Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone key locks car no problem, But doesn't unlock it as quick

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What am i doing wrong?

When i walk away from the car it locks almost immediately.

When i walk to the car it doesn't unlock. I try the handle a few times before it finally unlocks.

The app is always open in the background but its just not slick enough and its annoying me. sometimes i have had to get my phone out and tap the padlock.

Any advice please? Is this common?

What am i doing wrong?

When i walk to the car it doesn't unlock. I try the handle a few times before it finally unlocks.

The app is always open in the background but its just not slick enough and its annoying me. sometimes i have had to get my phone out and tap the padlock.

I have this myself too on iPhone.

Upvote 0
Have you checked if Background App Refresh has been enabled and also checked for the Tesla app? Having it unchecked might cause the phone to forget about the car after a while. You can find it in Settings>General>Background App Refresh.

Alternatively it could be another Bluetooth device affecting the signal. Have you tried disconnecting all other devices (watch, headphones), or even trying another phone in case it's the car itself?

Upvote 0
The morning wake up is done by Bluetooth conection. Nothing to do with Tesla servers...
exactly so it is likely one of 3 things
Cars BT range is below what it should be
Phones BT range is below what it should be
App is not functioning correctly e.g. being put to sleep.

Should be possible to rule in or out the app but getting the phone out but not unlocking it. if the car then unlocks when you bring the phone close its a range issue. if not and you unlock the phone and open the app and the car then unlocks without needing to use the unlock function then its an app issue.

if you can only unlock manually then that is really really bad range or some other technical issue

this all assumes it is set to unlock automatically. but if its locking when you walk away I guess that is the case.

Upvote 0
My car rarely wakes with the app after a period of inactivity (as short as 15 mins). To send any actions to the car I have to get within Bluetooth range and toggle say the unlock/ lock command. Then close down the app totally and then reopen. It then works as it should. My SC appointment has been moved from 13/12 to 21/12 as I requested a loaner and I’m not too sure if the car will be returned in a day.

Upvote 0
What am i doing wrong?

Do you have your phone in your back pocket? I find that the phone needs to be in a front pocket to be picked up as I approach the car.

Upvote 0
Mine is an iPhone 7+ and all the software settings are as suggested above. Mine will (mostly) not unlock the car unless it is within a few inches of the car. When approaching the boot, if my phone is in the back pocket I have to present my rear to the car 🤣. When approaching the drivers door it wont open unless I take the phone from my back pocket and tap the door pillar or turn and present the rear again...looks like I am trying the door handle and trying to steal from the car - lock very dodgy in a car park!!!😁 Wonder if it due to the fact that the BlueTooth range has degraded on the phone? Any phone technology exerts care to comment?

Upvote 0
Wonder if it due to the fact that the BlueTooth range has degraded on the phone? Any phone technology exerts care to comment?
It shouldn't degrade like that, it is normally binary in its working/not working.

But the unlock is set up to use bluetooth low energy and requires very close proximity as a security feature. If you have a case, try it without just to see how much that is blocking the signal, and try putting the phone in your pocket the other way around (screen facing outwards vs inwards rather than charging port at the top or the bottom) to see if that helps.

Upvote 0