Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone Distracted Driver on Autopilot Slams into Firetruck

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another inflammatory headline. These are getting old. The headline should read "driver slams into fire truck" !! If you run into something that you can clearly see out your windshield as a driver it's your fault doesn't matter what kind of car you have doesn't matter if it's autonimous doesn't matter if it's the moon buggy or or if it's made out of unobtainium and runs on dilithium crystals. Doesn't matter!! if the vehicle has manual controls that are functioning prior to impact.. it's your fault.!!

It's bizarre, you would think that would be the easiest and first thing they could do. Pretty sure Volvos do it.

Radar is great at detecting the speed of objects it sees, but it gets a lot of 'zero' reports from everything around the road that isn't moving, so it pretty much has to ignore things it only ever detects as stationary or you'd be getting the brakes slammed on all the time.

Lidar and machine vision systems are much better suited to that sort of work...

• Informative
Reactions: NerdUno and 1208
Radar is great at detecting the speed of objects it sees, but it gets a lot of 'zero' reports from everything around the road that isn't moving, so it pretty much has to ignore things it only ever detects as stationary or you'd be getting the brakes slammed on all the time.

Lidar and machine vision systems are much better suited to that sort of work...
Thank you. That is why I said I suspect even Volvo’s or any cars can detect stationary objects without getting a lot of false alarms which is a bigger problem.

And in other news, there were an estimated 14,000 car accidents resulting in about 400 car fires in the past 24 hours in the United States. Unofficial counts put the number of dead at 80 people. Asked for a comment the Global Auto Group stated: “Why don’t you focus on some real news? Didn’t an electric car recently have an accident somewhere?”

The US Auto Research Center did release data showing that at least 30 percent of the accidents were in automobiles of foreign origin, with this number possibly being much higher. “This is yet another example of useless data being posted for no good reason at all.” said a spokesperson.

I suspect they don’t either.

Also how can anyone drive AP at 60mph on a back road?
It’s not a back road. It’s a weird half-freeway, half high capacity arterial with stoplights. More and more of the lights have been converted to full interchanges. Three lanes each direction, fully separated. The speed limit is 55 on that section I believe, but it’s not unusual for cars to drive 70+ on it.

• Informative
Reactions: sillydriver
I have experienced first hand that when TACC or AP is engaged it will not stop for a stationary vehicle that it never "saw" moving. Scared the ish out of me when I first got the car and was driving on a local road and came upon a vehicle stopped at a light.

Have to say it looks like another "60mph" crash that is nothing of the sort.
Probably 30-40mph and a testament to the design of the car that the driver survived.

Cause mostly speculation at the moment, notable it didnt catch fire, where I could see high risk of ICE catching fire with that impact.

• Informative
Reactions: dhanson865
AP2 release notes were for local roads. How many local roads don't have red lights?

Tesla's inconsistent messaging creates ambiguity.

Bottom line is people shouldn't use AP unless they are paying attention. End of story.
Part of the problem is that Tesla charges $5k for essentially lane assist which leads people to believe it can do more than it does. I mean who would pay that much for lane assist when it's becoming a standard feature on other cars, right? It must be able to do more than that...

The traffic light makes no difference in this instance. If TACC or AP was in use, it would have slowed and stopped behind the fire truck.

I believe it is unlikely that the driver of the Tesla was using TACC or AP, otherwise the Tesla would have sensed the stationary fire truck and stopped appropriately.

No. And no.

For the 957,000th time, Autopilot/TACC does not detect stopped vehicles that were stopped before they came into radar range.

It never has done this since the day AP was released, still doesn't, and won't for some time.

Anyone saying contrary is wrong, and doesn't have enough experience with AP to know.