Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Upgrade Price Change!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Funny. It is important to remember how many Roadsters a bunch of those folks have won, youtubers too. Some already have 2 - yikes! I'd love one but my bank account scolded me... foolish human
True, true.
We have to keep in mind those well-rewarded YouTubers and bloggers are essentially Tesla's marketing department.
They don't want to hear any dissension or criticism about Tesla from the likes of you and me... (me for sure anyway...) :)
But still, I find them entertaining and informative.

PS: By the time the roadster comes out most of them will have at least two, maybe more...
PPS: Save up for a used one! I might go that route too...

• Funny
Reactions: Msjulie
You guys are going to love this: Some poor guy on another forum (I'll withhold his member name in case he doesn't want it known on this forum) posted this (below) yesterday - and it got deleted! (The only reason I have it is because it got emailed to me.)

I reserved on August 5, 2017, ordered on July 2, 2018 and took delivery of my Silver P3 Stealth on October 11, 2018. Here are my communications with Tesla so far:
My Original email to Tesla on November 20, 2018:
After less than a month, I find out that Tesla has now included the Performance Upgrade Option as standard with
the Model 3 Performance. Even Elon Musk replied to some who were upset by this change, and offered a refund. I
cannot find any information about a possible refund on Tesla.com, only anecdotes and speculation on the forums.
Some folks were happy to give up supercharging for the refund, but I feel like the Supercharging for Life was
due to the early order, especially for those of us with reservations. I want to keep the Supercharging for
life, even though it is not transferable, but also get a refund of $5000 (plus tax), or upgrade my car with the
Performance Upgrade Option features. That is only fair.

Tesla reply on November 29, 2018:
Hi,
Thanks for contacting Tesla Support. I apologize for the delayed response.
I appreciate your enthusiasm for Tesla and share it.
I understand this issue has been a rather large pain point with customers and we have been giving that choice
between $5,000.00 refund and free supercharging for customers that had the PUP on their performance model to
make amends.
Unfortunately this does not extend to Performance model's that did not purchase the PUP. I am sorry the timing
didn't work out in your case to get the P model with the upgrade included. We will strive to make
pricing/packaging transitions less jarring in the future. But we cannot give you the refund as you did not pay
for the package, and we cannot give you the package at this point in time.
However, if anything changes on this I will let you know.
Have a good day.
Best,

My reply on November 29, 2018:
Thanks for finally getting back to me. I would like to escalate this issue and see what can be done to make
this right. I am not happy with this additional depreciation of a brand new card and I do not accept your
response. For one thing, I do have PUP, I did not order PUO and now that is standard with the Performance
model.
I do have a couple of other questions; can you confirm that my Model 3 Performance, without PUO, has different
hardware compared to the Model 3 Dual Motor (or is it just a software upgrade)? Will I get Track Mode? If the
answer is no to these questions, then I would like to discuss the option of downgrading to the Dual Motor, non
Performance and a refund of the difference.
I will patiently wait for your reply.

Tesla reply on December 2, 2018:
I will see what can be done in your case.
As far as your other questions. Yes, the hardware is different in the performance model--the highest rated
motors in the bunch are tested and selected in order to handle the increased power. There may be other hardware
differences but that is the most striking one.
"Track Mode, a highly anticipated software feature for the Performance Model 3, for all current Model 3
Performance owners with the Performance Upgrades Package." So if you do have PUP, as you say, then yes you
should have track mode. (But I see in your account you do not have PUP).
I don't know that you would be able to downgrade the car to normal dual motor.

My reply on December 4, 2018:
Here's my request, and I ask anyone who cares to tell me what they would want if this were their situation; let
me have the parts to make my Model 3 an actual Performance model. I'll even pay the Service Center to install
them, if that helps.
I wanted Track mode all along. Elon tweeted that all Performance models would get it, but then Tesla later says
only for Performance models with the Upgrade.
I would sincerely appreciate your help with making this right.

Tesla reply on December 5, 2018:
I would like to help you if possible. I sent a ticket over to your service center asking them if your request
would be possible and explaining the situation. I put a request on the ticket that they call you back to
discuss this. Please allow them 2-3 business days to get in touch with you.

Local Tesla Service Center called me with this info on December 5, 2018:
Performance Upgrade parts should be available to purchase in the futere and will allow software upgrade for
Track Mode, but no information about prices or availability yet.

