Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone as Key Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FWIW, my Chevy Bolt has the phone as a key feature and it is flawless and it includes a passive entry fob too.

My wife and I could probably use some lessons on how you got the Bolt's phone key feature to be "flawless".

For one thing we couldn't get it to work at all at first. We both sat in the car forever trying to get either of our phones to pair and we simply could not.

Eventually she got hers to pair (not sure what she did), but now it only locks the car when she walks away. It never unlocks when she approaches. This was pretty much the exact opposite behavior she wanted, so she tried to remove the functionality at all and it didn't have any effect--it still locks automatically when she walks away.

It could (and likely is) user error, but I have to say the Bolt KeyPass (or whatever they call it) is not on my list of likable features of the Bolt.

• Informative
Reactions: jsmay311
Until the Model S/X get their interior update to match the Model 3 design language, they have a traditional fob that has passive entry in it. The generic Model 3 fob doesn't have passive entry.

FWIW, my Chevy Bolt has the phone as a key feature and it is flawless and it includes a passive entry fob too.

Model S/X interior updates apply to old model Y/ software update or just going forward?

My wife and I could probably use some lessons on how you got the Bolt's phone key feature to be "flawless".

For one thing we couldn't get it to work at all at first. We both sat in the car forever trying to get either of our phones to pair and we simply could not.

Eventually she got hers to pair (not sure what she did), but now it only locks the car when she walks away. It never unlocks when she approaches. This was pretty much the exact opposite behavior she wanted, so she tried to remove the functionality at all and it didn't have any effect--it still locks automatically when she walks away.

It could (and likely is) user error, but I have to say the Bolt KeyPass (or whatever they call it) is not on my list of likable features of the Bolt.

That sucks. At least you have a couple passive entry fobs. I use an iOS device if that is any help, but I recommend a service visit to get it working right.

I had the same issue with my Fitbit app. After uninstalling, re-installing, modifying all the settings and then putting them back I finally got the Fitbit app to work again. I don't have a clue how i did it. After I got it working I turned off all the auto-sync settings just in case it interferes with the Tesla Key. I have the Pixel also with the latest Android.

Gocken, thank you so much! We recently got a Model 3 and our Fitbit Versa notifications broke also. We tried the troubleshooting steps on the Fitbit support site (turn bluetooth off/on, reboot phone/watch, remove and re-add bluetooth pairing, ...), but what finally worked for me was doing a "Factory Reset" of the Versa (from the on-watch settings) and then setting it up again from scratch. Hopefully the notifications keep working..

Does anyone have a Pixel 3a? Curious what their experience is with phone-as-key with Model 3.

also curious. been thinking about upgrading to the 3a XL.

I would imagine it has been solid, as the regular pixel is one of the phones I've seen people say works pretty well.

on another note: I'm still working on trying to figure out a way to improve walk away lock. unlock has been pretty solid for me (knock on wood)...

Last week I went kayaking (as I do about once a week; I get to stay out on the water longer than than the club does with the canoes) and I didn't want to take my phone out on the water. I shut off the BT, left the phone in the car, and locked the car with the key card, which is waterproof. No problems. But I forgot to turn the BT back on. Went to the grocery store later that day, blissfully unaware that the car did not lock itself when I walked away.

I'd much rather have a lock button on the car so I could positively lock it and know it was locked. Maybe I need to get into the habit of pulling out the key card to lock the car.

Hey, now that's a really neat idea.
One day my Model 3 will arrive, and as I don't intend to use my phone as the key, this "life-hack" will do the trick just fine for me. Would still prefer a traditional fob though.
While the card stored in the phone case will problaby work well to get into the car it may not be the best thing to start it and drive. the card needs to be placed behind the cup holder and in front of the console lid. It may not fit there well and is less likely to stay there.

You can purchase a fob as an accessory Model 3 Key Fob They are sold out on line but may be in stock at your delivery center when you take delivery.

While the card stored in the phone case will problaby work well to get into the car it may not be the best thing to start it and drive. the card needs to be placed behind the cup holder and in front of the console lid. It may not fit there well and is less likely to stay there.

The card doesn't have to stay near the cup holder, you only ave to put it there long enough to "start" the car.

Reactions: AustinPowers
Last week I went kayaking (as I do about once a week; I get to stay out on the water longer than than the club does with the canoes) and I didn't want to take my phone out on the water. I shut off the BT, left the phone in the car, and locked the car with the key card, which is waterproof. No problems. But I forgot to turn the BT back on. Went to the grocery store later that day, blissfully unaware that the car did not lock itself when I walked away.

I'd much rather have a lock button on the car so I could positively lock it and know it was locked. Maybe I need to get into the habit of pulling out the key card to lock the car.

the car can be locked on the screen or on the app.

The card doesn't have to stay near the cup holder, you only ave to put it there long enough to "start" the car.

It does seem that you are right. I have not used the card more than a few times. Once I had placed the car on the console and them moved it to the cup holder. later I got the graphic showing the card needed to be paced on the console. So I assumed that card was meant to stay there. I do not know what triggered that and cannot get it to repeat so maybe I'll never know.

The card doesn't even need to be placed near the cupholder at all. As long as you press the brake pedal within 15-20 seconds of unlocking the car with the card, you can drive it with the key card back in your pocket.