Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Permanon Aircraft Supershine on my Tesla – supposedly the latest and greatest in car finishes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The weather cooled down enough yesterday that I was able to finally clean the car (with Simple Green Extreme) and get the Permanon coat on.

To be honest, I'm not as impressed by the shine as I expected to be. Enough so that I put a second coat on the car today.

We'll see how it holds up to dust and cleaning. The "feel" of the coat is OK, but not as repellent and buttery smooth as I have had out of a good coat of polish+wax.

I took some in sun and garage pics to share.

IMG_20160726_132850[1].jpg
IMG_20160726_132904[1].jpg
IMG_20160726_132915[1].jpg
IMG_20160726_132934.jpg
IMG_20160726_133041[1].jpg
IMG_20160726_133056[1].jpg

Reactions: Nish
I think the answer to this is yes from the above discussion, but can someone confirm: Will Simple Green extreme aircraft remove Opticoat?
Unlikely.

Lots of threads on detailing forums about what it takes to remove last step products. Frankly, nothing removes a resin coating or nano coating as well as clay and polishing does. Really it's the polishing that removes the product.

With coatings like this, you need abrasive products to remove the coatings.

The weather cooled down enough yesterday that I was able to finally clean the car (with Simple Green Extreme) and get the Permanon coat on.

To be honest, I'm not as impressed by the shine as I expected to be. Enough so that I put a second coat on the car today.

It's really hard to get a white car to shine like the darker colored cars. Personally, I think your car looks great. Nevertheless, you're pointing out a pretty well known fact: the paint has to be in prime condition to allow the coating material to bond and bring out the shine. Permanon and other diluted spray coatings are fine, but they have to bond to something. If you don't have a completely prepped surface, bonding and results are going to suffer.

These beautiful cars you see from professional detailers are polished to a high grade shine well before the surface is coated, waxed or sealed. You simply can't just hope to spread an APC on a car then spray on a thing like Permanon and expect great results. You'll get temporary results, and they'll be just as you found -- OK.

I just applied it to our silver S and while it looks great, I agree it's not as "deep" a shine as I can get with wax and a polisher. However, it is a WHOLE lot easier, and frankly I'm not that much of an enthusiast. I used Simple Green Pro HD with a foam lance and some scrubbing and it seemed to get all the wax off.

One thing I was somewhat disappointed with, is that, while water beads up on it, it doesn't slide off the windshield the way it does with RainX. I'm going to try applying RainX on top of the Permanon coating I've got on the glass, but it's raining ATM. :)

Tires are ok too. On my MC red the depth of the shine and luster is better than with any other product I've used. Maybe it works differently on different colors. IMHO waxes have become ancient history.

Just placed my order thru Jetshine. Now all I need is my MS to arrive (ETA late Aug or Sept). :) Appreciate thorough review and advice on this product from all. I think will fit my needs perfect. I'm sure if cost is no object there are tons of alternate products that may be impenetrable, but for this price and doing a semi-monthly re-apply, will be fine.

So, finally washed the car after the first application, and I'll say I'm a convert. There was FAR less dirt attached to the surface than from my standard wax treatment, and the car does still have that gloss and buttery feel to to.

Still sticking with RAINX on the windshield and pano roof right now.

I was able to wash the car and then apply the first coat. Hopefully I did it right. But here are my pics I took.

View attachment 189215 View attachment 189216 View attachment 189217 View attachment 189218 View attachment 189219 View attachment 189220 View attachment 189221

Shiny! Looks good from here.

So, finally washed the car after the first application, and I'll say I'm a convert. There was FAR less dirt attached to the surface than from my standard wax treatment, and the car does still have that gloss and buttery feel to to.

Still sticking with RAINX on the windshield and pano roof right now.

I do like the DIY aspect of this - a lot. And the reapplication/maintenance appears to be as painless as it gets. Especially within a twice-monthly car wash regimen (and already with distilled water), reapplication twice a year or even quarterly will take no time at all.

So that leaves only the initial paint correction with which to contend. Good stuff indeed.

