Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Petition to add tow hitch to Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last edited:
I wonder what class the Roadster 2.0 can run in?

Sports Car Club of America Never mind I found it - they race in Super Stock Class

Roadster classified SS for SCCA Solo Autocrossing

These cars are going to get SMOKED>>>>>

MW M3 (‘08+)
BMW Z4 M Coupe & Roadster (‘06+)

Chevrolet Corvette C5 (all)
Chevrolet Corvette C6 (all non ZR-1)

Dodge Viper R/T, GTS
Dodge Viper SRT-10

Lexus IS-F

Lotus Elise N/A (‘05+) (see App. F)
Lotus Esprit Turbo
Lotus Exige N/A (‘06+)

Mazda RX-7 Turbo (’93+)

Mercedes C63 AMG

Porsche 911 (996 chassis) (‘98+)
Porsche 911 (997 chassis)
Porsche 911 Turbo, 930 (2WD)
Porsche 911 GT3 (996)
Porsche Boxster S (‘05+)
Porsche Cayman S (‘06+)

Last edited:
The Roadster is a sportscar, I've never seen anyone tow with a Ferrari or Lambo.
tesla_car-pic_Sun-Frost.jpg
Supercar%20Towing%20Trailer%20-%2028.jpg
musician-thomas-dolbys-time-machine-with-tesla-roadster-electric-car-march-2012_100386776_l.jpg

I feel that we need to start a push to express our desire for a tow hitch on Model 3 so that it makes it to production soon.

Having a tow hitch largely removes the need for an ICE pickup truck since you can accomplish 90% of the tasks with a $1000 utility trailer.

It is such a glaring oversight.
I have no need for a tow hitch. Never saw a BMW 3 series with one...possibly an Audi A4? Do people petition BMW, Audi and Mercedes for these sort of things or are they just custom additions. I have not been on the Audi forum in ages, but I remember their posts being more about custom additions. Seems like people think Tesla will add stuff if you petition? Not sure why?

I have no need for a tow hitch. Never saw a BMW 3 series with one...possibly an Audi A4? Do people petition BMW, Audi and Mercedes for these sort of things or are they just custom additions. I have not been on the Audi forum in ages, but I remember their posts being more about custom additions. Seems like people think Tesla will add stuff if you petition? Not sure why?

Last edited:
In America it seems everyone has an old friend with long beard living in a trailer. That you can borrow a dirty old pickup from whenever it's spring and you need to drive the gardening trash to the deposit.

In Europe most people are self-sustained and has their own car. About 80% of all sold fossil cars in Norway have a hitch, even the BMW M3. Because whenever we need to transport something down the road, it takes 1 minute to put on the trailer, or 10 min to rent one from the nearest gas station for 10$. It's just so convenient.

If you drive to IKEA to buy something big, they even lend you a trailer for free to tow your new thing home yourself.

Also Norwegians have the world record in refurbishing their homes. I did my apartment a few years ago. Pulled at least 50 loads with trailer that year behind my Volvo 940 sedan. Normally I tow about 10 times a year.

I think it's strange that almost all ICE cars come with an optional hitch, and suddenly its really hard with EL. I just wish the manufacturers knew how many people don't buy EV just because its lacking a 1000$ piece of steel. Heck, I don't even care about the steel, just give me the piece of freaking paper that will let me certify an aftermarket hitch.

Well, actually I don't care anymore. They got what they want. Bought an expensive X instead... partly because of the tow hitch.

This is not an unusual sight in our neighborhood. I think we have about 40 trucks on our street and none of them are tradesmen, ranchers, really have need for one. These are commuters cars or daily drivers.

No an unusual site in our neighborhood.jpg

And this too - I wish I had a garage like this.

car lift.jpg

I think you might have seen too many mudfests on youtube.. The theme song to this should be "America F$%# Yeah" - from the movie Team America.

Last edited:
Tesla has never made a RWD car approved for towing. They purportedly have programming that allows the AWD vehicle to tow more safely. It probably also distributes the stress over two motors instead of one.

Maybe they plan to have towing with the dual motor Model 3.

Tesla has never made a RWD car approved for towing. They purportedly have programming that allows the AWD vehicle to tow more safely. It probably also distributes the stress over two motors instead of one.

Maybe they plan to have towing with the dual motor Model 3.
Makes sense. Probably dual motor, that also includes air suspension and tow hitch.

Reactions: BerTX
I think you might be confused, I understand that his priority is to have a car that can tow things, the problem is that the model 3 may not be capable of fulfilling his priorities
Look, some of us own things like boats and jet skis that we need to tow occasionally, right now I have a SUV with a factory tow package that I plan to sell when I get my M3 and I personally would like to see the tow option that I’ve seen for the Model X that plug in, I don’t want an aftermarket hunk of steel hanging under my car all the time, I want this beauty pictured below

Attachments

• EEEA753C-77E6-4046-A5E6-3C764A60EEF5.png
    EEEA753C-77E6-4046-A5E6-3C764A60EEF5.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 69
Reactions: GSP