Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone adapter installation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To get the two tabs into the space you just need to close the lid slightly to give you enough space to slide in the tabs in from the back.

Aha!!! Thank you xS<>Xx! Spent a bit of time wrestling with it before consulting this forum.

Surprised that it was not installed for me at delivery - just got a card board box containing the parts - no directions included.

Also, the cable that comes with the phone adapter is just long enough to reach a USB charger plugged into the 12V outlet, if you have a small, flush mount charger. I chose to do this to take advantage of quick charging vs. the slow charging offered via the car's USB ports and to get rid of the annoying pop up that appears on my android phone about media files access.

Search the forums here and YouTube for the "toothpick" modification for the dock. With an exacto knife/scalpel and a small piece of plastic or wood you can modify the lightening connector side of the cable allowing most iPhone cases to work with the dock.

I got a box of cables and parts that came in the glove compartment but there is no installation instructions. Or is the installation that simple and i'm just not getting it:confused:
I just received a bag-o-parts too. Googling to see installed photos. There are two screws and a path for the USB cable...so those are good bread crumbs. Do I need to cut the rubber pad? Hmmm

I just received a bag-o-parts too. Googling to see installed photos. There are two screws and a path for the USB cable...so those are good bread crumbs. Do I need to cut the rubber pad? Hmmm
Rubber pad should pull out. Do a YouTube search for "tesla phone dock installation" and you'll find tons of videos that will walk you through it. I followed one of those videos to remove and reinstall mine (replacing cable with a usb-c one).

Rubber pad should pull out. Do a YouTube search for "tesla phone dock installation" and you'll find tons of videos that will walk you through it. I followed one of those videos to remove and reinstall mine (replacing cable with a usb-c one).
Thx found a good video had it done in 10 minutes. Hardest part was pulling the USB cable up. Had a full length USB cable made a loop stuck it in the slot and used the loop to fish the new adaptor USB end up.