Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phantom Braking - 2021 MY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
why does this happen? I have a 2010 Prius with lane keeping and radar cruise... never an issue. Also have a 2017 Prius Prime with no issues.

I just got a MY and haven't driven it enough to get a "phantom brake" event, but don't understand why it happens... this tech has literally been out for over a decade
I'm wondering the same thing....
I had 2 Honda's Civic 2016 and Accord 2018 and both had sensing suites and never had any phantom braking. Sometimes it would flash and sound to tell me to brake but never phantom brake by it's own for absolutely nothing, unless there was a car real close in front of me. With my MYP I experienced more phantom brakes in 1 month and a half of owning it compare to the last 5 years owing my 2 Honda's

• Helpful
Reactions: Corndart
I have 2020 with radar. My 2021 without is coming within the next 2 weeks. I have heard the vision cars have phantom braking as well in this forum.
I have a 2021 MY with no radar, and I get Phantom braking frequently.

It's to the point where my family groans whenever I enable cruise control or AP. My Toyota Prius and Honda Pilot hardly had any issues! It's crazy that Tesla still has this annoying problem.

I have a 2021 MY with no radar, and I get Phantom braking frequently.

It's to the point where my family groans whenever I enable cruise control or AP. My Toyota Prius and Honda Pilot hardly had any issues! It's crazy that Tesla still has this annoying problem.
I actually get a lot of phantom braking on my Acura MDX. More than on my Tesla currently, actually...

@PackMan730 I live in Claremont and have experienced it numerous times in the 1,700 miles I've driven so far. It seems most common when passing a larger vehicle (truck or RV) in the next lane to the right. I haven't noticed whether it's related to the cameras mistaking shadows for a vehicle, or something else.

And as others have shared, my wife has also put me on notice that I am not allowed to use AP when she or our dogs are in the car. (Apparently she's fine with me taking my own life into my hands, however.)

Reactions: ralfpeter
What I have been doing to avoid phantom braking on 2 lane bidirectional roads is to hug the right edge of the road when you know oncoming traffic might trigger braking. This seems to reduce the number of phantom braking events significantly. Staying as far away from the center line as you safely can seems to help. This only works with regular cruise control since Autopilot keeps the car in the center of the lane constantly which can trigger more phantom braking events.

I'm interested to see how this pans out as well. We just sold our 2021 Venza to Carvana, it never had a single instance of phantom braking while driving on adaptive cruise control and lane keep assist, rock solid. Wife's Tacoma on the other hand, is periodically frightened by the overhead freeway sign shadows. Who knows 🤷‍♂️

The two times I've taken a 2021 Model Y out for a test drive down on I-10 in El Paso TX, I purposely spent quite a bit on AP, and never had a single phantom brake. Hopefully they'll get it ironed out, as a lot of the driving I plan to do is on 2 lane highways.

I wonder if phantom braking is different across the same model? I only ask because I went on my first long distance trip (250+ miles) and didn't have any phantom braking in the four hours (2 each way) of travel. This was four lane highway (287 to 87 in NJ) to two lane split parkway (Taconic parkway in NY) with various types of traffic and lighting conditions (including driving 45 degree angle towards the sun). I have a 2022 MYLR. I was girding myself for some bad braking, but it never happened, I was pleasantly surprised. Anyway, I wonder if either the conditions were better than I thought or maybe our cameras are tuned differently? FWIW I'm still on 2021.35.102. Of course, my 250+ miles is a small sample size of driving...

I’m on FSD but had a ton of phantom braking today while driving NB 101 in LA. I think I narrowed it down to the car thinking something is about to enter the lane. Anytime a car even got close to the line? Brake checked. There was some trash in the road and it slammed the brakes too. Had another incident coming over the hill into Camarillo, I assume the car lost visibility of the road and freaked out.

Doesn’t seem to happen in areas where the lanes are a bit more comfortable and very rarely happens when there’s no traffic.

2021 Phantom Braking not a HUGE problem on the interstate multi lane highways. Autopilot is pretty useful there. But on rural Iowa backroads, two lane highways, especially at night, its all but useless, even cruise. I had to drive to KC a week ago, 240 miles... It was late at night, my wife was sleeping since she had to work in the am early, jolted awake at least 10 times by the alarm and hard brake at 65 mph. Gave up and drove that 60 mile stretch the old fashioned way :/

I know... first world problem, I understand autopilot not working on rural roads but not even a functional cruise? LOL Id really love to see cruise control detached from the vision system, or at least an option for it.

this is my only real negative about the car so far, after 16k in 6 months. It hasnt improved, and in some ways, has gotten worse.

Id really love to see cruise control detached from the vision system, or at least an option for it.
I couldn’t agree more. I was surprised to learn it wasn’t an option TBH, seems to me it could be added with a software update. I’m curious about what drove their decision to not do it.

It’s always been that way on our other cars. You can use cruise “the old fashioned way” without the added smarts of adaptive speed, lane trace, etc.

Given the consistency in stories of the radarless M3/MY Teslas, it does seem to be another black eye for Tesla in rushing too many vehicles into production that simply don't have the hardware complement to operate safely. "Tesla Vision" sounds like a feature, but pull back the covers and it really appears to be a side effect of supply chain shortages and increased cost for radar.

This was a very dumb marketing move on Tesla's part, IMO.

Reactions: ralfpeter
I wonder if phantom braking is different across the same model? I only ask because I went on my first long distance trip (250+ miles) and didn't have any phantom braking in the four hours (2 each way) of travel. This was four lane highway (287 to 87 in NJ) to two lane split parkway (Taconic parkway in NY) with various types of traffic and lighting conditions (including driving 45 degree angle towards the sun). I have a 2022 MYLR. I was girding myself for some bad braking, but it never happened, I was pleasantly surprised. Anyway, I wonder if either the conditions were better than I thought or maybe our cameras are tuned differently? FWIW I'm still on 2021.35.102. Of course, my 250+ miles is a small sample size of driving...
It's odd that people have dramatically different experiences with phantom braking. My Y is an 06/2020 AWD with FSD (on 36.5.1 right now). PB seems to be, in part, location associated for me. On my way to work there is a straight, clear section of interstate, 3 lanes each way, no overpasses, no odd paint on the road, no construction, but if I overtake a vehicle in the adjacent lane at this location I ALWAYS get PB, 15-20 mph deceleration. On my way home I get PB about 50% of the time in one specific location, a location where my car does everything it can to move over into the right lane, traffic heavy, light, nonexistent, it wants to be in the right lane at that specific location. Once past that location the car moves back into the middle lane which is its favorite position.

It's odd that people have dramatically different experiences with phantom braking. My Y is an 06/2020 AWD with FSD (on 36.5.1 right now). PB seems to be, in part, location associated for me. On my way to work there is a straight, clear section of interstate, 3 lanes each way, no overpasses, no odd paint on the road, no construction, but if I overtake a vehicle in the adjacent lane at this location I ALWAYS get PB, 15-20 mph deceleration. On my way home I get PB about 50% of the time in one specific location, a location where my car does everything it can to move over into the right lane, traffic heavy, light, nonexistent, it wants to be in the right lane at that specific location. Once past that location the car moves back into the middle lane which is its favorite position.
Interesting. PB is an artifact of TACC, so the issue could be that FSD is putting the car into situations in which PB activates. Try driving the car with AP/FSD off, using only TACC - do you see the same PB events? Next turn on AP but leave “Navigate“ off (ie. FSD off) and see what happens.

Reactions: laservet