Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PG&E proposes 18% to 45% rate hikes (electric and gas) beginning 2023 ending 2026 to address wildfire risk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

holeydonut

Supporting Member
Jun 27, 2020
East Bay NorCal
Listings
Looks like PG&E believes it needs a few billion dollars to make their grid safe (edit, and improve infrastructure and better fund its pension), And since they can't make their operations more lean and intelligent, that just means it's time for rate payers to pony up.

Contrary to what some news outlets have indicated, this is a straight up 18% increase to gas and electric in 2023 compared to 2021. After 2023, rates will go up further in addition to this 18%. That is why for some people, their gas bill will go up around 45% by 2026 compared to today's rates if the CPUC allows this.

They conveniently provided example tables of what an E-1 Electric and G-1 Gas (non-CARE) customer will see on an average bill. For example, Zone X (the most populated residential zone) will see a monthly 488 kWh electricity bill go up 18.1% from the most recent rates enacted this spring to the implementation of this proposal in 2023. Additional increases will hit in subsequent years so by 2026 (for just this proposed action), rates will go up 23%. On the gas side, the first year increase is 18% as well on a 37 therms average monthly bill. But if you look out to 2026, the expected bill will go up 45% compared to the current 2021 bill.

1625153358120.png

1625153562840.png

One thing rate payers should consider is that PG&E's current proposal lifts rates across the board for non-CARE and CARE/FERA. The CPUC has historically denied such blanket rate increases because they feel lower income folks are not in a position to manage these rate increases. So, typically by the time all things are resolved, the non-CARE folks will pay more while the CARE population will see less impact.

This Rate Case proposal says nothing about solar, NEM, TOU, etc.

Last edited:
Looks like PG&E believes it needs a few billion dollars to make their grid safe (edit, and improve infrastructure and better fund its pension), And since they can't make their operations more lean and intelligent, that just means it's time for rate payers to pony up.

Contrary to what some news outlets have indicated, this is a straight up 18% increase to gas and electric in 2023 compared to 2021. After 2023, rates will go up further in addition to this 18%. That is why for some people, their gas bill will go up around 45% by 2026 compared to today's rates if the CPUC allows this.

They conveniently provided example tables of what an E-1 Electric and G-1 Gas (non-CARE) customer will see on an average bill. For example, Zone X (the most populated residential zone) will see a monthly 488 kWh electricity bill go up 18.1% from the most recent rates enacted this spring to the implementation of this proposal in 2023. Additional increases will hit in subsequent years so by 2025 (for just this proposed action), rates will go up 23%. On the gas side, the first year increase is 18% as well. But if you look out to 2026, the expected bill will go up 45% compared to the current 2021 bill.

View attachment 680109

View attachment 680115

One thing rate payers should consider is that PG&E's current proposal lifts rates across the board for non-CARE and CARE/FERA. The CPUC has historically denied such blanket rate increases because they feel lower income folks are not in a position to manage these rate increases. So, typically by the time all things are resolved, the non-CARE folks will pay more while the CARE population will see less impact.

This Rate Case proposal says nothing about solar, NEM, TOU, etc.
So the higher the rates go, the more batteries and solar look good? And the higher gas goes, the better my 99% electric home looks. I just need PGE to approve my 30kw of panels and I am all set. :)

So the higher the rates go, the more batteries and solar look good? And the higher gas goes, the better my 99% electric home looks. I just need PGE to approve my 30kw of panels and I am all set. :)

PG&E keeps arguing that you aren't paying enough for solar, so I think they'll find a way to squeeze blood from you eventually. But yes, getting solar and batteries (at least for now) is the way to go.

If you look at the joint IOU NEM 3 proposal, they want to put a meter between your solar and your house and see how much energy you're using. Then bill you for that energy directly while charging you a fee for exporting any solar to their grid.

PG&E keeps arguing that you aren't paying enough for solar, so I think they'll find a way to squeeze blood from you eventually. But yes, getting solar and batteries (at least for now) is the way to go.

