Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Photos of modified headlamp performance – amazing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last night I shot nearly more than 100 photos of Evan Patak’s modified headlamps. See this thread for more information.

The brightness of light, the very sharp cutoff, the projection distance, the blue color at the edge of the cutoff angle make this modification exceptional.

A sample of the photos is provided below.

By way of background these are the modifications Evan made to mine:

· Lexus RX 350 Bi-X Projectors: Clear lens swap, tuned for sharpness, white demon eye.

· Morimoto xb55 (50w) Ballasts

· 6500k Morimoto bulbs.

· Finish of the black housing paint (gloss)

· Belly of the turn signal painted black.

· Front of the turn signal frosted.

The improvement in performance are nothing short of astounding, better I think than the new LED headlamps provides with new Model S’s and Model X’s.

As I don’t think the photos due them justice I’ll soon shoot a video of what I see when driving my Model S at night. And yes, they are aimed a bit high. Will fix that this evening.

If you’re willing to lay out the $ I think this is one of the best safety/performance mods you can make. And the black lamps are quite extraordinary – the gives the front of the car a how new look.

DSC_7121.jpg

DSC_7120.jpg

DSC_7098.jpg

DSC_7086.JPG

DSC_7058.jpg

DSC_7027.jpg

DSC_7019.JPG

DSC_7020.JPG

@artsci, how would you rate the difficulty of installation? At the moment I love my S lights as they are better than all my prior vehicles, but my 4Runner had Xenon HIDs aftermarket bulbs (my year already had projector lenses) and it made a huge difference. I could see doing that to the S someday.

@artsci, how would you rate the difficulty of installation? At the moment I love my S lights as they are better than all my prior vehicles, but my 4Runner had Xenon HIDs aftermarket bulbs (my year already had projector lenses) and it made a huge difference. I could see doing that to the S someday.

I had the installation done by a local shop that I use frequently. Cost me $75. It's not that difficult but the bumper has to be removed which I don't like to do.

Reactions: Cyclone
[Resolved, see post below]
Hi everyone. I just want to warn everyone regarding Evan Patek. I purchased my headlights from this guy and for some reason one of the HID lamps on the driver’s side went out within a few months. No problem these things happen, right? Much to my surprise this guy is totally unresponsive and seems to be two faced. This transaction was a total wake up call for me. I have 3 Teslas and as an enthusiast I feel victim thinking that all 3rd party Tesla vendors are good guys. I’m telling you right now, the headlights he provided is nice, but when something goes wrong, in my case within a few months or so, you can kiss goodbuy getting any sympathy from Evan, let alone a simple call back. Make no mistake, this guy is out to get your money and could care less about keeping you happy despite that you might be a Tesla enthusiast. The bad news for Evan is that I’m relentless in my demand for him to make good on his warranty to me even if it takes legal action to enforce my rights. What a big headache.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi everyone. I just want to warn everyone regarding Evan Patek. I purchased my headlights from this guy and for some reason one of the HID lamps on the driver’s side went out within a few months. No problem these things happen, right? Much to my surprise this guy is totally unresponsive and seems to be two faced. This transaction was a total wake up call for me. I have 3 Teslas and as an enthusiast I feel victim thinking that all 3rd party Tesla vendors are good guys. I’m telling you right now, the headlights he provided is nice, but when something goes wrong, in my case within a few months or so, you can kiss goodbuy getting any sympathy from Evan, let alone a simple call back. Make no mistake, this guy is out to get your money and could care less about keeping you happy despite that you might be a Tesla enthusiast. The bad news for Evan is that I’m relentless in my demand for him to make good on his warranty to me even if it takes legal action to enforce my rights. What a big headache.
Well, it's been some time since my post and Evan Patek did call me back and made good on the headlights. Unfortunately, I can't delete my original post. I went to visit Evan and he is a nice guy. Although it took some time which I don't have, to get this resolved, he did come through. The headlights are amazing in the end.