Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phil LeBeau on CNBC "real time test drive"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there iPad-compatible video anywhere? CNBC's video site requires Flash, and clicking the images in the article just results in black rectangles.

I doubt it but there is a free cnbc app where you are supposed to be able to watch videos, i havent tried it so i dont know how well it works or if you can access Phil Lebeau's content.
Might be worth a try, hope it helps.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/35332013

there is a free cnbc app where you are supposed to be able to watch videos

Yep. I viewed the video in the CNBC app. Thanks.

P.S. Getting sound to work in that app is goofy, as you have to turn off the mute switch (if configured as such instead of rotation lock), which is counter to the documented behavior of other media (Safari, YouTube app, etc.).

Last edited:
I don't think anyone on this forum would call this CNBC coverage less than amazing. Possibly "game changing". I've watched CNBC pretty much all day every business day for the past 5 years and never seen anything like this. They started out inviting Elon on and hoping for a "John McAfee" nutso millionaire rant but it turned into this truly astounding media blitz. I have to admit I was grinning like an idiot all the way through the later video clips, as in "finally someone gets it". I think this might even be a "tipping point" for EV coverage on the business news. Any time they need an opinion they'll be bouncing back to Phil LeBeau. It might even finally beat down the BBC knee-jerk anti-EV gibberish. As said further up, it's just beautiful what Broder has done for Tesla Motors.

I doubt Broder's will be the final flatbed, but in spirit, MPT is right. I almost want to thank Mr Broder. Almost.

The recharge rate drops off fast as the battery fills up due to how Li-Ion batteries work. The 150 miles in 30 minutes is only if the battery is nearly empty.

If Tesla does not do it first, I would love for someone who lives near a Supercharger to arrive close to empty and then actually carefully record charge rate as a function of state of charge (SoC). I would love to see that graph!

If Tesla does not do it first, I would love for someone who lives near a Supercharger to arrive close to empty and then actually carefully record charge rate as a function of state of charge (SoC). I would love to see that graph!
When I was charging at Milford on Monday, the rate-of-charge was above 200 when the rated miles was at 220. So, even at this range, I was getting over 3 miles per minute. Had he stayed even 10 minutes longer, Broder would have been fine. Ah, but those busy reporters can't possibly wait.

After spending 8 hours driving the EV from Washington, D.C. to Boston, I am convinced that this car is proof a solely electric car can and ultimately will gain acceptance by American drivers, and not just for those looking for a second car just to run errands around the neighborhood.

Nobody knows what will happen with those and other questions sure to come up. But I do know this after driving the Model S from D.C. to Boston: Tesla has built a car a lot of people will want to drive.

This is definitely worth reading in its entirety!

Yep, I'll eat crow on this one. I criticized Elon for the "fake" comment. I was wrong.

I wasn't terribly comfortable with it either.

But when I was like three years old I got into a scuffle with a friend (our moms were there) and my mom yelled out "kick em in the 8alls!" (both moms laughed). Neither of us even knew what she was talking about (which is probably why it was funny to our moms) but I still clearly remember the comment, and the obvious point was to quit trying to fight fair, and instead just win.

I really can't imagine taking the PR risk Elon did. He had a real argument to be made on the merits, but instead of just doing that he went for the jugular, knocked the Times back onto their heels (and ginned up a massive media storm) then allowed the argument to be resolved in the happy center leaving himself with an obvious PR win.

I wasn't terribly comfortable with it either.

But when I was like three years old I got into a scuffle with a friend (our moms were there) and my mom yelled out "kick em in the 8alls!" (both moms laughed). Neither of us even knew what she was talking about (which is probably why it was funny to our moms) but I still clearly remember the comment, and the obvious point was to quit trying to fight fair, and instead just win.

I really can't imagine taking the PR risk Elon did. He had a real argument to be made on the merits, but instead of just doing that he went for the jugular, knocked the Times back onto their heels (and ginned up a massive media storm) then allowed the argument to be resolved in the happy center leaving himself with an obvious PR win.

In my mind Elon was not overreacting!
He did not make a big scene but just sais : your article is fake and I will prove it!
Tesla experienced the TG debacle when playing nice.
This showed the only good way was to react immediately to reduce dammage!
Even Nissan learned from Tesla and reacted immediately after another TG entertainment-schow, and stopped it getting further!
This only enforced the notion for tesla that reacting immediatelly was the only good thing to do.

What happened afterwards with all those tvchannels & newsreports was nothing more than easy news!
controversial & exciting cheap news!
For these channels it was less about the Model S as it was for the controversy at play!
It was all about the NYT and not Tesla!

I think he should have responded, but not used the word "fake". That's an attack on the guy's journalistic integrity, and Elon didn't really have evidence to back that up. Broder claims much of what he did was on the advice of Tesla, which Elon disputed, but he didn't provide evidence. I'm not saying Broder is blameless, but "fake" is over the top.

I think he should have responded, but not used the word "fake". That's an attack on the guy's journalistic integrity, and Elon didn't really have evidence to back that up. Broder claims much of what he did was on the advice of Tesla, which Elon disputed, but he didn't provide evidence. I'm not saying Broder is blameless, but "fake" is over the top.

He should have said the article is "not blameless"? ;)

I think the only valid criticism of how Elon handled the situation is if a different approach would have gotten better results. I don't believe that to be so. Had he been "diplomatic" the situation would have never gotten so much attention and the re-enactments by other news organizations might never have come about.

In addition I believe Elon's vigorous reponse helps ensure Tesla will get even handed treatment from the press in the future. You can be sure Broder's article has been a huge subject around the water coolers in most all news organizations. And despite the response from the NYT you can bet it has been an embarassment internally. This whole bruhaha has not only been a good thing for Tesla, but probably for the news media in general, and dare I say, our country. Had Elon used kid gloves the Old Grey Lady would have quickly swept everything under her skirts. And the "paper of record" would have contributed to the spread of EV ignorance instead of EV fact.