I've had Permanon on my car now for about two months. One thing I didn't notice at first is that the Multicoat Red actually has small flakes of slightly different red (thus the MC:). With Permanon the red actually sparkles in sunlight. The longer I have Permanon Aircraft Supershine on my car the more I like it. It's low maintenance with outstanding results.

I've now gotten into the habit of applying it every time the car is washed. Just mist a small amount on the microfiber cloth and wipe the car down -- takes about 10 minutes.

Reactions: ModelX
I am posting before completely reading this thread (almost done lol) just to say I am subscribing and will be back to provide any of my own experience that may help others.

My experience so far... I've messed up with cQuartz UK and never want to use a "semi permanent" product again on my own with limited time (though it worked great for me when applying on my own with a bathroom fixture so there's that).

So this product that is used in aviation that doesn't last so long (but presumably longer than a regular wax) is exactly where I'll be landing once I resurface my car (sigh - with P100 particulate filter).

Well I finally got around to applying RainX to the windows after having coating them with Permanon Aircraft. The RainX went on much more easily than previously. While there was still the buffing out process it was much easier than with untreated glass. Less drag on the cloth. I'm curious to see how long the RainX lasts.

I also tried putting a second coat of Permanon just onto the hood to see if I could see a difference. The first thing I noticed was that when cleaning off the miscellaneous bug and bird splatters, they just fell off by swiping over them with a wet sponge. Very nice. After applying the second Permanon coating, which took perhaps 3 minutes total, the shine is amazing! To me, it still looks different than wax and polishing though. The nearest comparison I can make is the difference between water and oil based furniture varnish.

Some notes on removing existing wax from a car.

I just removed the wax from our NSX to put on the Permanon and it went very well. I used Simple Green HD Pro, mixed 1 to 3, applied with a pressure washer and foam lance, then did a moderate scrubbing with a long handled brush and dual buckets, then repeated. After rinsing, I roughly dried the car and applied the Permanon. The first time applying Permanon is significantly slower than the second because the surface isn't as slick without the Permanon on it.

I've been waxing the NSX for many years, so there was a good layer on it and water beaded up very well. After the washing, water just lay flat on the surface, so I think I got all the wax off without too much work at all. With the Permanon, water beads up very well and tends to blow off.

Interestingly, the RainX on the glass surfaces didn't appear to be removed at all. Water beaded up and fell off as before.

A few notes about some more things I learned about Permanon that I though I should share:
  • Permanon has no wax or detergents in it whatsoever. The base element is Si 14 and there are some polymers added to help give the surface a smoother finish.
  • Permanon carries a charge so it bonds electrostatically with every surface. There is no chemical bond.
  • There is almost no difference between Aircraft Supershine and Platinum. Aircraft Supershine is, however, Boeing compliant.
  • People can absolutely use on the entire exterior and interior of a car. Cloth seats may be a little too porous for nanoparticles but it will not hurt them.
  • The nice thing about Permanon is after you are done applying it to your Tesla you can use on other cars, windows, appliances (including stainless steel), countertops, sinks, showers, toilets, lawnmowers, pools, hot tubs, boats, and any other hard surface.
  • Permanon is green. It is non-toxic, biodegradable, non-flammable.
Three basic ways that Permanon can fail:
  • Letting Permanon freeze or storing it above 105 or in direct sun can “kill” the nanos. So it is best to not leave it in your car where it can bake. Store it someplace in your home.
  • Applying to on a hot surface can kill the nanos.
  • A surface should be clean or Permanon will not be as effective.

@artsci - thank you for all of your detailed analysis. I'm expecting my MD bound Model X mid-dec and can't wait. I'm leaning toward permanon aircraft supershine based on your analysis. Just curious, are you still using it and finding it to be your preference?

2 main questions:

Between washes and re-spray, what soap are you using for standard washing? I get the impression you recommend simple green extreme for removing prior waxes, but what is your standard for a basic between permanon coating wash?

2nd one - using this on the interior... do you get really shiny interior? or does it just help with coating the seats, etc and not push an obnoxious shine inside? I love the exterior shine, but i'm not a fan of overly slick or shiny interior I guess. Any pics of interior with this stuff on?

Thanks so much for all of your posts and sorry to see you got rear ended!