Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pics of 21" Wheels with Coil Suspension?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a coil suspension and am looking to upgrade my 19" wheels. I'm concerned about the fender gap (space between top of tire and bottom of fender lip) if I get 20" or 21" wheels as the air suspension sits lower than the coil suspension (in normal and low settings). And all the 21" wheels pics i've seen obviously have the air suspension...

Anyone have 21" wheels on a coil suspension car and can you please post pics.

tesla.jpg

Now if you do 21s then lower your coils............

lolachampcar, I read through the suspension megathread. If I understand correctly, achieving the look you have here is the result of swapping the coil dampers with the air suspension dampers and using the existing coil springs--is this correct? Are there any major modifications required, or is it a straightforward swap?

I started with P+ (with mandatory air).
Purchase a set of coil damper assemblies (would be much cheaper to buy them off a total as you do not need the dampers themselves and the rest is hard to damage in a wreck)
Pull air suspension, remove air springs and have several lower spring perch c-clip grooves cut by your local machine shop on a lathe using a clip grooving tool (very common operation). I went for three in 1/4" increments.
Disassemble coil units and transfer lower perch, spring, upper perch and all spring isolation bushings to the air dampers.
Put air dampers with coil springs back on the car.
Note that it takes a few weeks for the car to finalize on its ride height. I suggest you start 1/4" higher than where you want to end up.

There are shock dyno plots for coil, standard air and P+ air dampers on the page you referenced.