Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phantom opening doors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As we've cover in several previous threads, I still think many of the Phantom opening of the FWD reported is simply caused by putting the FOB in your pocket getting double clicked as you walk. It has happened to me many times since I first got the car in June. I now have a clip on the key and just clip it on my laptop bag or belt loop. Now that its winter, putting it in your inside coat pocket also seems OK . My FOB is also in the Tesla leather case which they told me would help solve the issue - it does not.

We still need the option to TURN OFF FWD via FOB on the Doors menu. The first time you come back to your car from shopping at the mall and see the door open you will wish for this option too...

my 2 cents...

Happened to me on Christmas night.

Gave the family the ModelXmas show, clicked the key fob to lock up, and then went into the house. 15min later a neighbor knocks on the door to let us know that the drivers door is wide open. I'm confused, but ok, I'll take responsibility that I may have misclicked. I go outside to shut the door and lock up once again, then back in to the house. 15min later the door knocks again where another neighbor tells us our drivers door is wide open. I go back outside but this time I triple click to lock up. I end up monitoring the car for the rest of the night through the app - fortunately all clear.

Ever since that night my wife (main driver) freaks out and checks the app every 5min when parked somewhere. Luckily it's never happened again.

• Informative
Reactions: DrivingRockies
Happened to me on Christmas night.

Gave the family the ModelXmas show, clicked the key fob to lock up, and then went into the house. 15min later a neighbor knocks on the door to let us know that the drivers door is wide open. I'm confused, but ok, I'll take responsibility that I may have misclicked. I go outside to shut the door and lock up once again, then back in to the house. 15min later the door knocks again where another neighbor tells us our drivers door is wide open. I go back outside but this time I triple click to lock up. I end up monitoring the car for the rest of the night through the app - fortunately all clear.

Ever since that night my wife (main driver) freaks out and checks the app every 5min when parked somewhere. Luckily it's never happened again.
Santa has all fobs.

• Funny
Reactions: FarmerDave
As we've cover in several previous threads, I still think many of the Phantom opening of the FWD reported is simply caused by putting the FOB in your pocket getting double clicked as you walk. It has happened to me many times since I first got the car in June. I now have a clip on the key and just clip it on my laptop bag or belt loop. Now that its winter, putting it in your inside coat pocket also seems OK . My FOB is also in the Tesla leather case which they told me would help solve the issue - it does not.

We still need the option to TURN OFF FWD via FOB on the Doors menu. The first time you come back to your car from shopping at the mall and see the door open you will wish for this option too...

my 2 cents...

Embarrassing and scary at the same time to walk up and see a FWD open. This has happened to me twice while I was
just inside a business and within key fob range. I must have had my hands in my pockets at some point. The first time it happened
while I was visiting a relative at a nursing home. I had been there a few hours when a nurse stuck her head into the room asking if
anyone owned a gray SUV because a door has been left open. I didn't immediately react because my X was Titanium Copper.
I peeked out the window and sure enough .... it was my X! ... embarrassing.

The second time it happened while I stopped at a Time Warner Cable retail store to exchange a part. The store was located
in an old mostly abandoned strip mall right next to a convenience store. I parked just outside the store in a nice wide spot
thinking I would be inside for just a minute. I usually find a spot all to myself way away from other cars to avoid getting
door dings especially when the spaces are narrow, after all I get more exercise that way. I walk inside and the place is
packed with people and I take a number and stand around (probably with my hands in my pockets) since all of the seats
are occupied. After a good 30-45 minutes my number is called and I exchange my part in three minutes and I'm out the door.
And sure enough I get outside and two guys are standing at my open FWD (holding a six pack) peering into the X in
amazement .... embarrassing and scary. I've been lucky twice but I think we need a solution even if it means being
able to turn it off. How about a single text message warning (option) if a door gets left open for a couple minutes and
no one is sitting in a seat.

This happened to me while at my kids school. Parked right at the front entrance, closed all the doors and ensured they were closed and mirrors back before walking away. We were inside for about an hour and as we are leaving I can see through the school doors our driver side FWD up. Freaked me out. I have no idea how it would have opened as we were on the back side of the school so there's no way the fob could have been connected. Hasn't happened since.

With respect to the fob-generated phantom openings, I would love to see a new fob design with recessed buttons for everything. The gadget geek in me loves the look of the current fob, but it is too impractical on a day to day basis when it is so easy for pocket pressure to hit the buttons. Getting in and out of the car with jeans on (and the fob in a front pocket) I get a chime (indicating pressing the main button when a door is open and thus cancelling the lock command) maybe 1 out of 4 or 5 times that I get in or out of the car. :(

With respect to the fob-generated phantom openings, I would love to see a new fob design with recessed buttons for everything. The gadget geek in me loves the look of the current fob, but it is too impractical on a day to day basis when it is so easy for pocket pressure to hit the buttons. Getting in and out of the car with jeans on (and the fob in a front pocket) I get a chime (indicating pressing the main button when a door is open and thus cancelling the lock command) maybe 1 out of 4 or 5 times that I get in or out of the car. :(
I use the silicon cover, but still when I lean forward and reach into the trunk, sometimes the keyfob in my pocket gets triggered and cause the door to close... That's not safe at all... If a passenger is exiting the vehicle at the same time the FWD can hit his head...

Question:
I'd be curious to know if everyone here has the premium package with self presenting doors.

I acknowledge falcon wing doors are also opening but wondering if it is related in some way (hardware or software) to the self presenting option, with non-premium cars safe.

I have noticed the car is particularly sensitive to the fobs presence. I don't have self presenting doors but I noticed early in ownership that my car's headlights were coming on every two minutes while parked in my driveway. It was locking and unlocking because my fob was just at the edge of its range and thought I was constantly approaching and walking away. This was with the fob though a wall and 10 feet away.

I now keep my fob well away from the carport and at least 20 feet away.

Yesterday I had the left FWD open while I was not near the car -- out of range of the key fob. The door was only open about 4 inches. I'm not aware of any button or control that would open the door that limited amount.

This is the first time this has happened.

I use the silicon cover, but still when I lean forward and reach into the trunk, sometimes the keyfob in my pocket gets triggered and cause the door to close... That's not safe at all... If a passenger is exiting the vehicle at the same time the FWD can hit his head...
I disabled the one-click feature in the first week. I renamed it "the carnivorous door feature" after it tried to eat a couple of my friends. No false closes since then and I can still triple click to close all doors if I want.

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva