Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pictures of production Model 3s

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, Photoshopped.
Tesla-Model-3-Event-j28-20.jpg

Thanks for the spot - I guess the only RCs we have seen with the larger wheels is at the SC supercharger...

Concerning body panels, I keep wondering why this trunk line was placed where it was. The pic on the left is unmolested, the right is a photoshop that my OCD wants to be true. Yes, I've been looking at this car way too much.
It is bad design to have two panel joins crossing ... too easy to get wrong at manufacture ... they jogged them on purpose.

This was discussed already way back on the mule days, when another OCD member (although he says it's not OCD, but rather as a design professional) made the same suggestion:

Reason why it's done this way (and not sloppy design):
If it is bad design to have two panel joints crossing, then I wonder why TESLA did this?
DGwSZmLUwAABmxg.jpg large.jpeg

Hmmm, it seems like there are no brackets to mount a roof rack like the MS. Are any current owners planning on a Thule solution of sorts?
Granted, this was on an RC a few months ago, but until there's definitive information one way or the other, there's no reason to believe this wouldn't be possible on production cars.

5zNmEMKinFUaJMffuQ64LqydEcq35hocGSUv5g4Q3_is5jIImZjI8SUFfRHqRoaeTc9-3G2wysK3BwNvkAtdbdpaTsBWCD9VhRIj0DMXspdvkCAmFQJIqYwIMxcLGFEo0ymQaZmRF2U=w871-h653-no

Last edited:
If it is bad design to have two panel joints crossing, then I wonder why TESLA did this?
View attachment 240703
You'll notice that's not actually the corners of 4 panels converging. It's two corners and then the tailight assembly is flat across (appears to be a single unit or can be assembled like one; there is no gap, unlike the S one; someone with access to service manual can verify later).

In the other example you have at least the corners of 3 panels converging even if you don't count the window trim part as separate panel. Basically much higher risk of a big hole in the middle or panels not aligning right.

Last edited:
Reactions: Thomas Edison
Status
Not open for further replies.