TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Petition to add tow hitch to Model 3

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by ratsbew, Oct 7, 2017.

Tags:
  1. 2018 Steve

2018 Steve Member

I do not know what difference single or dual motor makes, as long as you do not exceed the GVWR of the vehicle. The motor(s) do not know or care whether the passenger/cargo weight is all in the car or partly on a trailer, including the weight of the trailer. Of course there are other factors such as being able to help control stability that could make dual motors necessary.

2. ChrML

ChrML Member

There are several things that make dual motors make sense.

1. A car that has the ability to tow needs the same weight inside the car, plus the weight of the trailer. A reasonable sized trailer is around 1500 kg. So the weight pulled will be higher. I have no idea if it's a problem, but two motors will half the duty cycle load of each motor. Cooling system ofcourse it makes no difference.

2. Its mostly normal for scandinavian people to pull trailers after sedans at the moment. These people prefer 4-wheel drive, because it's winter half the year, and it's not that easy to get stuck.

3. Elon wants to reduce alternatives and put more stuff together as packages. Especially for the model 3. Also he wants to sell more of the expensive models. For that reason there's probably the plain model short and long range. Then the awd model with air suspension and hitch, short and long range.

Elon also wants to sell more Model X. So the max trailer weight will probably be significantly lower. Possibly around 1000-1300 kg.

3. 2018 Steve

2018 Steve Member

I would hope for a towing capability of 2,000 lbs including the trailer. The Model 3 weighs 3800 lbs. Again, if GVWR is not exceeded it should not be a strain on the power train. I believe that your thought of packaging the tow package with dual motors and air suspension makes sense for Tesla making more profit.

4. baoconnor

baoconnor Member

I have no plans to use my future M3 to tow anything unless it’s an emergency. However I would like to be able to attach a bike rack to it.

• Like x 7
  5. ModelNforNerd

ModelNforNerd Active Member

LOL at everyone mad about things I said 3 months ago. Let zombie threads lie, folks.

6. normr

normr Member

There are some of us that need to occasionally tow a small boat or jet ski a few miles to a public boat ramp, that’s why I want a tow hitch option like in the Model X

• Like x 3
  7. normr

normr Member

It looks like he said yes to the heated seats, no to the tow hitch and doesn’t matter to the extended warranty

8. normr

normr Member

I personally wouldn’t want an older Model S, because most of them that I’ve seen in the Model 3 upper price lines, don’t have autopilot hardware

• Like x 1
  9. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

9AD34F27-4FF0-4775-A658-447EF24CA46C.jpeg
    I beg to differ and pulled a trailer over 13,000 miles with my Volt. Plenty of power.

• Like x 3
  10. ModelNforNerd

ModelNforNerd Active Member

Model S's with AP1 hardware are just now coming off lease. Expect to see more of them available soon.

11. Smokkelaar

Smokkelaar Member

Most of the cars in the netherlands have a tow hitch. And i need 1 on every car i have.
    Most of the rides i make with a trailer is less than 100km (60 miles).
    So I'm still waiting on some details.
    but I'm afraid that the towhitch is something for the Model X and Y.
    But i have still some hopes more details will be shared when the Dual motor details are anounced somewhere in March.

• Like x 2
  12. BluM3

BluM3 New Member

I am interested in a tow hitch as well for my bike rack. I live in NC. If anyone in or near Tempe AZ wants a free U-Haul hitch with unlimited warranty, see below:

Tesla Model 3 Long Range Rear Wheel Drive

Your vehicle requires a custom-built hitch
    Custom-built hitch
    If U-Haul doesn't have a hitch for your vehicle, nobody does!

Your vehicle requires a custom-built hitch which we will gladly fabricate for you. If you are able to bring your vehicle to our Tempe, AZ Research & Development facility we'll provide you with a free U-Haul custom trailer hitch, including free installation, and a lifetime unlimited warranty in exchange for the use of your vehicle to fabricate the trailer hitch. We'll need the vehicle for two to three days. If you are interested in this offer please complete the form below and we'll contact you to schedule your appointment. This offer is only valid until one customer per vehicle can fulfill our requirements.

13. Randy Spencer

Randy Spencer Active Member

I need to do that. Where's my car?

-Randy

• Like x 1
  14. egilaslak

egilaslak New Member

Any news on this front? :)

15. Smokkelaar

Smokkelaar Member

no :( with the M3 release in Europe, no tow bar is announced or airsuspension

16. Dan Detweiler

Dan Detweiler Active Member

Pretty confident both of these will happen eventually. Remember, they are planning to open up Europe and China in the next 6 months. Add to this the Model Y and pickup reveals probably happening in the first quarter of next year. Got a lot on their plate right now.

Dan

17. ELECTRIC4ME

ELECTRIC4ME Member

I'm loving having a hitch on my TM3 as I hate regularly putting bike(s) inside the car.

And it also made a good bumper reinforcement when I got rear ended recently and the other car's bumper hit me down low.

IMG_0001.JPG
    [​IMG]

• Helpful x 1
  18. Xenoilphobe

Xenoilphobe Active Member

#218 Xenoilphobe, Dec 7, 2018 at 12:28 PM
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2018 at 12:58 PM
    Is that a dent in the tow hitch? Wow!!

19. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Member

I'm on board. The only thing I miss from my SUV is being able to throw in a bunch of mulch or whatever. A small trailer would help out quite a bit.

• Like x 2
  20. ELECTRIC4ME

ELECTRIC4ME Member

The hitch is dented and pushed into the sheet metal of the trunk, denting that. F'ing hit and run. :mad:
    Fortunately I had new hitch on-hand and that went on easily.

• Informative x 1