Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pirelli Winter Sottozero Serie II tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know what specs these have? 245\45 r19 102 I guess, hopefully not runfalt? Does anyone know the energyratings? I see som sottozeroes has E on fuel, which is bad, and som has C which is okay. The nokian hakka r2 has B, but the wet road conditions are som abysmal (F) that I`m not sure if I want them. The price is also about 1300 USD more for nokian.

Does anyone know what specs these have? 245\45 r19 102 I guess, hopefully not runfalt? Does anyone know the energyratings? I see som sottozeroes has E on fuel, which is bad, and som has C which is okay. The nokian hakka r2 has B, but the wet road conditions are som abysmal (F) that I`m not sure if I want them. The price is also about 1300 USD more for nokian.

Pirelli Winter SottoZero series 2 245/45r19 102V Not Runflat C-label on energy, C-label on wet braking I think these are good winter tires.

Nokian tires are the best if you drive mostly on snow in winter times.

goal with Winter tires is improved cold weather traction

The Canadians said no to the Pirellis. Yes to the Nokians. I agree with them.

I don't live in Canada. Snow, although always a threat, is a non-issue. Snow plows get 99% of a big storm removed in less than 4 hours. The bad old days of days and days of snow remaining on the roads no longer exist in Wisconsin. That was 30 years ago and times have changed. Snow plows get out early and often. My goal with Winter tires is improved cold weather traction. If there is a day with a lot of snow that the plows can't handle in 4 hours, I just don't go anywhere, as I can wait until the streets are plowed. This is especially true of a RWD car like the MS with tons and tons of power. The MS, even with snow tires, will still be problematic in the heavy snow of unplowed roads. Traction on a snow free road in December when the temp is 15 degrees F is a big issue. When it is 0 F in January, even more of an issue with a snow free road. Traction in non-existent snow, not so much. I don't like the rumbling of snow focused tread on snow free roads. Ruins the quiet serenity of my MS with tire tread noise generated by snow tires when I rarely have snow covered roads to contend with when I drive. I just have bone chilling cold from Canada to contend with (thanks Canada! :) )

- - - Updated - - -

Nokian tires are the best if you drive mostly on snow in winter times.

Exactly.

I don't live in Canada. Snow, although always a threat, is a non-issue. Snow plows get 99% of a big storm removed in less than 4 hours. The bad old days of days and days of snow remaining on the roads no longer exist in Wisconsin. That was 30 years ago and times have changed. Snow plows get out early and often. My goal with Winter tires is improved cold weather traction. If there is a day with a lot of snow that the plows can't handle in 4 hours, I just don't go anywhere, as I can wait until the streets are plowed. This is especially true of a RWD car like the MS with tons and tons of power. The MS, even with snow tires, will still be problematic in the heavy snow of unplowed roads. Traction on a snow free road in December when the temp is 15 degrees F is a big issue. When it is 0 F in January, even more of an issue with a snow free road. Traction in non-existent snow, not so much. I don't like the rumbling of snow focused tread on snow free roads. Ruins the quiet serenity of my MS with tire tread noise generated by snow tires when I rarely have snow covered roads to contend with when I drive. I just have bone chilling cold from Canada to contend with (thanks Canada! :) )

- - - Updated - - -

Exactly.

Well put. I share your position. What tire would you then recommend for your situation? I've had good experiences with Dunlop Wintersport 3Ds but those are not available at tirerack until late November. I was therefore looking at the new Bridgestone Blizzak LM-32s. Or, were you thinking all-season tires?

dedicated winter tires as insurance

Well put. I share your position. What tire would you then recommend for your situation? I've had good experiences with Dunlop Wintersport 3Ds but those are not available at tirerack until late November. I was therefore looking at the new Bridgestone Blizzak LM-32s. Or, were you thinking all-season tires?

I am going with the Pirelli Winter SottoZero series 2. Reasons why? They have been around for awhile. They are Porsche approved (I trust Porsche engineering, the folks drive cars that can go 185 miles per hour) and the folks at TM suggests using them.

All season tires? Not on a high performance MS during Winter. I need soft winter rubber that grips the asphalt with it's inherent "grippiness" when it is 0 F in January. All seasons are too much of a compromise in both warm and cold weather. Braking, cornering, acceleration (and regen??) really suffer with all seasons in cold weather. With a 100 K (USD) MS, I cannot afford even one fender bender. I cannot think of a single reason to go cheap and use all season tires. Smash the aluminum body and my poor MS will spend some time getting fixed. Not worth any amount of money "saved" from running all year on all seasons. Go cheap with tires, pay later when I slide into a curb taking a corner, or another car when braking hard, or off a road when doing some spirited driving on a sunny cold day.

I think of dedicated winter tires as insurance. I save by never paying a deductible and any avoiding an increase in auto rates by not having an accident. The winter tires pay for themselves.

I want my MS to have plenty of acceleration and regen during the icy days of Winter. What fun is to have a high performance car in January when the traction control kicks in all the time? :)

I don't have to deal with snow covered roads very often so I put Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3's on my S. Performance oriented winter tire, low rolling resistance too. Highly rated by consumer reports...

You'd recommend those over Nokian R2s and the Pirellis then if you only see light snow and occasional ice? Thanks.

I have the Pirellis winter tire and will be putting them on very early like October, to just go through them, and changed them for real winter tires come December 15th.

If your winter definition actually involves snow, not just some cold, then get the Nokian. The Pirellis are no good in heavy snow.
If you drive mostly on cold asphalt, they will do a good job, but a few inches of snow and you might not move much ...

For true snow and ice performance does anybody think there is a better choice than the Nokian R2s? I do need to drive in bad weather and have always used Nokians with good results. New to the MS so looking for advice but was leaning towards the R2s. Thanks!