Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone as Key Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i would say hold on that. the wife and i both had the app installed and ready BEFORE delivery. only 3 days later did my phonekey issues arise.

****PROBLEM SOLVED [Kind of]***

So, yes you both had the app but I'm guessing that both of you had not activated the phone as key option. As it turns out I in fact did remove the app from her phone and the problem was immediately resolved. It has now been 24 hours without one single issue!

No proof, but from reading posts here it appears the issue is happening to those of us who are using the same model of phones as someone else - who also has the phone as key activated.

Also, engineering is aware of the problem and looking into it.

Picked up my 3 last Friday (600 miles and loving it). My wife's iPhone 8+ and my iPhone 6S+ connected without issue in the showroom. We have had no issues with phone-as-key in the week we've had it. Well... aside from unwanted activity whenever we walk near the garage. I'm hoping for some sort of geo-fencing "we're at home, stop unlocking" feature some day.

Picked up my 3 last Friday (600 miles and loving it). My wife's iPhone 8+ and my iPhone 6S+ connected without issue in the showroom. We have had no issues with phone-as-key in the week we've had it. Well... aside from unwanted activity whenever we walk near the garage. I'm hoping for some sort of geo-fencing "we're at home, stop unlocking" feature some day.

As suspected this is not an issue as you and your wife have two different iPhone models/versions. So far this problem seems to be isolated to those of us using identical model/versions.

We have a Model 3 only, and use both our iPhone 5S's as the Phone Key in the app. We have both experienced issues with the Phone Key being disconnected and unable to identify a repeatable way of getting the feature to reconnect, Tried all of the suggested fixes and none work. So I give up and the next morning everything works. Never know when it will be disconnected. Very frustrating and hope someone finds a cure and soon.

We have a Model 3 only, and use both our iPhone 5S's as the Phone Key in the app. We have both experienced issues with the Phone Key being disconnected and unable to identify a repeatable way of getting the feature to reconnect, Tried all of the suggested fixes and none work. So I give up and the next morning everything works. Never know when it will be disconnected. Very frustrating and hope someone finds a cure and soon.
Just wondering, since I take delivery later this month, is it inconvenient to just use the key card until this all gets sorted out?

I have android and still have issues with the phone key connecting all of the time, it only works ~75% of the time for me. Even when it won't connect automatically, it's still not very difficult to get in the car and drive off. My procedure is to hit unlock in the app and then get in and hit the enable keyless driving button with fingerprint scan to get going.

Today my phone app wouldn't show the key as connected even though i could see i was connected to the car with Bluetooth. I reset the bluetooth on my phone and then the app was able to connect.

This narrows the problem. Since you have one Tesla vehicle and using two identical phones we now know that it is not a multiple car issue, rather a multiple phone issue. In your case two iPhone 5s's, in my case two Android S7's.

I am not sure if this is the same issue but we are having an issue where we walk away from the car (with both key cards and both connected phones) and the car does not lock 30% of the time (making sure we walk away like 100 feet as well) We have to manually lock it with the app or with the key card.

I am not sure if this is the same issue but we are having an issue where we walk away from the car (with both key cards and both connected phones) and the car does not lock 30% of the time (making sure we walk away like 100 feet as well) We have to manually lock it with the app or with the key card.

do you have any issues unlocking? i had a NFC detector fail which meant i could not enter the car via phone or hotel card.

***PSA: If you are using an android device and having the issue being discussed in this thread:

1) click settings (on the phone)
2) click the Tesla app
3) look for 'Change system settings' and make sure it is 'On'.

My android is an S7, so this may not be the exact procedure for your android but it should be close. Main thing is that the app must have the 'Change systems settings' or similarly named choice clicked 'On'.

*iPhone users have a similar setting?
**After reinstalling my wife's app and changing this setting in both phones the issue seems to be fixed. Been 24 hours with both phones as keys working properly.

Well... aside from unwanted activity whenever we walk near the garage. I'm hoping for some sort of geo-fencing "we're at home, stop unlocking" feature some day.
I've got a similar issue where the car keeps locking and unlocking as we move about the house with the connected phone. Our garage is below our kitchen area and the distance isn't great, albeit through the floor.

Seems like we need the home geofence or some way to reduce the range of the bluetooth unlock activation while at home.

Anyone with similar issues?

• Informative
Reactions: ohmman