Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

pete8314's Key Fob Cover

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tracking spreadsheet updated with the new requests - thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

Pete, Again thanks for all your efforts. I think a fair price based on what you are saying should be in the $12 range. If TMC was selling them I am sure their business'finance people would not let them out of their stores for less than $15. I will be sending in a paypal payment for my additional 10 fobs at $12/each and would encourage others to do likewise. Al

Thanks Al, appreciate the comments and support. This was never really meant to be a 'business' as such, but it's certainly at that awkward stage where it's more than a hobby, but I still like it. Assuming the first batch makes it out to everyone in one piece (I'm still concerned about pushing the limits on regular first-class mail - I am within the limits, but the mail sorting machines can be mean to envelopes containing something other than paper), then the price will be nearer $10/11, but if I have to go up to a small parcel, then it will get to $12 just because of the USPS costs. I have a few things to take care of, but once the bulk of the order on this forum are taken care of, I'll probably move to a more traditional sales model (eBay, Amazon, Shopify etc) to take some of the burden off me, as I'll be travelling for business later this year, so will not always be around to stuff envelopes. At that point the overheads do increase a little, but the amount of my time reduces, so I'm hoping it'll net out.

In any case, for the next batch that's due in a few weeks, I'll set up a quick website to organize the orders a little better, and to provide discounts for multiple units, and add a small shipping surcharge for Canada.

Best bet is to 'drive' it in nose first, so the 'truck' of the fob is at the hole end. I've been using one for about a month (and the Case Logic one before that for several months) and never had any issues, though on the next design, I've made the hole a little smaller, so it's a slightly tighter fit.

Tracking spreadsheet updated with the new requests - thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Al, appreciate the comments and support. This was never really meant to be a 'business' as such, but it's certainly at that awkward stage where it's more than a hobby, but I still like it. Assuming the first batch makes it out to everyone in one piece (I'm still concerned about pushing the limits on regular first-class mail - I am within the limits, but the mail sorting machines can be mean to envelopes containing something other than paper), then the price will be nearer $10/11, but if I have to go up to a small parcel, then it will get to $12 just because of the USPS costs. I have a few things to take care of, but once the bulk of the order on this forum are taken care of, I'll probably move to a more traditional sales model (eBay, Amazon, Shopify etc) to take some of the burden off me, as I'll be travelling for business later this year, so will not always be around to stuff envelopes. At that point the overheads do increase a little, but the amount of my time reduces, so I'm hoping it'll net out.

In any case, for the next batch that's due in a few weeks, I'll set up a quick website to organize the orders a little better, and to provide discounts for multiple units, and add a small shipping surcharge for Canada.
Pete, All of us that have an 'S' paid quite a bit of $ for them (some, like me, spent more on a car than they ever had before)...So, I think everyone should be happy to pay at least $12/fob cover. Great product....Still wish more people wanted blue:smile:! Al PS....They are also 'cool' and the cool factor is worth the $

Hi Pete. I put in an order for 2 of these on 6/12. I have not been following the thread since. I hope I didn't screw up and miss something important. Do I receive a PM or something when your inventory arrives? Also, can I upgrade my order to 6 (from 2)? Gifts!

Hi Pete. I put in an order for 2 of these on 6/12. I have not been following the thread since. I hope I didn't screw up and miss something important. Do I receive a PM or something when your inventory arrives? Also, can I upgrade my order to 6 (from 2)? Gifts!

No, you're good, you're at row 81 on the reservation list, you'll get another email from me as soon as more stock arrives with payment details.

- - - Updated - - -

I just found this thread.Please put me in for two grey ones.Thanks.

Done.

I've been using the new fobs for a few days now. I had been using the Logitech version. The insertion hole is a tad too large. On two occasions the fob has popped out. I have a small wire going directly from the fob to the key ring so I didn't lose the fob. My suggestion is on the next version that you decrease the diameter of the hole.

Andrew

I've been using the new fobs for a few days now. I had been using the Logitech version. The insertion hole is a tad too large. On two occasions the fob has popped out. I have a small wire going directly from the fob to the key ring so I didn't lose the fob. My suggestion is on the next version that you decrease the diameter of the hole.

Andrew
This is the reason I decided to try something else. I have the Logitech ones (actually bought packs- 4 total) thinking they'd be perfect. They are great. But I've found in practice that sometimes it will pop out of the holder, esp if pressing the opposite end (trunk or frunk depending on how you put it in). I had to attach one of the cell phone loops to it as well to prevent it from possibly getting lost. It's why I thought it would be better if the hole was actually closer to the middle to prevent it from popping out as easily. Smaller will help, but I still think it needs to be moved to the middle. And thus I gave up my spot on Pete's list (he had no problem filling it :)) That said, I loudly applaud Pete for his idea and effort!

I'm using another suggested fob cover in the original fob solution thread. It could also be fitted with a custom Tesla design. I wonder if anyone else would be as enterprising to custom order some of those. Just not sure where those would come from...

Pete - got the covers - they are awesome. Thanks for your efforts. FWIW, I found "reversing" the key fob in through the hole (so that the Tesla logo remains visible) worked best for me - nice snug fit with little chance for the key fob to slip out. The covers have received their fair share of oohs and aahs! :)

This is the reason I decided to try something else. I have the Logitech ones (actually bought packs- 4 total) thinking they'd be perfect. They are great. But I've found in practice that sometimes it will pop out of the holder, esp if pressing the opposite end (trunk or frunk depending on how you put it in). I had to attach one of the cell phone loops to it as well to prevent it from possibly getting lost. It's why I thought it would be better if the hole was actually closer to the middle to prevent it from popping out as easily. Smaller will help, but I still think it needs to be moved to the middle. And thus I gave up my spot on Pete's list (he had no problem filling it :)) That said, I loudly applaud Pete for his idea and effort!

I'm using another suggested fob cover in the original fob solution thread. It could also be fitted with a custom Tesla design. I wonder if anyone else would be as enterprising to custom order some of those. Just not sure where those would come from...

these fob covers are excellent. Nothing will beat them in terms of cool factor. I put a lanyard with a key ring through the fob and attached this to my key ring in addition to attaching the fob cover to my key ring.. the fob is essentially attached twice to the key chain.. it doesn't come out, but if it did, I won't lose the fob. No need to keep working on another solution.. this works perfectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.