So, my email reply to Tesla Customer Support on December 6, 2018:
While I appreciate the contact to my local Service Center, and they did call me yesterday (just to say that
they think the Performance parts will be available a-la-cart some time), I want an official statement from
Tesla that these parts will be supplied (at no cost since they are standard now). Like I mentioned, I would be
willing to pay for the installation, if that helps, but I think I am more than qualified to do that. It does
seem like they may need to push the update that will enable Track mode.
Thank you, I will wait for your reply, please escalate as needed.

Tesla reply on December 7, 2018 (full name and an actual e-mail return address from Tesla rep):
Thank You for contacting Tesla Support! The $5000 refund is applicable only to the Model 3 customers who
purchased the Performance Upgrade Package. According to our records, you do not qualify for this refund. There
has been no information released about any parts being made available to Model 3 Performance customers who did
not purchase the Performance Upgrade Package. I apologize for all of the confusion, and hope this clears up
everything. Thank You for being a part of the Tesla family!

Best regards,

Tesla is some piece of work!

I'm left with a car I really can't take on road trips since it has such an impractical range.
I totally relate. The range is pretty bad on the P3. With my driving all I can get out of 100% SOC is 140 miles. I've been trying to do this little 138 mile mountain circuit clock wise on a single charge but I always run out and have to recharge in Los Gatos SC.
Circuit.png

Not sure what you mean. The anonymous owner who had early contractually incentivized FUSC, and just wants PUP parts (and track mode - or downgrade to AWD) ?
I thought his request was reasonable.
He is one of the so-called Double-FUSC'rs.

You think asking for $5000 in free parts he chose not to order originally, in exchange for literally nothing, is reasonable?

Not sure what you mean. The anonymous owner who had early contractually incentivized FUSC, and just wants PUP parts (and track mode - or downgrade to AWD) ?
I thought his request was reasonable.
He is one of the so-called Double-FUSC'rs.

Because he is requesting even more than the P3D+ owners are getting:

I want to keep the Supercharging for
life, even though it is not transferable, but also get a refund of $5000 (plus tax), or upgrade my car with the
Performance Upgrade Option features. That is only fair.

To keep FUSC and get $5k back/the PUP hardware/software.

And I bet with the PUP hardware upgrade he would request to keep the old tires/wheels/brake hardware too.

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
You think asking for $5000 in free parts he chose not to order originally, in exchange for literally nothing, is reasonable?
The PUP parts were free to others less than a month after he took delivery - and shortly thereafter rebated to still others.
Both these groups got free installation too, which he is willing pay for, or do himself.

He also makes an interesting distinction between PUP and PUO (one which the Tesla rep didn't understand - or didn't want to).
He said he had PUP and wanted track mode. I think he means that he was going to upgrade the car himself (one way or another) and therefore wanted track mode. He admits he didn't chose Tesla PUO at the time - but of course would have, had he known it would free in short order.

As far as exchanging something for PUP parts (not worth $5K btw.), I'm sure he'd be willing to exchange one his 2 FUSC's (the gifted FUSC from Elon, not the "earned" FUSC he already had). :)

Finally, if they refuse him on all fronts, he asks to be downgraded to AWD.

I got the feeling track mode was VERY important to him, and if he couldn't get it one way or another he'd just go to a lower level car...

Anyway that's my read. He was willing to compromise. Tesla was not.

Last edited:
Because he is requesting even more than the P3D+ owners are getting:

To keep FUSC and get $5k back/the PUP hardware/software.

And I bet with the PUP hardware upgrade he would request to keep the old tires/wheels/brake hardware too.
I think you mean the FUSC?
I happen to believe that the "double-FUSC'rs" among the P3D+ owners should also be allowed to keep their "earned" FUSC. There aren't many of them because the deadline to get FUSC at the time was very short .
There are also a few (I call them the "Super-gifted", someone else suggested the "Gifted+") who managed to finagle free PUP and FUSC.

Nobody with P- wants the stupid parts for free, we want track mode, which was for “Performance”, not Performance with PUO or it would/should have been listed with PUO. Fix track mode where it works for all Performance, add the parts so TM works for all Performance (most are willing to pay), downgrade the car and give the $11k back (so we can go buy a P+), or give $5k back and forget about making P- TM. All of that sounds reasonable. Getting $5k back back because of a price change (PUO) is a lot more unreasonable, you got EXACTLY what you thought you were buying. We didn’t.

I decided to keep FUSC in the end. I know, I know. I live 1/2 mile from a supercharger station. I can supercharge every time I buy groceries. I have a 2nd EV, and my wife often ICEs the charger in the garage. If Tesla starts charging for electricity like EVgo ($.35/min at 50KW) then it will be more valuable. I like the no hassle. Even if the economics is dubious.

Reactions: mswlogo and Roys3