Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Upgrade Price Change!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Question from a newb: Has anyone representing Tesla ever weighed in on an owners' forum?
I mean even just a little - to help us stop wasting time and energy, stop us spinning our wheels on uninformed conjecture?
Do they even read these things to get a pulse on engaged owners thoughts?

Even a low-level Tesla rep. who obviously can't make any policy (and explicitly says so) could help clarify lots of stuff....

Jon McNeill, @JonMc, prior President of Global Sales and Service, posted a few times, but he has since left Tesla. And I think someone from the Tesla body support group posted a couple times. But for the most part Tesla has no presence on TMC.

Pretty simple - because that particular EARLY reservation hangs in the balance.
Energy? 227 posts? Ask me again at 5000.
Sometimes I lose, sometimes Tesla loses (like when some buyers nab PUP & FUSC at the reduced price from Tesla) - but that's no reason not to try to makes things right...
Only losers don't try to prevent losses, or inequities...
I was going to add this to my other post but my edit time expired:
The roadster is a discretionary, almost whimsical, item.
The Model 3, to my mind at least (as my first new vehicle), was a nondiscretionary, almost mandatory, item "to accelerate the world's transition to sustainable energy."
Another tidbit: I told myself I would get either the $35K Model 3, or the Performance Version - whichever came first (just because I was tired of waiting, since 3-2016, and wanted to get this "show on the road!".)

I don't tell them they are a liar and an untrustworthy character
You need to write and read more carefully/precisely. Your incorrect use of the present tense and recharacterizing of what people said doesn't reflect well on you or the point(s) you're trying to make. They simply distract.

An example:
A - "I'll be visiting family for Christmas this year in December."
B - "Everyone with my forum handle has visited family this year in December."

A is likely true. B is not true. B will likely be true in December.

Compare with your statements about every Model 3 Performance buyer having paid the same price. You should had said something more like A, but you said something more like B -- repeatedly. Repeating it doesn't make it suddenly correct. Refining the assertion (some subset of every M3P buyer) and changing when you say it (perhaps May, 2019) might allow it to be correct at the future time. But what you said was definitely not correct today and likely not for the entirety of 2018.

Last edited:
Reactions: P85_DA
You need to write and read more carefully/precisely. Your incorrect use of the present tense and recharacterizing of what people said doesn't reflect well on you or the point(s) you're trying to make. They simply distract.

An example:
A - "I'll be visiting family for Christmas this year in December."
B - "Everyone with my forum handle has visited family this year in December."

A is likely true. B is not true. B will likely be true in December.

Compare with your statements about every Model 3 Performance buyer having paid the same price. You should had said something more like A, but you said something more like B -- repeatedly. Repeating it doesn't make it suddenly correct. Refining the assertion (some subset of every M3P buyer) and changing when you say it (perhaps May, 2019) might allow it to be correct at the future time. But what you said was definitely not correct today and likely not for the entirety of 2018.
All performance buyers paid the same price, or were offered a refund to make it the same price. Only P3D- buyers got less car than the others.

* disclaimer, this statement is about the price of the performance 3, and does not include additional options, state sales tax, state refunds, federal tax credits or FUSC or other early adopters incentives. Additional fees not included. FUSC keepers are subject to terms and conditions set forth by Tesla.

that better?

Reactions: Perry
All performance buyers paid the same price, or were offered a refund to make it the same price.

This is demonstrable false.

You can tell by the dozens of stories of folks here who had to explicitly ask for such a refund... often multiple times... and have still not received one (though many, but not all have now been offered one if they asked for it

Your continuing to speak in overly broad terms, to the point of saying glaringly untrue things, is not helping whatever point it is you think you are trying to make.

Only P3D- buyers got less car than the others.

Also false. They got a car not burdened with boat anchor wheels or brakes that'll do literally nothing useful on the street but cost more when they need replacing.

* disclaimer, this statement is about the price of the performance 3, and does not include additional options, state sales tax, state refunds, federal tax credits or FUSC or other early adopters incentives. Additional fees not included. FUSC keepers are subject to terms and conditions set forth by Tesla.

that better?

It's less factually incorrect at least... which I suppose is a sort of progress :)

• Disagree
This is demonstrable false.

Also false. They got a car not burdened with boat anchor wheels or brakes that'll do literally nothing useful on the street but cost more when they need replacing.

Well...in the interests of precision...not clear you were referring to the boat anchor wheels when you said "literally nothing useful", but the boat anchor wheels are paired with nice tires that stop you considerably faster! So that's useful in an emergency! Not clear whether someone would pay $5k (or is it $0 now? Or $2k? Or FUSC? I can't keep track) for nice tires though. :) It's the only thing I can think of that is better on the street though.

