Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phantom Braking Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You don’t have a Tesla so how do you know phantom breaking is a real issue?

Have you looked at any videos? If you would please share with the class! I think phantom breaking is mostly a phantom issue. It happens some of the time when people use autosteer on small roads (eg not interstates) but that’s it.

Other manufacturers don’t offer lane keeping off the interstate anyway....
Au contraire. I only used EAP on interstate highways, adn while supposedly phantom braking has gotten better, it still happens. On a 390 mile trip from SoCal to the Bay Area, perhaps 2-3 times per trip.

Reactions: Stan930
There are many phantom braking threads on TMC. It's a common topic with scant evidence. One thread had people saying they were having phantom braking when passing trucks. Then it was from the shadow of the truck.

I pulled out my phone (Hint: Required to drive) and took some pictures, but never captured a single phantom braking event. There was no point in pull the video from the dashcam.

MY_not_phantom_braking.jpg
MY_not_phantom_braking_shadow.jpg

I pulled out my phone (Hint: Required to drive) and took some pictures, but never captured a single phantom braking event.

That's like saying you rode your motorcycle home tonight and didn't get hurt so motorcycles are safe and everyone hurt on one is a liar.
Is anyone claiming that it happens so often that you could reliably capture it on any single drive with a handheld cell phone?
Once in 250 miles is still too often and that's once every 7 or so hours.

There are many phantom braking threads on TMC. It's a common topic with scant evidence. One thread had people saying they were having phantom braking when passing trucks. Then it was from the shadow of the truck.

I pulled out my phone (Hint: Required to drive) and took some pictures, but never captured a single phantom braking event. There was no point in pull the video from the dashcam.

View attachment 682772View attachment 682773

Even at its worst it would never phantom brake with the situations you're showing. It needs to be a long/tall semi-trailer, and it has to be way closer to the line to the left. Basically it has to create a shadow over the line.

The car has to think the truck is going to come over as the braking is basically like a nervous amateur driver.

I haven't had much issue in the last 6+ months so it seems to be less of a problem these days.

The biggest issue I've had recently is phantom braking related to maps. The nice thing about these is they're easy to reproduce as they always happen at the same spot.

So reading through this and lots of posts/videos, youtube and fb (yep mid-50's boomer) re. phantom braking - it's becoming worrisome. We're waiting on our MYLR (for 2 months now) that I purchased mainly for my wife. She and I both do a lot of driving -- one particular 5 hour trip to our condo that we take 2-3 x's a month. I thought the MY would make the trip more enjoyable for us (she goes more often than I)...I even got the FSD for auto lane change and as a speculative (and probably not smart) investment. Now, the more I read about "PB" --some never experience it, some all the time, and there are way too many people posting about it every day for it to be fud. My wife will NOT like some of the situations I've seen described...although some of them seem like a bit of hyperbole. A couple of questions for the group if you don't mind...
- would you still purchase the car...even with the problems you've experienced?
- is it possible that those that don't experience the phantom braking have the car set up differently (maybe in AEB settings) than those that constantly do?

it never once lowered the speed limit 15mph because of some phantom danger

I rented a terrible Toyota for a business trip recently, and while the default partial lane assist feature pissed me off, the TACC worked absolutely flawlessly. Not a single instance of phantom braking all week.

If you had the FSD package

"If you just spend the $10k on the features that don't exist, Tesla would give you the same features other cars are getting by default now" isn't the best argument I've seen for FSD.

I think phantom breaking is mostly a phantom issue.

I think you couldn't be more wrong if you tried. I can produce phantom braking events at will where I am. The same areas they've existed since the Model 3 got AP enabled.

Your car suddenly decelerates from no user input and no observable external factor, and you are not stimulated? There is a self- driving bus in Vegas that needs a follow car to prevent people from rear ending it in traffic when it suddenly brakes for no apparent reason - same principle on a crowded highway where people routinely follow too closely.
Let's clarify a few things. First, let's define a few things. "Phantom braking", as it is used on this forum, appears to refer to braking without an apparent cause. In nearly every case of undesired (not phantom) braking, the cause was apparent, such as a car approaching rapidly on an onramp, often out of sight of the driver but within sight of the car. This is not phantom braking; it is working as designed. Perhaps it is not designed properly, but it is working as designed.

Most every description I have read in this forum appears to have a similar explanation.

I have yet to experience unexplained, "phantom braking." I use AP on all roads on which I can possibly engage it. While I only have around 16k on my Y, using AP nearly all the time, I had close to 200k on my 70D with AP1. And yes, there was undesired/unexpected braking on that too.

I am always ready to react to the degree dictated by the traffic/driving situation. If I'm near an entrance/exit ramp, I am in a highly ready state, especially with traffic around. If I'm in the middle of nowhere with no traffic on a wide open highway, I am less primed to react.

With all that being said, when I have experienced undesired braking, I have NEVER lost more that 3-4 mph before reacting. That is not enough to cause an accident.

So I stand by my original statement. If you are creating a dangerous situation (e.g., making your wife scream), you are not paying attention.

I know it exists. It’s just that it is an extremely rare occurrence, especially on the interstate. Not a huge issue that makes TACC unusable, which was the claim.
Litterally happens to me every day in the same spot on my drive home. On a divided highway...)

Has done it now for 2 of the last 3 years of owning my Model 3.

Litterally happens to me every day in the same spot on my drive home. On a divided highway...)

Has done it now for 2 of the last 3 years of owning my Model 3.

Most likely a mapping issue. There could be a segment where the road, for a short segment, appears as undivided, causing the car to slow to speed limit + 5 at this point. There is at least one location where this happens to me.

No one has produced any video evidence of phantom breaking being a huge issue that would prevent someone from buying a car, something that should be relatively easy to show, but I’m the troll for asking for it... 👍

Here's one (of several) of my personal experiences, with dashcam video and TeslaMate statistics, to prove that it does exist and how scary phantom braking can be on a freeway (for no apparent reason whatsoever). Bad ones, where it regens or brakes Hard, scare the crap out of you, while other minor ones are easier to basically ignore. When a big phantom braking event happens, you will be swearing at the car, without even thinking twice...