If you look at the joint IOU NEM 3 proposal, they want to put a meter between your solar and your house and see how much energy you're using. Then bill you for that energy directly while charging you a fee for exporting any solar to their grid.
yep nuts

Reactions: MontyFloyd

Production meters are quite common. They're used in places that have incentives based on production.

An advantage of doing this is that there's full accounting instead of having to estimate small-scale generation for figure out demand.

Information can be used for good and bad.

Does the proposed rate increase cover the cost of burying power lines just announced?

While the proposal from PG&E a few weeks ago does not expressly call out the 10,000 miles of underground lines, it is implied that the 10,000 of lines announced today will require some portion of the rate increase requested on July 1.

I still think it's sus how the news/media has not picked up on the massive natural gas rate increase... I hope the CPUC doesn't get fixated on the power-rates and kind of shrugs off the monster natural gas rate increase.

Some people like me can't fit more solar on our roofs and I can't get my furnace and hot water heater over to electric in a reasonable way.

Lol the public comments for CPUC Proceeding A2106021 (the one for this U39 M rate increase proposal) is keeping me entertained through my morning meetings. Unfortunately nobody is picking up on the 40% to 45% increase to natural gas. PG&E's clever trick of putting all focus on the Energy increase means they can drop the energy rate increase to 9% instead of 18% and people will think this is a win.

Vincent Garza from Fresno says:
The idea that the demons at PG&E want to raise rates while they continuously mismanage public utilities, leading to mass death, is absolute insanity. I know they have no souls, but the commission might, and residents demand that you reject this psychotic proposal and tell PG&E to be responsible corporate citizens or face consequences.

Charles Millard from Fresno says:
PROFESSIONAL GRAFT & EXTORSION.....18% Rate increases while they have BILLIONS being held in reserve. Let's have a public release of their TRUE financial situation.They are just like the State of California with it's "Rainy Day Funds". Corrupt? File bankruptcy over and over again, while you are guaranteed paying your shareholders 10% return on "Their" investments?? Pay millions in bonuses at the same time you screw us to death?? The CPUC is more than likely in cahoots with this scum and has NEVER seemed to do S**T for the rate paying "Customer" that they are supposed to be looking out for. We already pay billions for utilities and now they want billions more. Worst of all they seem to have total protection from any of our laws or regulations which just seem to be "For Thee & Not For Me". How many times can you go bankrupt and just by some miracle,-our money-, keep coming out of the other side to just keep taking more and more from us? I've got a couple of units of O+ blood left....why don't you just come SUCK THAT 'OTTA ME TOO while 'yer at it??? If we could generate electricity from all the hot air being released from you jerks, we wouldn't need PG&E at all......18%?? HELL NO!

Richard Hellam from Seaside says:
Rates are way too high now. Act like you serve the public and deny this increase.

Michael McKinney from Novato says:
How long will PG&E survive as a privately owned public utility? As long as our public officials -- and we who elect them -- keep forgiving its criminal activity and fiscal mismanagement. There's no need to dredge up the crimes exposed by Erin Brockovich some 30 years ago -- or the taxpayer bailout of 2001. Within the past two years, PG&E has pled guilty to 85 counts of manslaughter and has successfully lobbied our lawmakers to save it from bankruptcy at a cost of tens of billions of taxpayer dollars. Now its "new" board of directors is asking the CPUC to approve -- in our name -- an 18% rate hike! And why not? Aren't they doing us a favor by not asking for more? Is there any serious pressure on the CPUC - or Governor Newsome-- to say "no". Maybe there is. Maybe there's even pressure to elect representatives based on their commitment to abolish PG&E rather than defend it. The kind who would institute public ownership of California's energy resources, ensuring that these were managed in terms of public safety and environmental sustainability rather than private profit. I'd call that a hope -- that the majority of Californians will reject not only the Republicans but the "Republicrats" who satisfy their corporate donors while California -- and the rest of the world -- continues to burn.

