Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Petition Launched to Enable Spotify for Tesla Owners in North America

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Following Elon Musk’s request for feedback this week, a former digital music executive launched an online petition to have Spotify enabled in Tesla vehicles.

The petition notes that Tesla has already enabled this feature in European Tesla models, but not for North American Tesla owners.

“We request Tesla enable this feature for U.S./North American Tesla owners,” the petition says. “If the reason it has not been enabled is related to cost, simply allow those of us with existing Spotify accounts to log in with our existing credentials. Non-Spotify customers can choose to open their own account if they desire. Tesla need not absorb the monthly costs.”

The petition was launched by David Pakman, a partner at venture capital firm Venrock, who has been involved in digital music for decades. Pakman was the CEO of eMusic, a digital retailer of independent music, co-founded “digital music locker” Myplay, and was vice president at N2K Entertainment, which created the first digital music download service. Pakman was also the co-creator of Apple’s Music Group, where he worked for five years.

“Please simply enable the Spotify app for U.S. owners,” the petition says. “No need to offer us free accounts, Tesla…we just want to listen to Spotify in the car without having to tether our phones!”

You can read the full petition here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Spotify .... Really?
AP2 dives towards almost every freeway off-ramp, while extra wide freeway lanes causes weaving back & forth like mr. Toad's Wild Ride & yet we need to petition music hardware. Sure - why not. Maybe some more cutsie easter eggs too. Anything but the "smooth as silk" safety that was alleged to get delivered, what, a year ago?
Great. Bring on more music.
(shaking head in sad despair)

Spotify .... Really?
AP2 dives towards almost every freeway off-ramp, while extra wide freeway lanes causes weaving back & forth like mr. Toad's Wild Ride & yet we need to petition music hardware. Sure - why not. Maybe some more cutsie easter eggs too. Anything but the "smooth as silk" safety that was alleged to get delivered, what, a year ago?

Spotify .... Really?

True but keep in mind it should take nearly zero work to do since it already exists in the EU...

I am a Spotify Premium subscriber. Also a Tidal HiFi subscriber. I love both services: Spotify for its enormous world-wide library, Tidal for its amazing sound quality and 1411Kbps bitrate. I would love to see both services supported by Tesla!

However, what I like about both of these premium streaming services the most:
  1. The ability to download my favorite albums to the phone and listen them off-line.
  2. The highest possible sound quality and streaming bitrate.
Unfortunately, I don't think this petition would achieve either one of those things. I doubt Tesla would allow high bitrate fleet-wide, as that would likely increase their monthly AT&T payments and I don't think they are ready to allow music downloads with their current computer hardware and software (perhaps someday in the future).

Yes, it would be cool to have Spotify as an option, but realistically I don't think I would be using it too much. I would likely still be relying on my phone and FLAC files on a USB drive for most of my music on the road.

I am a Spotify Premium subscriber. Also a Tidal HiFi subscriber. I love both services: Spotify for its enormous world-wide library, Tidal for its amazing sound quality and 1411Kbps bitrate. I would love to see both services supported by Tesla!

1. The ability to download my favorite albums to the phone and listen them off-line.
Unfortunately, I don't think this petition would achieve either one of those things. I doubt Tesla would allow high bitrate fleet-wide, as that would likely increase their monthly AT&T payments and I don't think they are ready to allow music downloads with their current computer hardware and software (perhaps someday in the future).

Yes, it would be cool to have Spotify as an option, but realistically I don't think I would be using it too much. I would likely still be relying on my phone and FLAC files on a USB drive for most of my music on the road.
I have a feeling folks playing FLAC files on USB drives are going to be the minority here. Most of us Spotify users are happy to use our own paid-for accounts. I'd even be happy to pay for data charges - though I realize that would require some additional work on Tesla's end. I listen to Slacker *every day* I drive, and I'd much rather be listening to Spotify as - outside my car - it's all I listen to.

Reactions: Xenoilphobe

Ya I really wish they would put even at minimum a 20-40GB SSD Caching drive in teslas. Bigger would be better but at the minimum it could cache songs/maps and even download some of them over wifi and make the user experience feel much faster. Would make an extreme difference in any 4g issues in regions or updates.

Best available sound quality on Amazon is 256 Kpbs while Spotify has a 320 Kbps rate.

Here is something you will recognize from Estonia and one of my favorites this time of year..

Da pacem Domine

Spiegel im spiegel

Amazon Music Unlimited vs. Spotify: How Do They Compare?

Spotify has the best pricing, highest quality, largest library and best user interface. Students only pay $5 per month!!!! for 320 Kbps and access to the largest library.

Free for ad-supported listening and shuffle-only play on mobile devices. $9.99/month for an individual Spotify Premium plan or $14.99/month for a family plan with up to 5 people. Students receive a 50% discount on individual subscriptions. But if you want the best experience for the best price, it's difficult to beat Spotify — especially if you're a student (or can swing an .edu e-mail address *hint hint*). With more than 30 million songs and incredible curated playlists, I think you'd be hard-pressed to find a better experience on the market today.

Last edited:
Spotify is hands down better than slacker in terms of song selection.
I don't know if it is because of a teaser account hat we get on the Tesla, but slacker only plays the song that I have selected maybe 50% of the time, that is if I can find it. It then goes to play something else random.

Please enable Spotify, even if it is a paid only option.

Come to think of it, it is likely due to so,e licensing restriction with Slacker that is preventing this. Slacker may have given Tesla a free basic account for all North American cars in exchange for exclusivity on the in car apps. In that case, lets enabling mirroring or a real App Store and set us free.

Reactions: Xenoilphobe
Just give us apple carplay/android audio then everyone can use whatever streaming service they want. Tesla doesn't need to be inventing their own streaming service. Put that money in to quality control. And give us music over USB cord instead of just bluetooth. Some people care about sound quality.