Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Peugeot 5008 1.2l petrol 130hp vs Model 3/Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know this is a Tesla forum but I thought I will discuss this here as recently I had to hire a 7 seater for a trip to highlands. Looked for a X but couldn’t find any for hiring and the only option where I live was to hire the Peugeot 5008. I wasn’t sure about the car and the trip involves driving all the way to highlands with 6 people and luggage and I being just the only driver. I have never driven a Peugeot before let alone a 7 seater. I was worried about the ride and comfort and also the manual gear box. The engine is a 3 cylinder 1.2L with 130bhp. That worries me with 6 people, child seats and luggage etc.,

But I was in a surprise with this car. It drove so well that it has no right to drive in that fashion. It was so comfy and so easy to drive. The 1.2 was a gem of an engine didn’t break a sweat anywhere even to the way to the cairngorm mountain railways with 6 people.

I have driven all of the Tesla’s and I can honestly say none of them are so good to drive without breaking a sweat. If only if, Model Y drives like that that would be a dream car. I wouldn’t mind buying one of the Peugeot e 2008/3008 as my next car, though not sure how good the electric drive train is.

I had 3 people carriers, back in the day. The Crysler Grand Voyager (90s I think) which was cavernous, but the crash rating was terrible and didn't fit with it being used to haul the kids around (by a variety of drivers). We then hade a Renault Espace - the seats could be taken out of that (configurable 3-across or 2-spaced-wider) made it a very flexible vehicle. When we came to replace that it was no longer available and we got a Seat Alhambra - bought because I looked in a car magazine and that was the top choice. It was fine, but the smallest cabin. No way would that fit the luggage for 7 people in the boot.

We drove to the continent in that many times. 7-up for 12 hours driving was cramped for the 3-seat row.

Kids have grown up, so that just leaves the rash eBay purchase collection - thus replaced the People Carrier with Model-Y and a trailer

Last edited:
Makes you wonder how good the electric drivetrains will be after another 100 years of refinement :)

(I know EV's have been around as long as petrol cars but they have not really been undergoing the same development process as ICE engines have since the early 20th century.)

100yrs? Hopefully cars will be nonexistent. Hopefully a genuinely cheap form of fusion provides enormous power and allows for esoteric forms of transport that don't need roads.
..but they said nuclear power would make electricity so cheap it'd be free ...

Makes you wonder how good the electric drivetrains will be after another 100 years of refinement :)

(I know EV's have been around as long as petrol cars but they have not really been undergoing the same development process as ICE engines have since the early 20th century.)
I think Tesla’s drive train is pretty good so no problem with that. It is just the ride and handling, the Peugeot handled and rode so well for a 7 seater I just couldn’t believe. It wouldn’t be on any of my list of cars to buy but now I am thinking about going for the 3008 e for my next. It is just I am not that confident of their e drive train. Their small petrol is unparalleled when compared to any of the other ICE I have driven.

I think Tesla’s drive train is pretty good so no problem with that. It is just the ride and handling, the Peugeot handled and rode so well for a 7 seater I just couldn’t believe. It wouldn’t be on any of my list of cars to buy but now I am thinking about going for the 3008 e for my next. It is just I am not that confident of their e drive train. Their small petrol is unparalleled when compared to any of the other ICE I have driven.
I imagine there will be incremental improvements in motor technology but you have a point. ICE went from probably single digit efficiency to about 30% efficiency in about 100 years. Electric motors are probbably 90+ percent efficient now so not much scope for gains. I guess they can get smaller, lighter, cheaper and use less exotic materials though.
Battery is obviously where the big gains will be. I wonder how long before we hit a 1000wh/kg?
Maybe then finally all the Daily mail readers who won't look at an EV until it does 600miles and takes 5 minutes to charge will finally be able of replace the Diesels they have been passing down from generation to generation by that point and stop holding out for those hydrogen cars they are all waiting for.

Wow, and there was me thinking your OP was being sarcastic. Clearly not.

Reactions: FEERSUMENDJIN
Maybe then finally all the Daily mail readers who won't look at an EV until it does 600miles and takes 5 minutes to charge will finally be able of replace the Diesels they have been passing down from generation to generation by that point and stop holding out for those hydrogen cars they are all waiting for.
you forgot to add that this distance they travel every day, daily, while towing a caravan and a trailer at the same time

Reactions: shthpnz
To be honest I think the key take away here is the ride of Tesla's is pretty poor. Even with the improved "comfort" suspension it could still be a lot better if you ask me. I also don't buy the has to be harsh to be sporty, it's just a sign of cheap suspension is all. You can have both comfort and good handling in corners.

I'm with you OP, I love my Discovery 5 and that's the diesel with 300hp. It's pretty nippy (Obviously not Tesla fast) and it's just nice all the space and comfort that it offers. I enjoy all the space and not having to take 2 vehicles places when going somewhere with my parents for instance. Great for a lazy cruise and comfortable, relaxing drive.

It's one of those vehicle types that until batteries really up their density don't work well as an EV. I'm interested to see what the EV Range Rover is like. It's got the same aerodynamic's of 0.30cd that I think the Rivian has. Those have a 135kWh battery to get 300 miles odd with a 180kWh pack coming to get them to around 400 miles. Seems though they do around 2 - 2.2miles per kWh at most and weight 3,200kg. A pothole creating monster ;)

Reactions: spdpsba
The new e 3008 which will debut later this year doesn’t look bad. Has a mustang feel to it!

1686073367716.png

1686073321207.png