William Cahill of Clayton says:
The CPUC needs to start doing its job and hold PG&E accountable for the death and destruction it has caused over the last 40+ years. Why is the "C" Suite not in jail? An average person would have been jailed long ago. If the CPUC did its job they would break-up PG&E, or at a minimum cut executive and mid-level pay, eliminate bonuses, reduce extra benefits and perqs, and set residential price limits that meet other nearby state residential rates. California PUC is not representing the rate payers and you guys also need to be held accountable! 18% increase is the most obscene request I have seen in my years! Shame on the CPUC for even allowing PG&E to ask for it! How can we recall the CPUC and get some real representatives?

FYI on this general rate case application... there are upcoming public forums where ratepayers can ask questions and leave feedback.

Of course the CPUC may just file everything in their trash bin. But anyone who has an EV in PG&E's coverage area, but without solar should be interested. The cost to power those EVs is about to go up because the CPUC cannot be bothered to get PG&E to operate more efficiently.

You can see how PG&E is basically leaving out the point that by the end of the 4th year of their General Rate Increase, Natural gas is going up 45%. They obfuscate by simply saying costs are "only" going up 18% (in 2023).

Where and when will these Public Forums be held?​

In compliance with the Governor’s directive and the CPUC’s ongoing efforts to protect customers and community members, the hearings will be held via remote participation.
March 1, 10*, 22, 2022
2 p.m. and 6 p.m.
March 2022
Webcast: http://www.adminmonitor.com/ca/cpuc/
Phone number: 1-800-857-1917 (To make a comment, press *1)
PASSCODES:
English - 6032788#
Spanish - 3799627#
*The March 10 hearing is open to all customers; however, it will be structured to include a focus on feedback from San Joaquin Valley customers and communities.
The Public Forum can be viewed via internet, or listened to via phone, with the information above. If you wish to make a public comment, please participate by phone using the phone number above and pressing *1. Your participation by providing your thoughts on PG&E’s request can help the CPUC make an informed decision.
Written public comments may also be provided at any time during the proceeding in the "Public Comments" tab of the Docket Card for A.21-06-021, available at apps.cpuc.ca.gov/c/A2106021..
Please note: Spanish language interpreters will be available at each hearing for those who need them. If you need a different language interpreter, contact the CPUC’s Public Advisor’s Office using the contact information at the end of this notice at least five business days before the hearing.

Why am I receiving this notice?​

Every four years, PG&E is required to file a GRC application with the CPUC to propose rates that reflect the projected costs to safely provide service, maintain infrastructure, and make needed system improvements.

To address increasing energy challenges, PG&E is proposing to adopt innovations and new technologies, and to make targeted investments to provide for a safe, reliable, and clean energy future for the 16 million people the utility serves across Northern and Central California.

Investments are being proposed across the electric distribution system (including critical wildfire mitigation, reliability, and safety improvements), gas distribution, transmission, and storage systems (including reliability, safety, and seismic improvements), and power generation assets (including reliability and safety improvements at natural gas, hydroelectric, solar generation, and Diablo Canyon Power Plant facilities).

This application also addresses ongoing operational and workforce costs to ensure PG&E can continue providing safe and reliable service and exceptional customer care. These costs include maintaining a dedicated and trained workforce, insurance, and resources to support PG&E’s Customer Care, Shared Services, and Information Technology organizations. If approved by the CPUC, PG&E’s request would result in a revenue increase of approximately $3.56 billion for 2023 and additional increases of $930 million (2024), $590 million (2025), and $381 million (2026).

How could this affect my monthly bill?​

ELECTRIC RATES:
Based on rates currently in effect, the bill for a typical non-CARE bundled residential customer using 500 kilowatt-hours per month would increase from $138.86 to $164.05 or 18.1% if the GRC is approved as filed.

Direct Access (DA) and Community Choice Aggregation (CCA) customers only receive electric transmission and distribution services from PG&E, and distribution rate charges for these customers would increase by 21.5% if the application is approved as filed. DA providers and CCAs set their own rates, so customers are encouraged to check with your DA provider or CCA to see how this would impact your overall bill.

Departing Load customers do not receive electric generation, transmission, or distribution services from PG&E; however, these customers are still required to pay certain charges by law or CPUC decision. On average, these customers would see a rate increase of 7.6% if the application is approved as filed.

