Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone unlock very unreliable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had problems with my phone connecting and disconnecting frequently ftom my Model 3 when I first received it. I tried the fix referenced at Contact sync fix PSA to do with odd characters in contact sync and the problem was fixed. If you have your phone contacts syncing to the car, you can either turn off this feature to see if that maybe the issue or go through and if its is methodically remove odd characters that may be in the first and last name of your contacts.

I was sceptical at first but it worked for me on my old LG G6. No longer have problems with the car opening on approach.

How do you set up NFC for the car?
When I tap the phone my credit card displays. This also happens if I put the phone on the centre console. I use an iPhone

I'm Android. I didn't know about it until I saw it mentioned in a forum post somewhere and tried it and it worked. No setup required. Android may be more flexible with 3rd-party NFC use.

Model 3 is originally designed with key card, not phones, not fobs.
So, it has worked very reliably with key card but people complained that they want to use their cell phones.
Tesla then complied with their wish and wrote the phone app. For free. With no additional charge.
Thats odd. Telsa documentation describes the phone key as the primary means of authentication and the NFC card as a backup. Surely that was by design.

"The phone key facilitates passive entry features as well as traditional remote keyless entry (RKE) features using the Tesla App on the customer's phone. The NFC key card is a secondary means of authentication should the customer's phone not be available or desired to be used, it contains passive hardware that must be presented to the key readers on the vehicle.The 3rd method is remote access... "

Anyway I am using a Samsung S9+ and phone key works reliably for me. Just have to ensure my phone is unlocked.

We had the same issues. My old Asus phone was hopeless & my wife's original Pixel fared a lot better once the Android version was updated. since then, both phones have been updated to Pixel3's & the unlocking / locking has been 99.99%. Older phones don't seem to cut it with the Model 3