Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pictures of production Model 3s

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
vins10-33-jpg.242678

I know why the one on the left looks horrible to you.

Its mirrors are folded in. That car is hideous with those mirrors folded like that.

LOL

The S here is spared from this illusion because the angle of the shot happens to line up with the slope of the roof. That is, it looks more like the S roof slopes back smoothly because the angle suggests it does. The 3, and to some extent the X, also slope back smoothly like the S. We know this because we can actually look at the cars. In this image though, there aren't any depth cues, which gives that smooth sloping surface the appearance of a giant forehead. Also, notice the 3 is the only one shot completely head on. Both the S and X are at an angle, giving us more depth information.
upload_2017-8-29_17-21-32.png

Both Motortrend shots with presumably similar camera settings at pretty much the same angle. Professional photos with well-adjusted, realistic focal lengths. Which car looks better? Obviously the S, since you can't possibly have your budget car compete in looks to your premium car, but let's dig a little deeper.

Model 3 has a giant forehead. It always will because the hood is so small. It's much lower than the S, yet the height is unchanged (+/- .5"). Model 3 is also a hell of a lot more narrow which actually makes the Model 3 hood line appear taller than Model S (look at bottom pics), even when viewed side by side like this! This obviously also exacerbates the tallness of the glass, coupled with the more vertical angle of the sides of the windshield. The actual low hood line means the effect is doubled. it loses out on the sleek, flat, triangular look and opts for a tall, boxy, bubbly look, which makes the car look top-heavy.

Also threw in a bonus image of the 3-series (taken by Motortrend) to demonstrate the quintessential notion of "sporty", "sexy", and "sedan". Looks a lot like the S, huh? Makes the 3 look even more derpy by comparison. It looks like a clown car

View attachment 244556

Both Motortrend shots with presumably similar camera settings at pretty much the same angle. Professional photos with well-adjusted, realistic focal lengths. Which car looks better? Obviously the S, since you can't possibly have your budget car compete in looks to your premium car, but let's dig a little deeper.
Well, perhaps it's a matter of opinion, but I don't think the S looks any better from this angle. The BMW looks alright, again, because that little bit of metal roof cues our brains into the fact that we're seeing a gently sloping windshield and not a big flat piece of glass that extends into infinity. Not that this is a big deal, because the effect is an illusion that doesn't extend to the real world.

The lower hood, on the other hand, is one of the 3's best features in my opinion. Remember, the most important viewing angle of a car is the one from the driver's seat.

View attachment 244556

Model 3 has a giant forehead. It always will because the hood is so small. It's much lower than the S, yet the height is unchanged (+/- .5"). Model 3 is also a hell of a lot more narrow which actually makes the Model 3 hood line appear taller than Model S (look at bottom pics), even when viewed side by side like this! This obviously also exacerbates the tallness of the glass, coupled with the more vertical angle of the sides of the windshield. The actual low hood line means the effect is doubled. it loses out on the sleek, flat, triangular look and opts for a tall, boxy, bubbly look, which makes the car look top-heavy.

Also threw in a bonus image of the 3-series (taken by Motortrend) to demonstrate the quintessential notion of "sporty", "sexy", and "sedan". Looks a lot like the S, huh? Makes the 3 look even more derpy by comparison. It looks like a clown car
It looks damn sexy in this picture. The forehead as you call it looks pretty flat to me. Also taken by Motortrend.
Tesla-Model-3-front-end-in-motion.jpg

I've never understood why the car magazines (and companies) take a "rat's" view of the car. No human (adult) gets that look unless lying flat on the road. Why not present realistic human height pictures ?

Well, perhaps it's a matter of opinion, but I don't think the S looks any better from this angle. The BMW looks alright, again, because that little bit of metal roof cues our brains into the fact that we're seeing a gently sloping windshield and not a big flat piece of glass that extends into infinity. Not that this is a big deal, because the effect is an illusion that doesn't extend to the real world.

The lower hood, on the other hand, is one of the 3's best features in my opinion. Remember, the most important viewing angle of a car is the one from the driver's seat.
I love how the Model S looks too, but the one thing I can't stand is the rear window view from the inside. Seriously you can't see anything. I would have much rather they made the roof line taller so I can get some more visibility.
upload_2017-8-29_15-37-24.png

View attachment 244556

I've never understood the fascination with a high waistline and windows you can't see out of. The front windscreen of the S is fine, but visibility out the rear window is the thing I hate most about my Model S.

Edit: I see somebody else beat me to it. Bottom line, I think the Model 3 looks fine, and agree with the tradeoffs they made. To think they deliberately tried to make it look worse than the S is just stupid.

View attachment 244556

I'll take being able to see the road better over someone opinion that the hood is too small.

Reactions: gene
@eisbock what is your point? The Model 3 is a revolutionary, evolutionary car of the future. If you don't like it, don't buy one. Complaining on TMC is not going to make Tesla change the design, especially when they have ~500K reservations. Do you think you are going to make me change my mind? What is it you are trying to accomplish?

Well sure, but now about if we include the Tesla Roadster in such a photo.
My point is that it's all about perspective. If you look at the Model 3 by itself it's a great looking car. If you compare it to other vehicles you can say that certain part is too high or too small. But you can do that with any car.

If people want to nitpick dimensions it can be said that the Model S is way too wide. When you see it in person it's much wider than most sedans. Whether that's a good look or not is subjective. But objectively it becomes a problem when you try to fit into tight parking spot. I for one am glad the Model 3 is a narrower car. It will be much easier to fit it in a compact parking spot.

View attachment 244556

Your photos don't appear to be apples to apples. If you look at the headrests, comparing front vs back, you'll notice significantly different perspectives between your model 3 photo and your model S photo. This leads me to believe that the photos are taken with different focal length lenses leading to different perspectives.

Status
Not open for further replies.