Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phantom Braking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Diverse driving conditions
If you are saying that it is the road/environment, etc. that causes one person to have frequent PB events, and another to never have them, I would say, "perhaps." But then we ought to have people drive the same routes and see if that is reproduced by different cars. But I haven't run across anyone saying that their friend has the same experience in the same spot.

🤷‍♂️

If you are saying that it is the road/environment, etc. that causes one person to have frequent PB events, and another to never have them, I would say, "perhaps." But then we ought to have people drive the same routes and see if that is reproduced by different cars. But I haven't run across anyone saying that their friend has the same experience in the same spot.

🤷‍♂️
But is the same driver+car able to replicate the PB on that spot any time of the day?

🤷‍♂️
There are many on this forum that have pointed out that road mirages at a distance cause phantom braking. If you live in a place that doesn't frequently have them, or has conditions that obstruct views at that distance, or is too congested to have open highway between you and that distance, then you will never have the mirage induced PB problems.

If you on the other hand, live in a place that satisfies all those conditions, you will have them over and over and over again literally every time you get on the highway.

A Y owner approached me at a supercharger in eastern Nevada and asked if I was getting all kinds of PB and I started laughing and said welcome to Nevada. Turns out he was from Chicago and basically never had them there. He had no idea what was going on and literally said he thought maybe his TACC computer got fried by a solar flare or something.

Reactions: JB47394
But is the same driver+car able to replicate the PB on that spot any time of the day?
Yes, I've seen repeatable scenarios on my Y. The person who now owns it still has issues in a place I first discovered with the car. Doesn't affect my S though in the same area but the last time I was there, the radar was still enabled by Tesla so it wasn't purely TV like my Y always was.

• Informative
Reactions: DrGriz
There are many on this forum that have pointed out that road mirages at a distance cause phantom braking. If you live in a place that doesn't frequently have them, or has conditions that obstruct views at that distance, or is too congested to have open highway between you and that distance, then you will never have the mirage induced PB problems.

If you on the other hand, live in a place that satisfies all those conditions, you will have them over and over and over again literally every time you get on the highway.

A Y owner approached me at a supercharger in eastern Nevada and asked if I was getting all kinds of PB and I started laughing and said welcome to Nevada. Turns out he was from Chicago and basically never had them there. He had no idea what was going on and literally said he thought maybe his TACC computer got fried by a solar flare or something.
You know that Idaho and Nevada are 1 mm apart, right? ;) I'll be coming across Nevada later this week! We'll see what we experience!

Last edited:
You know that Idaho and Nevada are 1 mm apart, right? ;) I'll be coming across Nevada later this week! We'll see what we experience!
I don't know where you live. Coeur d'Alene is more like Canada than Nevada.

If it is sunny and you drive through the state on 80 or 95 you will get PBs, guaranteed. If you don't, take your car to a service center so they can figure out why yours doesn't and everyone elses does.

• Funny
Reactions: SalisburySam
I don't know where you live. Coeur d'Alene is more like Canada than Nevada.

If it is sunny and you drive through the state on 80 or 95 you will get PBs, guaranteed. If you don't, take your car to a service center so they can figure out why yours doesn't and everyone elses does.
I'll be on both. It will be interesting. I might and that would be useful information. I am not saying at all that you don't experience PB. Of course you do. But I haven't for a year (although I absolutely did before that!) and I know people who say that they never have, driving the same roads I had PB on a year ago.

I was just remarking on the variable experiences.

I have seen (past) where people could predict it for their car on a daily basis. Don't know of any cases when two different vehicles could reliably reproduce the same PB in the same spots. I would be interested to know if someone has seen that.
Even the same driver and vehicle but different times of the day (traffic pattern, lighting) would be a good study.

I'll be on both. It will be interesting. I might and that would be useful information. I am not saying at all that you don't experience PB. Of course you do. But I haven't for a year (although I absolutely did before that!) and I know people who say that they never have, driving the same roads I had PB on a year ago.

