Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone key has become flaky?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The issue is it's not working as Tesla said it's supposed to be, with our phones. We should not have to buy Tesla's $150 FOB, a device that is insanely overpriced.

I haven't looked into what goes into the Tesla key fob, so the device may well be "insanely overpriced" when measured by the standards of its component/manufacturing costs; however, $150 is downright cheap compared to what other manufacturers charge. Typically, keyless entry remotes go for $200 and up. This Consumer Reports article (from 2013) notes replacement prices of up to $600. This Edmunds article (from 2019) states that keyless entry remotes similar to Tesla's range from $220 to "over $500." (The article also notes cheaper prices for earlier-tech key versions.) I don't recall the exact prices, but I remember noting the key replacement costs on my previous two cars (a VW Golf and a Chevy Volt) were quite high -- at least $200, and maybe north of $300, IIRC. The CR article, however, also notes that some third parties in 2013 were selling knock-off keys for much less -- the article cites $54 plus $80 for a locksmith to cut the associated physical part of the key. That may have been using an earlier type of technology, though -- at a minimum, the reference to cutting the physical part of the key means the car used a physical ignition switch. Even then, $54 + $80 = $134, which isn't that much cheaper than the $150 that Tesla is charging.

I have the exact same problem, started within the last 2 weeks. Latest version of iOS 13 and car just updated to 36.2.4 and problem still exists. Most of the time I just have to pull my iPhone 8 out of my pocket and the door will unlock. Its a massive pain. I got the car 2 months ago and the phone unlock has been 99% flawless up until a few weeks ago. Now I would say its about 50/50 whether it works or not. I have checked all the permissions, restarted the phone, reloaded the key etc etc. Nothing has helped. After reading the above comments I wonder if its the Tesla app that is the issue?

I have a samsung s8. Phone key has always worked perfectly until now. I am on 36.4.2 and passive entey works on passenger side and trunk but will not work on driver side. In was recently in a car accident that damaged the rear driver side door and quarter panel, but was told the repair should not have affected the passive entry system. Anyone else has had problems with only the driver side?

I'm using an iPhone 11 Pro Max on iOS 13 and 3.10.2 of the Tesla app -- for the entire life of my car, the phone key has been rock solid, maybe failing 2-3 times over the past year. Lately though, and this does not coincide with any iOS or car updates, it hasn't been working well. It requires waking (but not unlocking) the phone to unlock the car. There was a relatively recent Tesla app update, but I can't seem to pinpoint when it stopped working. I've rebooted both the car and the phone to no avail.

Has anyone else recently developed phone-key issues?
iOS 13 started this for me. I’m blaming iOS.

Got 40.2.1 and also iOS 13.3 last night and the problem seems to have subsided without a Tesla app update. I probably should've only done one update at a time to isolate the cause. (though iOS 13.3 beta 4 still had the issue) Hope I didn't just jinx it so it's broken again when I go to my car after work.

I recently deleted the bluetooth profile from the car and the phone and re-connected the phone to the car and seems to have solved my issue (the phone doesn't have to be awake for car to wake up). Who knows if it keeps working though.

I continue to have the problem that when sleeping, the only way I can get my iPhone XS (running most current iOS) to unlock the doors is by unlocking the phone to OPEN the Tesla app. Only wakes/works if activating Tesla app. Not the case if the car is awake. In that state, the car unlocks without me ever touching the phone. Any current thoughts on this? Yes, over the past several months, I tried all the usually fixes... deleting and reading phone, etc. nothing. This all started last last year. Prior to that, the phone key worked perfectly all the time. Same phone, same car. Any “unlock upon approach” fixes, short of buying a fob?

@jebinc I see this on my Android phone, my wife does not so it's a case of YMMV. My phone is older than hers so hoping my next upgrade will sort the car key problem.

@strykeroz - My iPhone is an XS, a newer model, so I’m wondering if it’s something else, like the Tesla app, M3 firmware, number of Bluetooth connections, etc. I’m also hoping someone has a proposed solution or two!