Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phantom Breaking on recent road trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just finished a 2800 mile trip and had several incidents. Going 80 on I15 in Utah, straight highway no cars around and quickly slowed to 40 or so before I could hit the accelerator. Very similar to what others are reporting, 2022.28.1 also. Wish they hadn’t updated just before our trip 🤬. Oh and moving to the left lane when no one close to pass repeatedly.

I just returned from a 3000 mile trip and experienced a half dozen braking episodes; none which I found any problem in correcting. They weren't like brakes were being applied but more like it is when taking my foot off the accelerator. Nearly all of them occurred in areas with questionable road markings due to construction and/or coming onto a hill crest. I used Navigate on Autopilot for much of the trip with lane changes requiring confirmation. I was quite pleased with NoAP.

I took my 2 week old MYP for its first road-trip, I had this happen 3 times all on a 2-3 lane highway going 70-80 MPH, this is extremely concerning. I’ve never had any other car do this. If someone was behind I definitely would’ve been hit.

Pretty concerning to see other drivers experience this. Hopefully Tesla can resolve soon. I use AP almost every time I drive and I haven’t had an issue yet with PB. The only slowdowns I’ve experienced is when the TACC reduces speed on certain highway merges/exits.

Went on a 1000 mile trip over the weekend from NC to MS. Phantom braking at least 4 times on the trip with a number of other slowdowns that were not so bad. Once seemed to be cause by the overpass shadow on the road, possibly combined with a the crest of the hill. Another was due to patched pavement. For the others, I could not tell what caused it, all on major highways.

My 2018 M3 LR is on FSD 2022.20.17. Whether using TACC or NoAP, the PB issues on freeways have pretty much disappeared, for some time now (1-2 years). But the PB events on highways other than Interstates are now frequent, seemingly random, and often on very "easy" sections of road - straight, two-lane, well marked, nearly no traffic, often undulating. Very annoying. All PBs are experienced as if stepping off the gas pedal on regen breaking, more or less. PBs are so often that TACC or NoAP/FSD become useless 9ff the interstate.

Reactions: Pianewman
My wife and I have largely stopped using AP on the highway. (MY 2022) It often brakes (hard) when approaching a car that is stopped on the side of the road. It brakes when in a curve and there's a car or semi in the other lane but "in front" of the car in a straight line. And it occasionally brakes for no apparent reason at all. It was worse back before Tesla "fixed" PB, but it seems to have reappeared more recently.

Curious if those with FSD experience the same kind of thing. Is AP just a slice of FSD or is it a completely different thing?

On a recent 700 miles trip (one way), towing a trailer, with TACC activated, I counted over 40 instances of phantom braking on the outbound trip, and approximately 20 on the return trip. This is much, much worse than similar trips I have taken with the same car and trailer. All I can think of is that my car doesn't use radar now.
Most of the incidents seem to be associated with approaching bridges with guardrails, but many occurred on straight, wide open stretches of Interstate highway, with wide shoulders, well-marked lanes, and little traffic (none in front of me). I usually tow at 65 mph.
All occurred during good lighting conditions, with few or no shadows.
I'm at a loss what the car is braking for.
I have to say, phantom braking while towing has added excitement over the same while not towing. Since braking is usually regen-only, I don't believe the trailer brakes are activated.
On two occasions I had the trailer come out to the side a little when it happened. It was easily recovered, but it was enough that I won't be using TACC anymore while towing.

Sure hope Tesla gets a handle on this issue soon!

Reactions: jsight
2019 Toyota Avalon Hybrid, 8500 mile road trip: ZERO phantom braking.

2021 MYLR (no FSD), 1700 miles r/t, Fort Worth-Denver: after the first 100 miles, 2 or 3 phantom braking, I stopped using it. Scary *sugar*.

fly4fun: HOW could you continue using FSD and count 40+ occurrences? Wow...

Just got home from a round trip from Denver to Albuquerque and back, all on I-25. Had maybe 4-5 relatively minor PB events on the way down, but had at least 12+ on the way back home, and a few of them were pretty hard slowdowns. Several of them were on open, flat, straight stretches of road going 75-80 with no other cars nearby. No shadows, no mirages, temps were only 55-60 degrees, literally no conceivable explanation for many of them. I'm seriously pissed off after over a year the car still does this out of the blue. In the past it was annoying, but today it totally unnerved me, to the point I'm considering selling the car.

2021 MYLR (no FSD), 1700 miles r/t, Fort Worth-Denver: after the first 100 miles, 2 or 3 phantom braking, I stopped using it. Scary *sugar*.

Same here. My Subaru Ascent has had zero phantom braking incidents.

Ford F450 dually towing a big fifth wheel while using adaptive cruise - zero phantom braking.

Both vehicles have been all over the western US and western Canada.

LOL It was spread out over two days of driving each way.
Nevertheless, I went from acceptance, to mild irritation, to annoyance, to totally pissed off with this experience.

For the record, I was using TACC, not FSD.
I paid for FSD, but have no intention of volunteering to beta test it.
I appreciate the efforts of those who do have the interest, and the strong nerves, to be doing the beta testing.

fly4fun:
LOL It was spread out over two days of driving each way.
Nevertheless, I went from acceptance, to mild irritation, to annoyance, to totally pissed off with this experience.

For the record, I was using TACC, not FSD.
I paid for FSD, but have no intention of volunteering to beta test it.
I appreciate the efforts of those who do have the interest, and the strong nerves, to be doing the beta testing.
HAHA! But you DID have the "strong nerves" to endure 40+ occurrences of phantom braking? I bailed at 3 occurrences, and continue to actually drive my car instead of having a questionably, and dangerous, software program drive for me.