I was just remarking on the variable experiences.
Here's a video of it. It would do this probably a hundred times a day if I let it. Have had two service appointments for it, they say all the physical hardware is fine and that hopefully it will get fixed someday by improvements in TACC/AP and to just not use the cruise control. Not use the cruise control on the highway i.e. the one place I want to use it. In my brand new 60,000 dollar car.

Here's a video of it. It would do this probably a hundred times a day if I let it. Have had two service appointments for it, they say all the physical hardware is fine and that hopefully it will get fixed someday by improvements in TACC/AP and to just not use the cruise control. Not use the cruise control on the highway i.e. the one place I want to use it. In my brand new 60,000 dollar car.

Thanks for sharing that. It did not look like a slam on the brakes stop, which is what some PB has been. More like a take the foot off the accelerator. But maybe that's just my interpretation and not what it felt like.

I texted with a friend and neighbor about this, since she regularly drives that route in her Model Y. She and her husband have experienced some PB (she didn't quantify it) as well. Says it only happens with TACC turned on.

Thanks for sharing that. It did not look like a slam on the brakes stop, which is what some PB has been. More like a take the foot off the accelerator. But maybe that's just my interpretation and not what it felt like.

I texted with a friend and neighbor about this, since she regularly drives that route in her Model Y. She and her husband have experienced some PB (she didn't quantify it) as well. Says it only happens with TACC turned on.
It's considerably harder than just full regen.

Uh, yeah, it only happens when TACC is on, it isn't AEB.

It's considerably harder than just full regen.

Uh, yeah, it only happens when TACC is on, it isn't AEB.
Have you tried chill mode to see if it softens the effect? I have switched to that for most of my driving. I believe it reduces the energy of regen braking and probably saves me some range as well. I have the new left button switch set for regular acceleration, if I need it to pass.

Have you tried chill mode to see if it softens the effect? I have switched to that for most of my driving. I believe it reduces the energy of regen braking
No I haven't but I don't think this is true so shouldn't make a difference. Shouldn't make a difference even if it were true, if the car thinks it needs to slow down because an object is stopped in its path it shouldn't decelerate less just because of what mode you're in though of course it could just be a flaw in its programming I guess so I'll try it but really doubt it'll matter.

Is Tesla devoting significant resources to fix this problem? If not, why not. If so, with millions of miles of experience in their neuro net or whatever you call it, why isn't this fixed!
The "fix" is called FSD beta, in the sense that they have devoted almost all their resources to building a much more sophisticated NN stack, which (in theory) should help mitigate (genuine) PB events. I've never expierenced many PB events (maybe 5 total in 48K miles of driving) but at least one of those HAS been with the v11 FSD stack on the highway.

PB will never get totally "fixed", since it is inherent in any automatic safety system that there will always be some percentage of false positives.

No I haven't but I don't think this is true so shouldn't make a difference. Shouldn't make a difference even if it were true, if the car thinks it needs to slow down because an object is stopped in its path it shouldn't decelerate less just because of what mode you're in though of course it could just be a flaw in its programming I guess so I'll try it but really doubt it'll matter.
Set driving mode to "Chill" *and* set following distance to max on AP. That seems to help somewhat. But straight drives on non-divided highways without cars to follow make it nervous. If you can find a car to follow that helps significantly.

Also reformat your USB drive for the camera. Reports it can help.

The "fix" is called FSD beta, in the sense that they have devoted almost all their resources to building a much more sophisticated NN stack, which (in theory) should help mitigate (genuine) PB events.
I have been assuming that this is a perception issue and that HW4 should be the solution. With the higher resolution forward camera, the car should have enough pixels to reliably identify objects at the distances required. Heat mirages will be accurately identified as such, and the car will be able to confidently ignore them.

Reactions: CyberGus

Interesting share. You can actually see on the screen the camera wrongfully sees something in the path which clearly isn’t there. A good catch. Would strongly suggest showing this to the SA as you actually captured live proof that it is seeing something not there. Who knows might just be a faulty front camera.

• Helpful
Reactions: Larry Hutchinson