Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PG&E discontinuing EV-A rate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got the same letter, apparently there is no grandfathering. This is such BS...I just installed solar this summer. They’re obviously doing this to make money since many customers are adding solar and they need to find their bankruptcy and lawsuit costs.
It says EV-A is closing in November. So now the question is, is it worth staying on the new new EV2-A or switch to a different time of use plan? Anyone have a spreadsheet that can do some calculations based on solar production estimate and last years worth of usage?

And I encourage everyone to call PG&E and complain, I certainly plan to give them and earful and tell them I may have not even purchased solar couple months ago if this was the case.

Hello,

I have a similar situation. Just hung up with PG&E. The agent informed me that I should be grandfathered in, but cannot confirm. Will have a supervisor look into this. They want to investigate why I got the letter. I told them about your situation, and they wanted to reference your account and wanted to know how/why you got the letter also. I told them that I saw your info on the forum and do not have much detail about your account. It seems that there might be some issues with the list of people getting the notice.

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo
@arnolddeleon and any others on E-6 rate plan. I installed a 5kW solar system in 2008, have a Tesla 3, and am installing a single PowerWall today. I've been on E-6 rate plan throughout, and am very interested in how your costs changed on E-6 plan after you installed PowerWall. The Nidlli PG&E tool doesn't show E-6 w PowerWall unfortunately.

Thanks for any inputs!

I received the letter last week that I will be switched over in November. I called pge this morning and they told me the letter was a mistake and I will be grandfathered in until 2024. I added to my solar system in December ‘18 and the ev rate faq on the pge website clarifies 5 years of grandfathering for customers on nem 2.0.

• Informative
I received the letter last week that I will be switched over in November. I called pge this morning and they told me the letter was a mistake and I will be grandfathered in until 2024. I added to my solar system in December ‘18 and the ev rate faq on the pge website clarifies 5 years of grandfathering for customers on nem 2.0.

@bayareaever Hello, that is cool. I am in the same boat, but PG&E is reviewing my case. Can you please provide me the link on PG&E website you found the faq. I need to point it to the PG&E rep. Thanks.

Explore EV Fundamentals

Here is the link to the faq and a screenshot of the details.

Best of luck dealing with them. I’m pretty disappointed overall that they are dis-incentivizing solar/evs but I suppose everyone has to pay into the system especially in light of their bankruptcy.

Attachments

• 6B2ED0C9-7449-41E5-8AF6-E24A642FDBFA.jpeg
    6B2ED0C9-7449-41E5-8AF6-E24A642FDBFA.jpeg
    309.8 KB · Views: 82
  • Informative
I am wondering if I expand my solar system by November which will force me to NEM 2
I supposedly was forced to NEM2 earlier in January of this year but other than an email stating they were going to, I don't have any confirmation. I had made an increase in my NEM1 system that put me over allowed modification.

I have not gotten the letter yet but hopefully it will not come until 2025. Ironically I did my best to try to stay on NEM1 and PG&E was having none of it at the time.:)

Is anyone on E-6 rate plan with PV and a PowerWall? I installed a 5kW solar system in 2008, have a Tesla 3, and am installing a single PowerWall today. I've been on E-6 rate plan throughout, and am very interested in how your costs changed on E-6 plan after you installed PowerWall. The Nidlli PG&E tool doesn't show E-6 w PowerWall unfortunately. The EV-A rate plan, which I planned to go on i now closed, so looking for best options going forward, which may be the grandfathered E6 plan.

Thanks for any inputs!

Explore EV Fundamentals

Here is the link to the faq and a screenshot of the details.

Best of luck dealing with them. I’m pretty disappointed overall that they are dis-incentivizing solar/evs but I suppose everyone has to pay into the system especially in light of their bankruptcy.

I made a request to grandfather my account. It was denied today. Here is my scenario:

I received NEM1 PTO in August, 2008. I enrolled in the EV-A plan in April, 2019. I upgraded my solar system by 3.4KW and received my NEM2 PTO in June, 2019. Based on this info, I should be able to keep my EV-A plan through November, 2024. I am being told that they are going by my NEM1 PTO date and not NEM2 PTO date. As a result, I am being converted from EV-A in November, 2019.

@bayareaever Isn't my scenario similar to yours?