Personally I have the PUO, and it really is not something I would have chosen if 1) Track mode had been available in the Stealth P3D and 2) I didn't have lingering concerns about the brakes in the Stealth (which apparently disintegrated in track use in early reviews). Those are really the ONLY reasons that drove me to the P3D+ over the Stealth.

Overall, the wheels on the PUO are boat anchors, fragile, impractical pothole (& bump!!!) magnets, tires hurt efficiency, tires are expensive, and brakes made it hard to fit good 18" aftermarket wheels (and more importantly make it impossible to fit stock Tesla 18" wheels, which would be nice since they'd be cheap to get from someone selling them and I could put aeros on them). And it has lower ground clearance, so I spent two months building reinforced concrete blocks so it would clear my driveway.

I'm left with a car I really can't take on road trips since it has such an impractical range. I knew all this when I bought it though! One of these days someone will make 3rd party aeros on some sweet 18" rims which fit over the calipers. Somebody private message me when they exist, please!

I knew I was buying a software-optioned AWD Model 3 with worse wheels than regular AWD, but with track mode guaranteed and more durable calipers for track use. I got exactly what I wanted. Also, I love the car. "No ragrets"

Disclaimer: I have no opinion on this general discussion :) I feel like life goes on.

EDIT: Oops. I forgot the spoiler. That was SUPER important for me. Since I was coming from an STi. :) Yes I'm kidding.

Some would say that about the "Performance" flavor of Tesla offered so far. The Model 3 having a lower base price means the Performance flavors are even more so.
True enough.
In my (admittedly oddball-ish) case however I just wanted to get going in EVs, and would have jumped on the base $35K model had it come out first.
Nothing against the RWD-premium-interior, but I just gravitate towards the extreme ends of the spectrum - either the most bang for the buck, or simply the most bang. :)

Reactions: Msjulie
Well...in the interests of precision...not clear you were referring to the boat anchor wheels when you said "literally nothing useful", but the boat anchor wheels are paired with nice tires that stop you considerably faster! So that's useful in an emergency! Not clear whether someone would pay $5k (or is it $0 now? Or $2k? Or FUSC? I can't keep track) for nice tires though. :) It's the only thing I can think of that is better on the street though.

Personally I have the PUO, and it really is not something I would have chosen if 1) Track mode had been available in the Stealth P3D and 2) I didn't have lingering concerns about the brakes in the Stealth (which apparently disintegrated in track use in early reviews). Those are really the ONLY reasons that drove me to the P3D+ over the Stealth.

Overall, the wheels on the PUO are boat anchors, fragile, impractical pothole (& bump!!!) magnets, tires hurt efficiency, tires are expensive, and brakes made it hard to fit good 18" aftermarket wheels (and more importantly make it impossible to fit stock Tesla 18" wheels, which would be nice since they'd be cheap to get from someone selling them and I could put aeros on them). And it has lower ground clearance, so I spent two months building reinforced concrete blocks so it would clear my driveway.

I'm left with a car I really can't take on road trips since it has such an impractical range. I knew all this when I bought it though! One of these days someone will make 3rd party aeros on some sweet 18" rims which fit over the calipers. Somebody private message me when they exist, please!

I knew I was buying a software-optioned AWD Model 3 with worse wheels than regular AWD, but with track mode guaranteed and more durable calipers for track use. I got exactly what I wanted. Also, I love the car. "No ragrets"

Disclaimer: I have no opinion on this general discussion :) I feel like life goes on.

EDIT: Oops. I forgot the spoiler. That was SUPER important for me. Since I was coming from an STi. :) Yes I'm kidding.
The more you PUP'sters extol the virtues of my Aero-car, the better I feel. :)
Let's split the check $3K/$2K - if you ever receive it. :cool: -- Sorry, I just couldn't resist! :p

Once I tell you this you won't be able to un-see it. So skip to the next post now if you want to preserve the mental image of your car...

Putting the front badge on "the snout" gives the car an eyes, nose and mouth face. Normally the face is just eyes and snout (the mouth sort-of goes away). Am I right?

:) Maybe they will if they decide I'm too annoying :)
Ha! Anything's possible.
Speaking of "annoying" : allow me one final word about "the other forum" - I remain voiceless over there, and the price thread has been closed ! o_O (They seem to be extreme Tesla-can-do-no-wrong fanboys)

The final word on that thread was provided by the founder/administrator , TrevP: "Keep it civil and respectful, that's why you're here and not over "there"".

But wait - I am "over there". :) And I like it better. :cool:
Funny how they think they are better, or at least more "civil and respectful", than this forum. :D
I suspect that was uncivil too? :rolleyes: Lack or loss of respect? Yup. Sorry.....