Actual impacts will vary depending on usage.
GAS RATES:

Based on rates currently in effect, the gas bill for a typical residential non-CARE customer averaging 33 therms per month of gas usage would increase from $59.92 to $70.73, or 18%. Actual impacts will vary depending on usage.

I'm noticing a sickening trend in terms of the news coverage of this rate case proposal. The public is now fixated on the +18% for electricity. +18% in the first year is just the tip of the ice berg.

PG&E actually wants the public to get fixated on this +18%... because this causes the public to lose line of sight that the general rate case is a 4 year approval that covers BOTH electricity and natural gas. In their GRC proposal, they front loaded the increase in the first year. They put an obvious stocker shock item to get people to see the +18% and get upset. They stop paying attention to years 2, 3, and 4.

In PG&E's GRC proposal, they want to increase electricity by 25% over the 4 year GRC; and natural gas by 45% over the same for years (% change compared to the 2022 expiring GRC year) This +25% and +45% only assumes a nominal increase to the actual cost of the commodity fuels and energy.

So, PG&E will have the public focused on the first year +18% for electricity increase ... and they'll eventually "give in" and knock that first year change down to 7%. The public will have think they came away with some great victory. This is playing straight into PG&E's hands.

If we aren't careful, PG&E will just shift the increases to be a 7% to 10% CAGR over the 4 years, and end up in 2026 at the same place as the terrible proposal that we all hate. And while people are complaining about their electricity, they aren't focusing on the natural gas. They'll succeed to hit people with sky high natural gas rates to heat their homes and cook meals... and the people will be oblivious because they are so focused on electricity rates.

I'm noticing a sickening trend in terms of the news coverage of this rate case proposal. The public is now fixated on the +18% for electricity. +18% in the first year is just the tip of the ice berg.

PG&E actually wants the public to get fixated on this +18%... because this causes the public to lose line of sight that the general rate case is a 4 year approval that covers BOTH electricity and natural gas. In their GRC proposal, they front loaded the increase in the first year. They put an obvious stocker shock item to get people to see the +18% and get upset. They stop paying attention to years 2, 3, and 4.

In PG&E's GRC proposal, they want to increase electricity by 25% over the 4 year GRC; and natural gas by 45% over the same for years (% change compared to the 2022 expiring GRC year) This +25% and +45% only assumes a nominal increase to the actual cost of the commodity fuels and energy.

So, PG&E will have the public focused on the first year +18% for electricity increase ... and they'll eventually "give in" and knock that first year change down to 7%. The public will have think they came away with some great victory. This is playing straight into PG&E's hands.

If we aren't careful, PG&E will just shift the increases to be a 7% to 10% CAGR over the 4 years, and end up in 2026 at the same place as the terrible proposal that we all hate. And while people are complaining about their electricity, they aren't focusing on the natural gas. They'll succeed to hit people with sky high natural gas rates to heat their homes and cook meals... and the people will be oblivious because they are so focused on electricity rates.
I love reading this stuff, and I just say, great job day to be 100% immune to any rate increase. But, I assume to my benefit since I send back at higher raters under NEM2?

I love reading this stuff, and I just say, great job day to be 100% immune to any rate increase. But, I assume to my benefit since I send back at higher raters under NEM2?

Well yeah, but you also don't have to rub it in at every opportunity. Some people don't have enough roof space to add as much solar as you or got as many free batteries as you.

Well yeah, but you also don't have to rub it in at every opportunity. Some people don't have enough roof space to add as much solar as you or got as many free batteries as you.
But, it is fun. You beat up PGE every opportunity. :) But most folks just skimp out on solar, which is fine, but instead drive nice cars, which I do not. So yes, do I feel lucky, heck yea!!! :) Most do not think outside the box, which I LOVE to do!

But, it is fun. You beat up PGE every opportunity. :) But most folks just skimp out on solar, which is fine, but instead drive nice cars, which I do not. So yes, do I feel lucky, heck yea!!! :) Most do not think outside the box, which I LOVE to do!

Yeah, I beat up on PG&E. But you beat up on normal forum users who don't have as much solar as you could fit on your big azz house on the lake.