Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid 21” rear tire woes - factory defect?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While English may not be my first and/or primary language… reading it isn’t difficult.

I suppose mine, on FSD Beta, must be some magical vehicle that does things that tesla vehicles do? 🤷🏿‍♂️
You have a Model X. This is a Model S forum.

Try it again with a Model S, Plaid specifically per the thread title.

& neither one of the model X's come with 21" wheels to top it off.

They are completely different, not sure why he is even commenting in this thread.
Yea 22s are odd.
Air suspension and alignment settings, def different.
Software, sure. I’ll give you that my fault for confusing this thread for another that complains of the same problem. S and X forums here, just fix your toe and try it for a few thousand miles. Worst case, what you have to go back and realign, best case you have no magical tire wear?

Complaining of tire wear while having toe settings that allow and encourage this to happen is silly. That’s all. It’s no different than someone complaining they can’t plug in the car when it’s locked. unlock and plug in. No big deal. :)

Yea 22s are odd.
Air suspension and alignment settings, def different.
Software, sure. I’ll give you that my fault for confusing this thread for another that complains of the same problem. S and X forums here, just fix your toe and try it for a few thousand miles. Worst case, what you have to go back and realign, best case you have no magical tire wear?

Complaining of tire wear while having toe settings that allow and encourage this to happen is silly. That’s all. It’s no different than someone complaining they can’t plug in the car when it’s locked. unlock and plug in. No big deal. :)
I don't have uneven tire wear and my car has been aligned multiple times. However, I am still losing air rapidly from both my rear tires. I'm pretty sure they are delaminating internally.

Reactions: buckets0fun
Have you posted your alignment sheets?
Here's the most recent one.
1692628282524.png

I don't have excessive inner tire wear. Both of my rear tires are losing air, though. 2-4 psi per day.
So you can't see any visual wear on the outside of the tire, but you're sure there's delamination on the inside (which isn't the issue we're discussing here)?

That's kind of an interesting assumption to make. When are you getting the tires replaced? I'd love to see a photo of the inside & see if the inside corners are shedding rubber from being driven (even a few miles) when the pressure was too low, and if that is the cause.

So you can't see any visual wear on the outside of the tire, but you're sure there's delamination on the inside (which isn't the issue we're discussing here)?

That's kind of an interesting assumption to make. When are you getting the tires replaced? I'd love to see a photo of the inside & see if the inside corners are shedding rubber from being driven (even a few miles) when the pressure was too low, and if that is the cause.
I've been religious about keeping them above 40 psi. I have an alert set in Tessie and a battery powered pump in the trunk. They've never been below 39 psi.

I have no idea what the inside will look like. I'm guessing delamination based on what others have said.

Unless I have nails in both rear tires... I guess that's a possibility too. Or loose tpms sensors.

Reactions: mcvaughan
I've been religious about keeping them above 40 psi. I have an alert set in Tessie and a battery powered pump in the trunk. They've never been below 39 psi.

I have no idea what the inside will look like. I'm guessing delamination based on what others have said.

Unless I have nails in both rear tires... I guess that's a possibility too. Or loose tpms sensors.
I would go with more than likely punctures or loose/damaged valve stems if there's no visible excessive wear.

I was losing air in my 2021 MS Plaid. I did a visual inspection and it appeared that the rears had plenty of life left. I was on a 700 mile road trip and got the warning that I was losing air very fast and to pull over. Of course this was at night when everything is closed. Had to be towed to a nearby service center, thankfully only 30 mins away. Then slept in the car until they opened. By the time I got towed it was 2am, no point in checking in to a hotel for about 4 hours by the time I uber'd another 30-40 mins since the service center opened at 7am. Thankfully they had a tire. I checked my other tire and visually appeared okay, but you have to look from the inside of the tire wall as it is easy to miss the crazy wear on the edge only.

Replaced the 2nd one yesterday (Tesla service center even told my other tire was perfectly fine and didn't need replacing). Going for alignment tomorrow, and will order one of those Amazon alignment checkers to keep an eye on things. It is just terrible to replace tires that still have so much life in them :(

Attachments

• Teslatirewear.png
    Teslatirewear.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 83
I was losing air in my 2021 MS Plaid. I did a visual inspection and it appeared that the rears had plenty of life left. I was on a 700 mile road trip and got the warning that I was losing air very fast and to pull over. Of course this was at night when everything is closed. Had to be towed to a nearby service center, thankfully only 30 mins away. Then slept in the car until they opened. By the time I got towed it was 2am, no point in checking in to a hotel for about 4 hours by the time I uber'd another 30-40 mins since the service center opened at 7am. Thankfully they had a tire. I checked my other tire and visually appeared okay, but you have to look from the inside of the tire wall as it is easy to miss the crazy wear on the edge only.

Replaced the 2nd one yesterday (Tesla service center even told my other tire was perfectly fine and didn't need replacing). Going for alignment tomorrow, and will order one of those Amazon alignment checkers to keep an eye on things. It is just terrible to replace tires that still have so much life in them :(
Wow, that doesn't look like excessive wear on the inside edge. Looks almost like a gash. But, hopefully it can be warrantied.

Too much negative toe. I don’t think your year has any adjustment on the toe arms so you’d have to install aftermarket toe arms. Would pay off quickly as the return on investment pays off quick with such expensive tires that don’t last many miles.