Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone as key without service?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If the Tesla app has a watch version, which it doesn’t now. You may be able to use Remote S, which works well on the Apple Watch, and has been tested with the Model 3 (and with the new watch, using LTE (so it doesn’t need a phone)).
Thanks Lee, an app is necessary for a Smartwatch. I will research "Remote S" and LTE. Do you have a link for the test of Remote S on the 3?

In my opinion that app is just around the corner with 500+ reservations. I think there will be other alternatives too, I am just not tech savvy enough to know what they will be. I believe the EV movement coupled with tech connection is going to be YUGE, believe me, yuge.

Thanks Lee, an app is necessary for a Smartwatch. I will research "Remote S" and LTE. Do you have a link for the test of Remote S on the 3?

In my opinion that app is just around the corner with 500+ reservations. I think there will be other alternatives too, I am just not tech savvy enough to know what they will be. I believe the EV movement coupled with tech connection is going to be YUGE, believe me, yuge.
I’ve done some research on this very setup - a few points:
  1. Even with an LTE Apple Watch you still need an iPhone. The Apple Watch is not designed (yet) to be a standalone device. Once the app has been loaded on the watch then it should work without having a connection to the phone (assuming the new LTE version), but I haven’t seen any proof of this.
  2. Remote S works, but it’s going over the internet and often there is a delay while it connects. While ok as a backup method I wouldn’t want to use it as the primary way of unlocking the car.
  3. There have been some hints that Tesla is going to start locking out third party apps.
Ideally Tesla will add support for additional devices using Bluetooth or NFC. Then you could have a watch that either works just like a key fob (Bluetooth), or that you wave over the pillar to unlock (NFC).

1. Even with an LTE Apple Watch you still need an iPhone. The Apple Watch is not designed (yet) to be a standalone device. Once the app has been loaded on the watch then it should work without having a connection to the phone (assuming the new LTE version), but I haven’t seen any proof of this.
  2. Remote S works, but it’s going over the internet and often there is a delay while it connects. While ok as a backup method I wouldn’t want to use it as the primary way of unlocking the car.
  3. There have been some hints that Tesla is going to start locking out third party apps.
Ideally Tesla will add support for additional devices using Bluetooth or NFC. Then you could have a watch that either works just like a key fob (Bluetooth), or that you wave over the pillar to unlock (NFC).

Apple Watch Series 3 has built-in LTE

Reactions: C141medic
image.gif

We don't need no stinkin' Apple Watches. They're so 2015.
Robin

• Funny
Reactions: Runt8
If you go over to the Model S forum, you will find a few reports of people stopping in an area where there is no cell coverage and not being able to start their car. Since I'll be the second driver on our Model 3, I'll always have a key card in my wallet.
Model S is different. The phone is talking to the mothership and the mothership is talking to the car. With the 3, the phone talks to the car. Still possible to break a phone so a backup is a good idea.

If you have a physical key, it’s also possible to loose it...

• Informative
Reactions: DR61
If you go over to the Model S forum, you will find a few reports of people stopping in an area where there is no cell coverage and not being able to start their car. Since I'll be the second driver on our Model 3, I'll always have a key card in my wallet.
The S doesn't have the same NFC keycard and bluetooth pairing in the app (at least not yet). I would not assume that they are the same among both cars. The Model 3 key manual specifically mentions that the Model 3 app uses bluetooth to work as a key, not an internet connection (like Model S).

• Informative
Reactions: DR61

Model S is different. The phone is talking to the mothership and the mothership is talking to the car. With the 3, the phone talks to the car. Still possible to break a phone so a backup is a good idea.

If you have a physical key, it’s also possible to loose it...
The way I read it is that the phone, for the model 3, will use Bluetooth to unlock it and let you start and drive it. In those cases the phone is talking directly with the car. For everything else, opening the trunk, frunk, prewarming or cooling, checking charge status, etc. you use the app which will use the internet to connect to a central server to contact the car. So, as long as your paired phone is charged and has Bluetooth turned on you should be able to get in and drive away. If there is no cell service though you won't be able to do anything else.

The way I read it is that the phone, for the model 3, will use Bluetooth to unlock it and let you start and drive it. In those cases the phone is talking directly with the car. For everything else, opening the trunk, frunk, prewarming or cooling, checking charge status, etc. you use the app which will use the internet to connect to a central server to contact the car. So, as long as your paired phone is charged and has Bluetooth turned on you should be able to get in and drive away. If there is no cell service though you won't be able to do anything else.

