Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pictures of production Model 3s

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably the same as in the S and X, it's not in the mirrors and only shows in the picture in the instrument console, or center screen for the 3. I don't see them making that change although I believe pretty much all other manufacturers either put it in the mirror or lower A-pillar area.
Doesn't sound very safe. I'm supposed to look at the center screen before moving left or right?

Loophole will be closed in 2019. Very strange loophole, IMHO.

Yeah, and CHP (and the related people like traffic courts) wasn't even really worried about people like Jobs. There's probably only a handful of people who bothered to exploit the loophole like him. But the 6 month thing allowed so many people to escape paying registration for quite a while cuz you could never tell if a car was just bought or not. 6 months is just way too long of a leeway, even with the delay DMV has for getting out a plate to you.

• Informative
Reactions: GoTslaGo
Doesn't sound very safe. I'm supposed to look at the center screen before moving left or right?
I agree, not arguing the safety aspect, just assuming that is how it will be as that is how it is on the S and X. But those have the instrument cluster in front of the driver. As the left half of the screen on the 3 shows the autopilot and lane markings, I presume that is where it would show anything in the blind spots. One could argue that should be in the peripheral vision of the driver so as to not deliberately have to look at the screen.

I would say you should look at your mirrors or over your shoulder before changing lanes regardless. But I've never had a car with blind spot detection, so never had any indicator to look at regardless of where it is located. :p

Re: blind spot detection
I'm sure people think this is a nit. My current vehicle has nothing, so I just do this old-school today- look in mirrors (and the little wide-angle mirror that I glued in the corner). It's just as I come to terms that my M3 is ~$60K, the idea of having something in/near the mirrors seems like a very smart safety feature that I would benefit from and one might think you would find on a high-tech car like a Tesla. Some might argue that the M3 was designed to drive itself, but I'm not holding my breath for that being anytime soon PLUS the vast majority of M3's sold will NOT be sold with FSD enabled. /nit

I do this in my S..seems very normal now and makes it hard to drive any other cars without the blind spot camera.

I check mirrors, left and right and the camera for rear corners. Pretty much never look over my shoulder in the S anymore. It is much harder to see blind spots (in the S) by looking over a shoulder. camera covers what you can't see in the mirrors or directly left and right, where I believe you should always know if there is a car directly left or right of you at all times
the camera is very invaluable!

Reactions: Vern Padgett
I don't know what the t-shirt forum is. But unless it was shots taken in the wild as it passed by, it's not the same car. Here's an official comment from his very sick wife (who I think he might have poisoned so she couldn't take the car, but that's whole other discussion):

"Yeah, um you might as well let the rabid fans know before they start chewing off limbs that there will be no VIN, measurements, hamster count or otherwise being shared at this time. Official comment is he f*g loves it."
Sorry! The pics will have to suffice. Since delivery was just taken, it's nice evidence that production is producing cars. :)
Bonnie, you have been more than gracious. Let the limb chewing commence, so long as none of it is around you or your friend or his wife! And, I hope for her good recovery.

Reactions: bonnie
Does CA not issue temporary tags on new cars? I'm just asking because every photo in this thread of Model 3s without their license plates on just have the paper "Zero emissions" tag on the back of the car. Here in NJ when you buy a car the dealership puts a temporary license plate tag on that's usually good for about 2 or 3 weeks while they wait for the permanent license plates to come in.
Government sucks worse than raw eggs. If they ever do send the plates, they send them after about 3 months, which is the timeout (or at least it was the last time I read the documents), so all sorts of problems ensue in the meanwhile. Government sucks! Yes, that's in California.

I wonder why it is different in New Jersey.

I saw VIN '196 parked in downtown San Jose this afternoon. Aero wheels, and the headliner seemed to be alcantra. Sorry about the photos, but I hope it's better than nothing.

hCirBykAzitAC3zq5x1gNAwcWQFWjRKx0Astt_L24gBRQ9aQpzm_MQXL0Z5PopjzqscSEKNIBYyaBSHRYTDAyeXivkO3tj8oP37-2iV9gYSXWqvkTI2RUZfATlRGg1B3VwlyrH6XhtoCs7niRbWU4U_EN1n9xWJQjM-70upWwFXIoljURPMV8IIpl2faam02co5zqOsYOqjLWe9q_ARD9YNUCZHYXPtMOh-PGuW-IccMk5PXbFn8TKtNGEBmk0Hqpx8Y-Fq2GUNlMgKdtAjiq7GInZA3gV6esQtqDwFOR-BY9UA-mE8vm1_zBtHLSTTnalDa5JIgl8wtwCU9B2kFYUneUrSMt9gOBYuS36ftNZjFUXp1rBAU1Zql2-Q7tiD2ADsPJ9ne3Oy_N8doLF_bbN9Uq3fnYk6Ve7aSdNEwj-C9o2kg7KJMRiEAqtmAKb3TeEMpYosv-tJT3XRQbejfNa9UojMwnUgagGYOxmY2N5BKqXmB3j_9pLtQ9NMfGpcwyCX98LAImsv6d3Gqae2d_SuXZD_fGfwpn7KEFymCVN65lV1cjp5vTleJhyuvxSQCmhx_FxOXJFQTEqeEaRFYWNH43jGgFBCx2-pVDPevv5ccVsJrMrR4NI3J9jbbOuZUHz7eNNP66-q9fy0cxyILifsN3Auag5FLeFbOb8Hea_A68l0=w1248-h702-no

Government sucks worse than raw eggs. If they ever do send the plates, they send them after about 3 months, which is the timeout (or at least it was the last time I read the documents), so all sorts of problems ensue in the meanwhile. Government sucks! Yes, that's in California.
Lots of things suck I guess but I picked up my X on Aug 15 and got plates in the mail about 20 days later postmarked from Tesla in Buena Park (yes, that's in Calif).
In my experience, when I don't drop by AAA and leave with a set of plates & tags, 3 weeks is pretty typical. I suspect many of the new Model 3 owners have or will soon have plates but just aren't in any hurry to bolt them on. Maybe I'll do mine this weekend.

From what I've read, it is cheaper for Tesla to do a glass roof — as they now have on all the Model S cars — because it allows better access for robots to drop seats and other interior equipment into the open roof car. The glass roof then goes on afterward. FWIW.
I guess that's just another reason for me to not get another Model S to replace my current P90D when the lease is up.

pdq

Status
Not open for further replies.