Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phantom Braking - 2021 MY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was driving on I49 last night maintaining a speed of 75mph. Car was on Autopilot. Car abruptly slowed down to 50 mph. It was around 1 AM. Road was clear. No rain, no bugs, no cars ahead of me. It was scary. If this phantom braking would have occurred during the day on heavy traffic I would have been rear ended. Not sure if we can fully trust autopilot or FSD. In the past it slowed down ~10 mph. Last night it was down to 50 mph from 75 mph. This is a real safety hazard.

Reactions: Stach
it's an ongoing problem with Tesla. Do what I and others do; keep you foot near the accelerator pedal and be prepared to give it some "gas" when phantom braking happen, Then send a bug report. Been doing this for over 3 years now. I also never take my hands off the wheel when on auto pilot, especially while going over railroad tracks, since the car has a tendency to follow the tracks instead of the road.

it's an ongoing problem with Tesla. Do what I and others do; keep you foot near the accelerator pedal and be prepared to give it some "gas" when phantom braking happen, Then send a bug report. Been doing this for over 3 years now. I also never take my hands off the wheel when on auto pilot, especially while going over railroad tracks, since the car has a tendency to follow the tracks instead of the road.
How do we send the bug report when the event triggers ? I am facing another problem and i am not sure if its related. Wipers turn on even though there is not rain while in Autopilot. I am suspecting its bugs which triggers this.

How do we send the bug report when the event triggers ? I am facing another problem and i am not sure if its related. Wipers turn on even though there is not rain while in Autopilot. I am suspecting its bugs which triggers this.
press the right button on the steering wheeel, then say bug report, immediately followed by an explanation of whatever is going wrong at that moment

Reactions: kKumar
press the right button on the steering wheeel, then say bug report, immediately followed by an explanation of whatever is going wrong at that moment
Thanks for the tip, I didn't know about the bug reporting feature. I'll do that next time if it happens again.

I too had the phantom braking happen to me today. Good thing I had my foot near the pedal and wasn't going nearly as fast, about 115km and it started to slow down (no cars in front of me but cars nearby in the next lane). I took control right away and brought the speed back up since I was on the left lane and then decided to move it over to the center lanes and didn't go back to AP for a bit. MY built in Jan 2021.
It was a really _weird_ feeling wondering what is going on with the AP that you start to doubt its reliability. I'm sure it just detected something and took a more conservative approach but what did it detect to cause the reduction in speed?

why does this happen? I have a 2010 Prius with lane keeping and radar cruise... never an issue. Also have a 2017 Prius Prime with no issues.

I just got a MY and haven't driven it enough to get a "phantom brake" event, but don't understand why it happens... this tech has literally been out for over a decade

why does this happen? I have a 2010 Prius with lane keeping and radar cruise... never an issue. Also have a 2017 Prius Prime with no issues.

I just got a MY and haven't driven it enough to get a "phantom brake" event, but don't understand why it happens... this tech has literally been out for over a decade
The difference... cameras. What can see shadows, Cameras or radars? (Rhetorical question)

Thanks for the tip, I didn't know about the bug reporting feature.
I believe bug reports are logged to your vehicle and are never seen by Tesla unless you tell service center about them, in that case they can bring them up to help diagnose issues.

Reactions: Battpower
I believe bug reports are logged to your vehicle and are never seen by Tesla unless you tell service center about them, in that case they can bring them up to help diagnose issues.

Really?
I'd be disappointed if true and will stop filing bug reports every time I get a phantom braking event, which is pretty much every time I drive my car and try to use cruise control on my neighborhood streets. My commute involves ~2 miles @25mph with slight hills and valleys. I'd like to use cruise control to maintain a constant speed but its useless and dangerous and very annoying to passengers ("Why are you braking? Was that the car again?" my wife always asks) due to the phantom breaking issue.

So far I've been pleased... I took our Model Y down the same street towards my daughter's school, where both my Infiniti and Acura will phantom brake if I'm in the right lane in that section of road. (There is a lightpole right at the apex of a curve, that freaks out both my Infiniti and my Acura)... But my MY happily drove that section of road, both with and without autopilot. My acura will only freak out with lane keep assist activated, my Infiniti will freak out regardless if I have ProPilot engaged or not, as one time it even pre-tensioned the seat belts, so it's radar probably thought I was going to hit the light pole.

• Informative
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
…stop filing bug reports every time I get a phantom braking event

Yeah, Telsa doesn’t care about your phantom breaking unless you are running the latest FSD beta (not many people are). They completely re-wrote the software; your car is currently running obsolete software.

every time I drive my car and try to use cruise control on my neighborhood streets.

Pretty sure cruise control (TACC) is meant for the highways, not your neighborhood streets

Really?
I'd be disappointed if true
Be disappointed!

At best might help service see something if the look at the logs, but nothing proactive.

They completely re-wrote the software; your car is currently running obsolete software.

That's what I understood / assumed at first, but now it looks more like city streets is separate from freeway fsd and city fsd runs same / similar code to general release when not on city streets. If that's the case, then current release fsd could be running up do date code for the routes it is intended to be used on.

Yeah, Telsa doesn’t care about your phantom breaking unless you are running the latest FSD beta (not many people are). They completely re-wrote the software; your car is currently running obsolete software.

Pretty sure cruise control (TACC) is meant for the highways, not your neighborhood streets
House9
So, no way to have any cruise control functionality unless I'm on the highway?

House9
So, no way to have any cruise control functionality unless I'm on the highway?
FSD should do it but it would be doing almost all of the driving; I think 'Auto Steer' (aka Auto Pilot) might do what you want but it would be keeping the lane, you would need to brake unless cars are in front of you.

I would read the manual, here are a couple of excerpts

Auto Steer
1626235460551.png

TACC

1626235485689.png