Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone as Key Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
yes yes yes, the phone app is set to my 3 as it is still the only way i can actually get into my car.

rebooted phone, rebooted car nothing helps. just updated my phone OS last night, have not tried to enter the car yet.
Well, then there's definitely something wrong with your car or phone. I'm sure service will get it straightened out. We have some complaints about the Model 3, but the phone key is not one... has worked perfectly since day 1 other than some user errors like having the app on the wrong vehicle page as described above. The system just works perfectly for us.

Reactions: Futuresystem
Well, then there's definitely something wrong with your car or phone. I'm sure service will get it straightened out. We have some complaints about the Model 3, but the phone key is not one... has worked perfectly since day 1 other than some user errors like having the app on the wrong vehicle page as described above. The system just works perfectly for us.

i really hope some sensors in the door fell off. on day 2 and 3 i notice a metallic jingling noise coming from inside the two front doors when closing. the noise has since went away and it sort of lines up with my entry issues. except the keycard one... no idea what is happening there.

Seems to me this "be on the right car" thing has gone from "an isolated user error" to a design issue, probably a side effect of how the app is coded. vNext, here we come.
I don't understand. I didn't claim it was an error in the app. Seems that's the way it is supposed to work so you only unlock one vehicle (desired one) at a time if you own more than one. I have issues with the car and UI, but so far for us (multi-Tesla family), the way the phone-key/app works is fine. Perfectly reliable, works the way we expected, never has acted in an odd way.

My wife and I have Android phones, the OP has iPhone, we both have multiple Tesla vehicles and the same problem.

We can rule out this being an iPhone or Android issue, its both.

I spent a good 1 1/2 hours on the phone with three separate service people today. The problem would seem to be resolved only to return again 20 to 30 minutes later.

One peculiar thing that raised my eyebrow when experimenting with my wife's phone next to mine, when her app reconnected to the Model 3 often mine will too approximately 20 second later. Also, when a reconnection is made, it sometimes unlocks the doors and if the connection is lost too quickly, it leave them unlocked.

Could this issue be a multiple-car, multiple-same-phone* problem?

*two exact same model androids or two exact same model iPhones

for posterity sake, wife and i both have android devices. tomorrow i am going to bring her phone with me to see if it helps with my situation.

Come to think of it, this problem started right after I downloaded the app to her phone (she never used the app with Model S and deleted it a while back) so she would have a key to the Model 3.

If she's cool with it, I'll delete the app from her phone to see what happens tomorrow then report back.

Come to think of it, this problem started right after I downloaded the app to her phone (she never used the app with Model S and deleted it a while back) so she would have a key to the Model 3.

If she's cool with it, I'll delete the app from her phone to see what happens tomorrow then report back.

i would say hold on that. the wife and i both had the app installed and ready BEFORE delivery. only 3 days later did my phonekey issues arise.

Once again it shows that sometimes, being too progressive on new tech can be a problem. When I told my colleagues about this thread they said "see, that's why even if we someday buy a BEV, it will be one from [insert traditional automaker]. At least they know how to deliver finished and well thought-out products".
And remember, that is what my colleagues say, not my own opinion.

We took delivery of a new Model 3 yesterday. We had no problem connecting both of our iPhones up as "keys" to accommodate keyless entry and start.

Overall, the functionality seemed great, until we realized the app always needs to be running and then this morning my wife's phone/app showed "disconnected" under the "Phone as a key" setting in the app and it stopped working as a key. This wouldn't be a huge deal, except the "card keys" really suck. The card keys are like going back in time to a physical car key, except these card keys are hard to hold, easy to lose, and try opening the door with one in your hand and a bag of groceries in another with the funky handles. I'd pay another $1000 for a regular old keyfob with basic remote.

On the "phone as a key" disconnect issue. We tried everything to resolve with Tesla. Checked versions of iOS. Rebooted the console. deleted the app and re-added the app. Unpaired the phone from the car (forget/forget). We were able to get it back to a point to set it up again, but when we tried to setup again, it fails every time with "unable to connect to your vehicle", which is ironic, because the same exact app at the same time on the same phone can honk the horn, blink the lights, and do everything else "connecting to the car", except set-up "phone as key". An hour later with Tesla and all we got was a logged issue.

Any other new owners have issues with "Phone as Key" disconnecting and/or unable to set up?

On firmware 81. - 48.15

I just had a phone as key issue, but it sounds completely different than your issue. I was installing car seats in the back of our new Model 3 and after I closed the door, I got a message on my phone (iPhone7) that the Model 3 had been removed from my tesla account, the car locked, and then the app only showed the Model S. I tried swiping to a different car in the app and then I saw this graphic that looked like a Tesla power wall momentarily. I think this one is on Tesla's end. They did after all add the Model 3 to our phone app during delivery without touching our phones or having us do anything but open up the App. At least the key card worked properly. I'll give Tesla a call if the Model 3 doesn't show up again once we hit normal business hours.

I just had a phone as key issue, but it sounds completely different than your issue. I was installing car seats in the back of our new Model 3 and after I closed the door, I got a message on my phone (iPhone7) that the Model 3 had been removed from my tesla account, the car locked, and then the app only showed the Model S. I tried swiping to a different car in the app and then I saw this graphic that looked like a Tesla power wall momentarily. I think this one is on Tesla's end. They did after all add the Model 3 to our phone app during delivery without touching our phones or having us do anything but open up the App. At least the key card worked properly. I'll give Tesla a call if the Model 3 doesn't show up again once we hit normal business hours.
Same happened to me the day after taking delivery. Contacted Tesla a couple of times. It took 2 business days to resolve.
On the phone-key issue, my phone worked fine. My wife's would not configure when I went through the initial config steps. Contacted Tesla, they said the problem is that she can't use my Tesla acct with her phone and have the phone-key function.
So, I needed to send an email to Tesla with her particular info (phone #, email etc) and they will set up a separate acct for her phone to work as a key.
We'll see if that works in a day or so.

Same happened to me the day after taking delivery. Contacted Tesla a couple of times. It took 2 business days to resolve.
On the phone-key issue, my phone worked fine. My wife's would not configure when I went through the initial config steps. Contacted Tesla, they said the problem is that she can't use my Tesla acct with her phone and have the phone-key function.
So, I needed to send an email to Tesla with her particular info (phone #, email etc) and they will set up a separate acct for her phone to work as a key.
We'll see if that works in a day or so.
Gee this is as bad as with those confounded Apple IDs and shared iTunes accounts.

picked up my car from the best damn service center in all of southern california [burbank] and my phone key issues have been resolved. there is still a bit of an annoying delay, but i can actually enter my car now :D

Uhhh are you sure? I would be super surprised if there was a car-side adjustment that they could make to resolve phone key issues. Any chance they can tell you what they found/did?

I ask not to be rude/a doubter, but because I've had phone key issues and assumed a service visit would be pointless (plus Torrance never responded to me...)