Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pictures of production Model 3s

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The tires are the same width as RWD.

The lower efficiency is more likely from the combination of increased mass of the 20" wheels, performance tires, and ~180lb (80kg) front motor.

Mentioned in another thread- EPA testing is generally done with base options. Meaning the 18" wheels and all season tires.

Efficiency difference appears to be a combo of the added weight and the fact the front motor is less efficient than the rear.

Reactions: Thomas Edison
Mentioned in another thread- EPA testing is generally done with base options. Meaning the 18" wheels and all season tires.
I thought testing had to be done with what they expect to be the most popular option if it will reduce efficiency. That keeps manifacturers from offering a "base" high efficiency model that they don't actually make available to buyers.

Since the testing was likely done before Tesla split out the Performance Wheel option and I suspect Tesla ran just one test to cover both AWD variants, I suspect all the AWD numbers were done with the 20" performance wheels/tires.

Gotcha. I’m glad they gave the option as I haven’t had one on the last four cars and never had trouble for it.

I live in RI, which is a 2-plate state. And so far, the 12 years I've had my current car, I've run it with no front plate. My wife's car, which she's had for 2 years now also has no front plate. No trouble yet. So there's no way I'll be installing my front plate on my Model 3 when I get it.

Wish more states would become 1-plate states.

--Cintoman

Reactions: JRP3
Okay...

Attachments

• IMG_20180716_190502-EFFECTS.jpg
    IMG_20180716_190502-EFFECTS.jpg
    512 KB · Views: 319
I live in RI, which is a 2-plate state. And so far, the 12 years I've had my current car, I've run it with no front plate. My wife's car, which she's had for 2 years now also has no front plate. No trouble yet. So there's no way I'll be installing my front plate on my Model 3 when I get it.

Wish more states would become 1-plate states.

--Cintoman

i was always wondering about this. does the police not stop you if they notice that you have no front plate?

i was always wondering about this. does the police not stop you if they notice that you have no front plate?

I think some states are far more strict than others. I hear that some people can not get away with this. At least in RI, I've gone by police cars on the side of the road occasionally, and they either never noticed or didn't bother going after me. One thing that might help is that Massachusetts, the next state over, even though they are a 2-plate state, if you still have one of the older green lettering on white background plate (they were around in the 1980's, when MA was a 1-plate state), you can still drive today with 1 plate. So the police might just assume that since I don't have a front plate, I probably still have one of those old plates from MA.

--Cintoman

• Informative
Reactions: PeterK
Status
Not open for further replies.