I made a request to grandfather my account. It was denied today. Here is my scenario:

I received NEM1 PTO in August, 2008. I enrolled in the EV-A plan in April, 2019. I upgraded my solar system by 3.4KW and received my NEM2 PTO in June, 2019. Based on this info, I should be able to keep my EV-A plan through November, 2024. I am being told that they are going by my NEM1 PTO date and not NEM2 PTO date. As a result, I am being converted from EV-A in November, 2019.

If that is the case, then they're even less likely to consider my Powerwall PTO date as the qualifying date for my grandfathering.

Yes, my situation is virtually the same, so likely one of us is being given the wrong information by pge phone reps who don’t know what they’re talking about. Mine checked with her supervisor and gave me a confirmation number but nothing in writing. Hopefully my rate doesn’t change in November despite what I was told.

The whole situation is just ashame, given that the cpuc has allowed this to happen, especially if the grandfathering rules (which are buried on the website) aren’t being applied fairly. Most customers will probably just accept the new rate without realizing the financial implications because the math is not exactly straightforward.

Someone should tweet Elon so he is aware of what pge is doing to solar/ev customers.

Yes, my situation is virtually the same, so likely one of us is being given the wrong information by pge phone reps who don’t know what they’re talking about. Mine checked with her supervisor and gave me a confirmation number but nothing in writing. Hopefully my rate doesn’t change in November despite what I was told.

The whole situation is just ashame, given that the cpuc has allowed this to happen, especially if the grandfathering rules (which are buried on the website) aren’t being applied fairly. Most customers will probably just accept the new rate without realizing the financial implications because the math is not exactly straightforward.

Someone should tweet Elon so he is aware of what pge is doing to solar/ev customers.

Edit: my pto dates are almost the same as yours but I’ve been on the ev-a rate for much longer ( I don’t know how long exactly but I’ve been driving an ev since 2011). Maybe that makes a difference for the grandfathering rules? I don’t remember seeing anything about length of time on the rate.

Hello,

I have a similar situation. Just hung up with PG&E. The agent informed me that I should be grandfathered in, but cannot confirm. Will have a supervisor look into this. They want to investigate why I got the letter. I told them about your situation, and they wanted to reference your account and wanted to know how/why you got the letter also. I told them that I saw your info on the forum and do not have much detail about your account. It seems that there might be some issues with the list of people getting the notice.

I was told the letter was sent in error, since I just had my interconnect enabled for NEM 2 in August. I have been on EV-A for over a year.

does anyone know if E-TOU-B is still open to new customers? although PGE's website says that switching to E-TOU-A or E-TOU-B would result in the same yearly cost, my own analysis indicates that E-TOU-B would be slightly cheaper. the tariff document says there is an initial enrollment cap of 225,000 customers.

also these guys are brilliant - if EVA had persisted i would have recouped the cost of my PV system in 10 years. after they end EVA for me in 2020, switching to E-TOU-B will push breakeven out to 14 years. if EVA had never existed and i was on E-TOU-B from the start, the breakeven would have been 15 years. i hope they pay the guys/gals responsible for rejiggering the rates a lot of money, because they clearly know exactly how to undo what they've done. the only question is why they even established EVA in the first place as it was far too customer-friendly.

the only question is why they even established EVA in the first place as it was far too customer-friendly.
The EV rate is the successor to the "experimental" E-9 rate. That rate plan was even more customer friendly. When I got my RAV4 EV in 2013, I was able to charge during Summer months for less than 4c/kWh. That was the Baseline Off-Peak Summer price. Daytime generation, even at Baseline was earning 10c to 31c/kWh. On annual true-up it wasn't that cheap because I went way over Baseline due to poor solar generation. Incremental EV charging cost was then 20c/kWh in the Winter.

although PGE's website says that switching to E-TOU-A or E-TOU-B would result in the same yearly cost
How would they know? On E-TOU-B it you are claiming that you will only charge the car on that meter. On E-TOU-A you can use any power you want and they have no idea what is consuming it.

I also am considering moving to E-TOU-B if I get the dreaded letter. But what worries me is that they will next establish the requirement for "virtual or sub meters" on car chargers anyway making E-TOU-B moot.

Electric Vehicle Submetering Pilot Program