Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phil LeBeau on CNBC "real time test drive"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I only watched the first one, but the reported did a good job with the facts about the car. I was a little surprised that the talking heads in the studio were so surprised that it took a whole hour to recharge on a Supercharger, and seemed annoyed that you would have to find something to do at a mall after driving for 3 and a half hours.

What's overlooked by these talking heads is fuel from the supercharger is free. To travel the same distance in an ICE would for most consumers cost at least an hour's worth of labor. I don't know many people that wouldn't gladly trade an hour working at the office for an hour shopping at the mall.

Have been watching these videos/coverage from CNBC and I think this can really have a very positive effect on the stock (especially a day before earnings are announced) and TM in general -- CNBC's viewership will get a heavy dose of "Tesla" as this coverage continues all day and hopefully it will get folks interested in the brand. My guess -- this test drive should run smoothly as it looks like other media outlets are looking to show the viability of the Model S and the sketchy reporting done by Broder.

I'm still frustrated too in the issues reporters are having with reporting about TM but definitely think this coverage can be a really big additional boost after TMC members and CNN already proved Broder's NYT reporting was shoddy on this one.

You just can't pay for this exposure.

And so far, LeBeau has really done a great job, at least on the on-air parts I've been watching. Very balanced. I think he did mention that the SuperChargers are free, in the last clip. He said he's already overcoming his Range Anxiety.

Next hurdle is not Model S performance, but the fact that Brian Sullivan and Mandy Drury just started their show. Sullivan has complained about "Trust fund millionaires driving Priuses" more times than I can count, and he loves to turn up the drama. Ideally, Phil LeBeau loves the S as much as the rest of us by now, and won't be ruffled when he's back on-air. I'm guessing they'll have a quick interview before he leaves the Milford SuperCharger.

I love how Broder got Tesla more free publicity than anything else so far. Also, awesome that the other news outlets are rubbing it in, and that most public sentiment appears to be in Tesla's favor. Also, thanks to Aaron and everyone else who did the Tesla Trip - my portfolio today is really appreciating it - picked up a few more shares on Friday during the "Broder dip". Tomorrow will be interesting!

The trip to this point was 95 miles. The car with an 85 kWh battery has a range of 265 miles from full charge, so Phil made it with plenty to spare.
They than said that they would be at the Supercharger for about one hour, but to top up the 95 miles should be considerable faster right? (Presuming it was full to start with) What am I missing?

They than said that they would be at the Supercharger for about one hour, but to top up the 95 miles should be considerable faster right? (Presuming it was full to start with) What am I missing?

In the latest video update he said he was there for about 50 minutes.

My guess as to why it might have taken that long:
1) It might not have been full to start with.
2) He might have known that he'd have extra battery power on the first leg, so drove faster and/or accelerated quickly more often.
3) When doing a range mode charge, the last 10% or so of the battery takes longer to charge because the amps drop down when it's nearly full.

Latest video here:
LeBeau - CNBC

Note that this is also being discussed here:
Phil LeBeau on CNBC

Who would have thought it? CNBC and an enthusiastic Phil LeBeau is selling the Tesla Model S. His reports are knowledgeable and very positive. As many have mentioned, you can't buy this kind of advertising. He also opined that the stock price rise was due to an expected good earnings report tomorrow. He looks like he's having fun, too.