Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone always connects to car and starts playing music/podcast automatically

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla seems to have a ridiculously aggressive Bluetooth. It will grab any source within reach whether you want it or not. It's been turning on my Google Play music and playing random selections lately. If my wife is within 50 feet of the car it will grab her phone calls. Only solution I've found is to turn off the Bluetooth.

This is such an annoying behavior. I listen to audio books while driving. Even if I select a different audio source when parking the car (AM/FM), the car persists in playing my audiobook the next time the car door is opened. You won't be able to hear it as the radio is playing, but the audiobook is streaming from my phone nonetheless. Even if the Audible app is force-killed after parking the car, the car somehow requests that audio be streamed from my iPhone via Audible the next time the car door is opened.

Is there any way to get these minor annoyances to the software crew at Tesla so they can be addressed?

This is such an annoying behavior. I listen to audio books while driving. Even if I select a different audio source when parking the car (AM/FM), the car persists in playing my audiobook the next time the car door is opened. You won't be able to hear it as the radio is playing, but the audiobook is streaming from my phone nonetheless. Even if the Audible app is force-killed after parking the car, the car somehow requests that audio be streamed from my iPhone via Audible the next time the car door is opened.

Is there any way to get these minor annoyances to the software crew at Tesla so they can be addressed?
This drives me crazy too.

As a (rather annoying) workaround, I try to select phone as the source before getting out of the car. That way when I get back in, I hear the audio from my phone playing and that reminds me to stop it.

• Helpful
Reactions: skialpine
I too find this a distraction from what is really important (driving). I have not found a way to prevent this. It seems that changing the default to "bluetooth auto-play off" or "music auto-play on connect = off" would be a possibility. This app is open and connected (and sometimes playing) even when another source is selected so at the very least - it is wasting my phone battery and cellular bandwidth. I can't even close the app on the phone. I can quit the app on my watch but the app continues to run on the phone no matter what I do. I find this cumbersome.

Reactions: OBX John
Great news, if it works. Posted in Electrek regarding a new software update starting to propagate.

Bluetooth improvements
For the Bluetooth improvements, Green shared the release notes he found in the code:

To improve the audio transition from phone-to-car when entering your vehicle, Bluetooth now connects to your paired phone only after you are sitting in the driver’s seat and all doors are closed. As a reminder, you can pair your phone to Bluetooth by touching the Bluetooth icon on the top of your touchscreen and then ‘Add New Device.’

This is actually a feature that was suggested to Elon Musk on Twitter in order to avoid having your phone connect to your car while you’re around it but not in it.

• Love
Reactions: SSonnentag
For those frustrated with their iPhones playing (music or audiobooks) every time it connects to your car, regardless if you are listing to a different source. You can set up an automation in Short Cuts on your iPhone to pause it every time it connects to your car. This works on my phone. But the trade off is you get a notification on your iPhone every time it happens, but it does work.

The automation is: "When" = iPhone connects to Tesla "Do" = Pause on iPhone

Just wondering if it's actually phone behavior rather than car? I have this problem with iPhone where after I get off phone call it'll just start playing music even though I was not playing music before phone call. It drives me nuts, b/c it's usually loud and i have my headset on.
Along the same lines, if my last selection for media in the car was phone, it'll just start playing music as soon as it connects.
If you have an iPhone, this may be causing it. Kind of a known/issue feature with iPhone that I still don't have a remedy for, and it's been an issue since iPhone 4

Searching for a solution to this problem brought me to this post, I can confirm my car does it and it hasn’t been fixed.

I’ll be playing music from USB and exit the car, as soon as I re-enter the car, it’s playing Apple Podcasts automatically, regardless of the source being used at time of exiting the vehicle.

Reactions: SucreTease