Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phantom Braking while using Autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Frequent auto pilot user here. Happens all the time. I have gotten used to it by punching the go pedal. I do bug reports in all instances. I just got 36.2 and just like all other updates I wish it gets fixed. They have all been under bridges with exception of the last one about a week ago. One time my wife was in the car she freaked out and we got into a fight. She thought I was doing it on purpose!!
She says I need to go to driving school:(
I feel for you! - But no bridge. However, as you see below overpasses, light, etc. all seem to play into some events and it helps to make us aware that this is still something you have to be careful with. Where does one report bugs?

Were you passing under a bridge that cast a shadow on the road in front of you? In most cases that’s what causes these sudden braking events.
I have this happen occasionally with EAP in my X and it does seem to be related to overpass shadows on the highway. Haven’t put in many EAP miles with my 3 yet but based on comments in this thread I can see the 3 has the same issue.

When this happens the car decelerates maybe by 5mph and I immediately press the accelerator to speed back up. I’ve never felt like I was going to be rear ended but I suppose if someone was really tailgating me at the time it could happen. I try to drive so as to avoid tailgaters; if someone is doing that I change lanes to the right if possible, or slow down enough so they soon get annoyed and pass me on the left (or sometimes the right if they are really reckless).

Was it with EAP, TACC, or Manual driving?
If you are asking the OP, his post says he was “on autopilot”.

I’ve had several close calls similar to what you’re describing... Random braking events on clear stretches of freeway.
Another difficult situation I’ve had is when driving directly into blinding low altitude evening sun... my commute is due west in the evening. The car has a hard time reading the lanes and surrounding traffic. EAP has abruptly swerved into adjacent lanes and nearly hit other cars had I not regained control immediately.
These are not one time events either. I’ve found the system works well in MOST situations, but it’s certainly not fully baked and can be down right dangerous if used improperly.
It’s EAP, not FSD... not that it makes a faulty system any better, but you do need to be ready to take back manual control at any moment.
Thank God, I had both hands on the wheel when it happened!

If you are asking the OP, his post says he was “on autopilot”.

Yeah, I missed it for some reason. I really should have asked generically speaking because I'm wondering how much of these incidents are TACC or are AP.

I would expect TACC to be mostly driven by Radar as the camera isn't needed aside from helping the radar direction wise (during turns the radar isn't always going to know where the car in front is exactly).

With AP I expect it to happen more often as with AP there is a higher likelihood the driver might not be paying attention.

From user stories it seems like it happens with TACC as much as it does with AP. But, I haven't heard enough user stories to come to any conclusion.

I want to report a sudden braking on my new Model 3 while driving on Highway 80 north this afternoon. Driving approximately 73 mph on autopilot in the middle lane. Moderate traffic at about 1:15 pm. Two other passengers in car. Cars behind. Nearest about 4 car lengths back. Suddenly, the car very, very sharply brakes. Cars behind must also brake hard. Take control. Move to side lane. Slow. Resumed manual driving. Could have caused a very bad accident. Passengers freaked! Need to have software checked. Can't be trusted until diagnosed! Where do I report this?
I want to report a sudden braking on my new Model 3 while driving on Highway 80 north this afternoon. Driving approximately 73 mph on autopilot in the middle lane. Moderate traffic at about 1:15 pm. Two other passengers in car. Cars behind. Nearest about 4 car lengths back. Suddenly, the car very, very sharply brakes. Cars behind must also brake hard. Take control. Move to side lane. Slow. Resumed manual driving. Could have caused a very bad accident. Passengers freaked! Need to have software checked. Can't be trusted until diagnosed! Where do I report this?

Call.Tesla. Now! Tell. Them. Problem. Be. Brief. This. will.help!

Join the club. This happened to me last week my 2nd day of ownership. Glad had my seatbelt on and no one was directly behind me.

So, it was a random chance that you had your seatbelt on? I'm only asking because I can't recall one time in the last 10 to 15 years that I drove without mine - so being lucky that I had on my seatbelt wouldn't be something I would think. It would be a given.

So, it was a random chance that you had your seatbelt on? I'm only asking because I can't recall one time in the last 10 to 15 years that I drove without mine - so being lucky that I had on my seatbelt wouldn't be something I would think. It would be a given.
Whaaat? I was being facetious. Imagine if I didn’t have my seatbelt on. And when did we get the seatbelt police on this forum? Are you frikking kidding me.

I think in general this is currently expected behavior and is covered in the manual:

Warning: Traffic-Aware Cruise Control may occasionally cause Model 3 to brake when not required or when you are not expecting it. This can be caused by closely following a vehicle ahead, detecting vehicles or objects in adjacent lanes (especially on curves), etc.

This hasn't happened to me on my Autopilot 1.0 Model X, but I've had a handful of times in my first 1500 miles in my 3. Every time it was when about to pass under an overpass or overhead interstate signage, and at least a few times just before a descent.

My hypothesis is that this is less about shadows and more about radar picking up on something that it initially thinks could be a truck or other obstacle across the road. In Joshua Brown's tragic death, the car didn't stop because it likely misinterpreted the sideways truck - with space underneath it - as an overhead sign or overpass. Tesla has since tweaked their algorithms, but the cost is occasional false positives. I thought I read somewhere that as they get feedback on false positives they are added to a whitelist to avoid triggering in future.

I think in general this is currently expected behavior and is covered in the manual:

that's just to cover the fact that the system isn't fully baked and to make sure people maintain control at all times.

I had another close call this morning... was in the left lane and was tracking within the lane... left turn lane split from the original lane and my car continued going straight till at some point it jerked to the left attempting to merge nearly cutting off someone coming up on my 8 ... grabbed the wheel in time to avoid any serious issues, but i'm starting to wonder how useful EAP really is. what's better... driving in manual and paying attention the old school way, or driving in EAP and needing to pay attention AND police the car from taking unintended action. I spend lots of time in EAP, but i think it's mostly for the novelty factor and trying not to burn through my charge with a heavy foot.

I had one, not as abrupt, but going about 70mph on a highway about 8 car lengths ahead of me, a car was basically driving on the line. The car "saw" this and braked -- way more than I would have done, which would have been not at all -- but I saw it as a good thing. Something a super-conservative and paranoid driver might do. My wife took it as another reason to never use EAP again.