That's possible, but it's also possible that the app will still send those commands to the car, via BLE, when in range. When you're further away, it will access the internet to perform the functions.

• Informative
Reactions: DR61 and Runt8
I think there are two aspects to this.

1. The Tesla App can lock, unlock, control the climate stuff, etc. from anywhere on the planet, so long as both the car has a cellular connection and the phone is on the Internet (wifi or cell). I don't think the phone needs to be paired with the car to do this; the app just needs your account and password.

2. The phone can unlock the car with its Bluetooth signal, provided it's been properly set up with the app and paired with the car. The Keycard and Internet are needed (once) for this setup & pairing to take place. Once done, neither the car nor phone need an internet connection for the Bluetooth unlock to work. Think deep underground parking garage.

At least, that's what I have come to believe...
Correct! My iPhone, unpaired, opened my car while it was in a Tesla Service Center (they lost the key) and I was 4,600 miles away. The Tesla app, signed in, is all you need, but you too need an internet connection and both ends to accomplish that. My own connection was with cellular roaming data in that case. FWIW, I can also access my car via my Apple Watch. I presume both of those things will work in Android versions too, but I do not know that for certain.

• Informative
Reactions: DR61 and T34ME
Apple Watch 3 will do this independently of an iPhone if you have the version with cellular enablement. It works. Thus far, AFAIK, Remote S is the only operable app for Apple Watch that allows locking/unlocking. There may be others that I do not know.

Apple Watch 3 will do this independently of an iPhone if you have the version with cellular enablement. It works. Thus far, AFAIK, Remote S is the only operable app for Apple Watch that allows locking/unlocking. There may be others that I do not know.
Helpful and informative. I presume Remote S is a third party app not supported by TESLA. There are rumors on the Internet that TESLA is going to lock out third party apps. Why would TESLA want to disable an app that saved the Service Center's bacon when they lost your key? This is evolving technology and I think we will see new developments rather quickly as time passes.

Helpful and informative. I presume Remote S is a third party app not supported by TESLA. There are rumors on the Internet that TESLA is going to lock out third party apps. Why would TESLA want to disable an app that saved the Service Center's bacon when they lost your key? This is evolving technology and I think we will see new developments rather quickly as time passes.
Actually the app I used in that unlocking event was the Tesla app. Both the Tesla app and RemoteS are similar using the Tesla API, but RemoteS has an Apple Watch app while the Tesla app does not. Basically the advantage of Remote S is nicer graphics and more granular settings. There will be much more flexibility coming, I think. The biggest issues for Tesla IMO are that users of non-Tesla apps can put pretty high messaging loads that the native apps are designed to minimize, and the constant-on character of some of them can be difficult for Tesla administration. I personally try to use them only when I am needing something, not just curiosity, in order to minimize unneeded calls on the system and keep from waking up my car too much. She does need her sleep too:)

• Informative
Reactions: T34ME
That's possible, but it's also possible that the app will still send those commands to the car, via BLE, when in range. When you're further away, it will access the internet to perform the functions.
That's possible too. :D

Of course if your close enough for Bluetooth to work you should also be close enough that, if the app does rely on internet, you can just get in and use the screen anyway. :D

That's possible too. :D

Of course if your close enough for Bluetooth to work you should also be close enough that, if the app does rely on internet, you can just get in and use the screen anyway. :D

Shhhh, no, you have to factor in the amount of light, relative humidity, angle of the sun, etc etc etc to understand the relay time between your phone, the tower-to-tower connection, the landline backhaul, the satellite uplink and downlink, and back down the reverse path to the phone.

I can tell we're all antsy and getting bored in here. I'm surprised this conversation hasn't taken a turn where someone is out measuring BLE frequencies with an oscilloscope.

(but if West Coast owners don't get cars soon, we just might see it....)

• Funny
Reactions: dsvick
  1. Even with an LTE Apple Watch you still need an iPhone. The Apple Watch is not designed (yet) to be a standalone device. Once the app has been loaded on the watch then it should work without having a connection to the phone (assuming the new LTE version), but I haven’t seen any proof of ...
Apple Watch 3 comes in two versions, WiFi only and WiFi plus cellular.

Apple Watch
The one with cellular still needs the iPhone to download apps and do updates. Otherwise it operates independently from an iPhone.

The only problem comes in pairing Apple Watch 3 to our cars. Some have succeeded, others not.