Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid 21” rear tire woes - factory defect?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's probably the most expensive fix possible for the vibration. When I got the track pack brakes, it all went away. The car was smoother at all speeds and the 38-42 vibration seems to be totally gone. Another forum member reported the same thing.

The smoother aspect all around is noticeable. Brakes feel smoother, acceleration feels smoother and just rolling down the road feels smoother. Which would normally be a great thing but I couldn't find any acoustic PS4S tiress for my 20" wheels when I ordered. The noise at certain speeds from them is driving me crazy. It is worse from 20-50 mph than once I am at 70-80 mph.
You had the macboost shims installed, right? I just had it done at a reputable shop and they installed it on driver side only, bringing the rear camber (approximately) from -1.8 to -1.4 on the driver side, -1.9 to -1.6 on the passenger side. He said installing the other one would bring down the passenger side much lower than the driver side. Followed up with an alignment and the car drives fine. These are the numbers in medium height. Thoughts on if I should just get the other one installed? (this is open anyone here to chime in, @Sam1 ). This time I was going to go into service mode and put the suspension in low so he can tweak the alignment further.

You had the macboost shims installed, right? I just had it done at a reputable shop and they installed it on driver side only, bringing the rear camber (approximately) from -1.8 to -1.4 on the driver side, -1.9 to -1.6 on the passenger side. He said installing the other one would bring down the passenger side much lower than the driver side. Followed up with an alignment and the car drives fine. These are the numbers in medium height. Thoughts on if I should just get the other one installed? (this is open anyone here to chime in, @Sam1 ). This time I was going to go into service mode and put the suspension in low so he can tweak the alignment further.
In low your camber would be greater than -2 degrees as is. This is where camber arms would allow you complete adjustability.

Any alignment should be preformed in the height you normally will drive in.

No need to go into service mode. Just put the suspension in the height you normally drive in once on the rack.

Reactions: Sam1
Something isn't right. The Macsboost shims should take about about 1 degree (0.8 degrees) of camber per Macsboost. This should easily get you where you need to be. A small difference in camber (less than 1/2 degree) isn't going to be noticeable between each side. In low, the negative camber will be worse.

Reactions: Sam1
Do we have any data points on people running 305/30/21 tires..I assume this will still fit but with a slightly beefier sidewall height and might help a bit with the inner edge wear? If you don't want to mess with adding shims.

Reading through and saw this post mention some people going 305s:

I have run through a set of 305/30/21 goodyear f1's and had no problem at all.

But that's also because I was smart enough to install camber arms and have a proper alignment.

Here's my factory rear T2 tire with 6000 miles. It looks uniform all the way around. It doesn't look unusual compared to the outer edge. What do you guys think

IMG-2103.jpg

Reactions: xEvoLveDx and Sam1
Here's my factory rear T2 tire with 6000 miles. It looks uniform all the way around. It doesn't look unusual compared to the outer edge. What do you guys think

View attachment 983370
Is this a Plaid or a Long Range MS?

Tire looks surprisingly good, but how does the sidewall to tread interface look?

The failures tend to occur there.

Also, how's the other rear tire?

Would be curious to know how your alignment compares to the average MS Plaid as well, but you're looking good so far.

Is this a Plaid or a Long Range MS?

Tire looks surprisingly good, but how does the sidewall to tread interface look?

The failures tend to occur there.

Also, how's the other rear tire?

Would be curious to know how your alignment compares to the average MS Plaid as well, but you're looking good so far.
Plaid. Was also on links at -4.2.

Unfortunately i had to replace the other rear due to a nail around 5000 miles but it also looked ok. I simply do not at see anything unusual on the tires but perhaps the miles just aren’t enough yet.

I think I did stupid mistake.
On 10k miles rear tires started delaminated. I went to tesla SC and was talk 12months warranty in case of replacement. Paid for alignment + rear tires to tesla.
So, 12 months passed... same issue on rear right at 11k miles. Now, I'm reading that warranty excludes tires explicitly. *sugar*, my advisor mislead me. I'd never by tires without warranty...
Fight with tesla ? I'm not comfortable buy tires each year.

"
  1. Exclusions
    This Tesla Parts, Body & Paint Limited Warranty does not cover:
    • Parts not purchased directly from Tesla; and,
    • Non-Tesla Parts including tires.
"

On 10k miles rear tires started delaminated. I went to tesla SC and was talk 12months warranty in case of replacement. Paid for alignment + rear tires to tesla.
So, 12 months passed... same issue on rear right at 11k miles. Now, I'm reading that warranty excludes tires explicitly. *sugar*, my advisor mislead me. I'd never by tires without warranty...

"
  1. Exclusions
"

The issue is that you let Tesla do your alignment. Take it to a local performance shop and let them do it in the low setting.

Reactions: cleverscreenam
Does anyone have a recommendation for a shop in NorCal sunnyvale/fremont or sacramento / roseville area that is familiar with installing the macsboost spacers and alignment for this problem? I tried to take it to an alignment shop who seemed very uncomfortable and unfamiliar with the problem.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a shop in NorCal sunnyvale/fremont or sacramento / roseville area that is familiar with installing the macsboost spacers and alignment for this problem? I tried to take it to an alignment shop who seemed very uncomfortable and unfamiliar with the problem.

Custom Alignment in Mountain View. I ship my TireRack orders to them and had them install my N2itive camber and toe arms.

Reactions: cleverscreenam

"
  1. Exclusions
"
FWIW, regardless of who installed those REPLACEMENT tires (Tesla in this case?), those tires should be covered under the Michelin warranty, just as if you had them installed at Discount Tire (which would have been a better choice, BTW).

You should still pursue a warranty claim with Michelin and see what develops--you can do that at DT and via Michelin's website IIRC. In our case, Michelin DID step up and replace the OEM tires with our only expense being the token cost to install and balance at DT.

So far, so good, on the replacement tires, but it's only been a few thousand miles so far--time, and miles, will tell . . . .

Reactions: dev_lvl80
It looks like I am now in the same boat, at 11,742 miles.
EDIT: Just noticed you already did all these things! Good on you!

I'd be surprised if Tesla does anything--please let us know if they step up and replace them at no cost, or just try to sell you a new set of rear tires as if they "wore out."

I've had mixed success at Discount Tire; consider also filing a Michelin claim there too if there is one near by.

File a warranty claim at Michelin's website; get new tires at their expense.

Eventually, they'll fix the problem . . . .

Also, for safety reasons, please visit the NHTSA.GOV site and file a safety defect input there. Hopefully they'll do something to get these tires off the market before someone gets hurt.

Reactions: Propofoln