Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phantom braking so bad I want to return my car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 1968 Cadillac had cruise control. Worked much better than my Model 3.
Until you didn’t brake! But yeah - my sister had a 2011 prius with adaptive cruise that worked better than my Tesla.

A lot of people say they wish they had ’dumb’ cruise back on their Tesla. I was in that camp until I had to drive our Odyssey with dumb cruise on a 150 mile trip. As annoying as phantom braking was for me, it was better than no braking. I had to keep my foot near the accelerator to counteract all the PB events but on balance I still found that preferable to dumb cruise. It depends how much TACC is acting up on you and what your personal preference is, though.

Reactions: DrGriz
Until you didn’t brake! But yeah - my sister had a 2011 prius with adaptive cruise that worked better than my Tesla.

A lot of people say they wish they had ’dumb’ cruise back on their Tesla. I was in that camp until I had to drive our Odyssey with dumb cruise on a 150 mile trip. As annoying as phantom braking was for me, it was better than no braking. I had to keep my foot near the accelerator to counteract all the PB events but on balance I still found that preferable to dumb cruise. It depends how much TACC is acting up on you and what your personal preference is, though.

I was in a rental recently, and thought the TACC was getting dangerously close to the vehicles in front of me. After about an hour of highway driving, I realized it was just dumb CC lol

I’ve had the same problem - I only rarely drive our Odyssey and catch myself waiting for it to do stuff my Tesla does automatically. 🤦‍♂️
I know, right? My wife's 2019 4Runner has stupid cruise control. And more than that, that car is so lazy it won't even get up off of its fat ass to come pick me up. I have to walk over, open the door, get in, adjust the seat, and insert a key. To make matters worse, I have to use a "steering wheel", a "gas pedal", and to add insult to injury a thing called a "brake pedal". What in the Algerian farmer's mother is up with that?

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: sleepydoc
I just made a 403 mile road trip on 2022.28.2. Car was flawless on Autopilot for the 342 miles it was engaged. It scooted over when car in the adjacent lane drifted over the line. Reacted quickly when all 3 lanes on I-75 slammed on brakes. All I can say is, Autopilot made my trip much easier.

Just made the return trip home todsy on portions of Florida Turnpike (50 miles), I-75 (25 miles), Hwys 19/98/27 (150 miles), I-10 (135 miles), Hwys 331/98 (the rest). Engaged Navigate on Autopilot on Interstates and Autosteer/TACC on regular 4 lane divided highways. On for 373 out of 402 total miles (about 93% of the trip).

Honestly, the car performed flawlessly today. I needed the help. I'm a bit worn out from back-to-back road trips and all-day meetings.

Just made the return trip home todsy on portions of Florida Turnpike (50 miles), I-75 (25 miles), Hwys 19/98/27 (150 miles), I-10 (135 miles), Hwys 331/98 (the rest). Engaged Navigate on Autopilot on Interstates and Autosteer/TACC on regular 4 lane divided highways. On for 373 out of 402 total miles (about 93% of the trip).

Honestly, the car performed flawlessly today. I needed the help. I'm a bit worn out from back-to-back road trips and all-day meetings.
Time to buy that lottery ticket! Seriously, we all wish it worked so well for us 😎. I’m guessing the busier areas back East without the wide open stretches have better experiences. Acts touchy as hell out West….

Reactions: CaseyL
No phantom braking to write home about for me here in Montana, with excursions to Wyoming, Washington, Idaho, Colorado, and the Dakotas.
Yeah just a theory, too few here to figure out but Tesla should have plenty of data to work with - no problem for some but terrible for others, definitely needs a good fix. Was thinking maybe mirages on the long open roads or something but maybe it’s primarily ones with radar now disabled, who knows? 😵‍💫

Last edited:
Yeah just a theory, too few here to figure out but Tesla should have plenty of data to work with - no problem for some but terrible for others, definitely needs a good fix. Was thinking maybe mirages on the long open roads or something but maybe it’s primarily ones with radar now disabled, who knows? 😵‍💫
People define "phantom braking" differently. It could simply be a particular road where the speed limit database or the curve speed database is wrong, in which case the car would consistently brake or slow down in the given area. Sometimes it's camera calibration (I know in old system sometimes this was issue), but not sure if it still applies to Vision given they don't sync the radar with camera any longer.

Reactions: HSATD
People define "phantom braking" differently. It could simply be a particular road where the speed limit database or the curve speed database is wrong, in which case the car would consistently brake or slow down in the given area. Sometimes it's camera calibration (I know in old system sometimes this was issue), but not sure if it still applies to Vision given they don't sync the radar with camera any longer.
True but that’s not what I experienced - many times, many places over almost 5K miles. I suppose a camera issue is possible but Tesla found no faults/hardware issues.

Reactions: MdlYYY
Road trip Dallas - Grand Canyon - Zion National Park and back. 2700 miles.
Phantom breaking was pretty often on the two-way highways when the 18-wheeler is approaching and when the road has not flat terrain. Very annoing.
But the most disappointing was the activation of the emergency braking out of a sudden and the car was not just slowing down... it was slamming the brakes with loud warning sounds in the cabin. Pretty crazy. After the two occurrences if this, I have disabled the emergency breaking in autopilot settings.
I don't know how do they planning to roll out FSD if the car can't drive normally on just a clear straight highway with all marks. Pretty insane.

Reactions: MdlYYY
No phantom braking to write home about for me here in Montana, with excursions to Wyoming, Washington, Idaho, Colorado, and the Dakotas.
Yup. Still nothing I have not experienced in other cars after owning Tesla for 10 months & nearly daily autopilot usage around Los Angeles and on drives from souther California to Sacramento & San Francisco Bay Area. 🤷‍♂️ Just two cases of slowing that stand out but wasn’t extreme. I wonder how the investigation by NHTSA is coming along.