Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid brake issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I want racing recently in my s plaid for the first time, speed ventures, AAA raceway fontana ca. After first lap brakes started to fade and got worse as they heated up, these brakes SUCK, anybody with same issue and anybody who have improved there brakes?
Thanks
Peter
9FB391D2-DBCC-48BB-8188-C2DFC57A1036.png

Well for a car with almost double the HP and instant EV torque it will definitely make up for the weak braking in the straights of the track for sure. So many reviews on the Plaid show that the brakes needs to applied way earlier than other cars bc of the high speeds it gets up to and the fact that the brakes get cooked after a few heavy stops. Bigger better brakes are needed to fix that.

I don't track my S bc its not a perf and I get brake fade after one or two high speed stops, but keep in mind I own a pre-refresh with the old front brakes. I have tracked my RS7 with stock CCBs no problem, heck even beat on them and I had 0 brake fade. There's a reason why the Plaid that set the EV track record at the Nurburgring had CCBs and not the stock brakes.

Don't know if its still on the Tesla parts catalogue but Tesla had listed a 20" tire size with 305 section width tires for the refreshed S which would point to a possible track package. Plus why would they run CCBs on the Nurburgring lap record then? According to Out of Spec reviews the brakes aren't even suitable for spirited mountain driving.

Didn't the M3P come out with a sort of track package too (don't remember the exact name) that had different brake pads, brake fluid, and lighter wheels?

I am not arguing the Plaid needs better brakes for day to day use but if they are going to release a track mode for it, I don't think the current brakes would hold up after a few corners.

The Plaid had standard stock steel brakes. You RS7 didn't carry anywhere near the speed that the Plaid can hit.

Upvote 0
My point proven, my slower car needs bigger brakes to perform on a track, why wouldn't the way faster car (Plaid) not need them too? Regen can only do much when you're stopping from speeds above 200kmh constantly

The stock brakes work fine on the street and designed with that intend and they do their work fine. The Plaid + was supposed to be a track car capable car.

If you want to take to track buy carbon ceramic rotors and better pads... problem solved.

Upvote 0
The stock brakes work fine on the street and designed with that intend and they do their work fine. The Plaid + was supposed to be a track car capable car.

If you want to take to track buy carbon ceramic rotors and better pads... problem solved.
I am not arguing the Plaid needs better brakes for day to day use but if they are going to release a track mode for it, I don't think the current brakes would hold up after a few corners.
Exactly as I said...

Reactions: juanmedina
Upvote 0
I think they would easily hold up to a 20 minute track session in stock form and good track mode SW.
hey it worked for the record Nuremberg run.
Seeing that some owners and reviewers are already complaining about poor braking performance I am a bit skeptical of track mode being the complete fix for this, but hey we are talking about Tesla here. They literally built a 9.4s 1/4mile sedan just as other automakers were catching up to the pervious gen perfromance models. Who knows time will tell

Reactions: Duke846
Upvote 0
Track Mode ----To improve the stability of the vehicle under high speed driving - Nothing to do with the deceleration.
Track Pack ---- Brake and suspension hardware upgrade to make the vehicle more resistant to brake fading (deficiency) under repeated high speed stoppings.

They are two different things, no mix up, and no one here should purposely talk in a way to mislead the community - Especially in Tesla here where relatively few people track their cars with little or no tracing experience comparing to other communities.

A vehicle's kinetic energy, during deceleration, is transformed into "heat" (thermal energy), without regard to its design, rotor/pad size, efficiency.

Therefore a larger (rotor/pad) & better designed (more efficient) brake system would have a larger thermal capacity (heat sink) and can "absorb" more heat, and "dissipate" heat faster so this vehicle can run at a lower braking temperature vs. the one running with a smaller brake and less efficient system at higher temperature which can quickly lead to brake failure.

For the same kinetic energy (1/2MV^2) ie same vehicle mass and speed; Brake (size & system) = Braking temperature.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well for a car with almost double the HP and instant EV torque it will definitely make up for the weak braking in the straights of the track for sure. So many reviews on the Plaid show that the brakes needs to applied way earlier than other cars bc of the high speeds it gets up to and the fact that the brakes get cooked after a few heavy stops. Bigger better brakes are needed to fix that.

I don't track my S bc its not a perf and I get brake fade after one or two high speed stops, but keep in mind I own a pre-refresh with the old front brakes. I have tracked my RS7 with stock CCBs no problem, heck even beat on them and I had 0 brake fade. There's a reason why the Plaid that set the EV track record at the Nurburgring had CCBs and not the stock brakes.

Don't know if its still on the Tesla parts catalogue but Tesla had listed a 20" tire size with 305 section width tires for the refreshed S which would point to a possible track package. Plus why would they run CCBs on the Nurburgring lap record then? According to Out of Spec reviews the brakes aren't even suitable for spirited mountain driving.

Didn't the M3P come out with a sort of track package too (don't remember the exact name) that had different brake pads, brake fluid, and lighter wheels?

This forum certainly needs more healthy, unbiased, and quality posts like this one - Providing an overall view on what a Plaid owner should be looking at "based on their own needs" and why.

Anyone deserves to express his opinion but NO ONE should attempt to use it whether it's a "true experience" or "fabricated story" to override or mislead on others in this community. Especially for a vehicle not only is too heavy but so fast that can be considered as a moving bomb if a driver (no or little track experience) is misled.

Rather than using "TRUST ME", let's "TRUST NUMBERS" because the number don't lie. And learn how to respect others opinion and post responsibly - Remember this is a forum not your classroom.

The forum Admin is being informed to watch for any misleading/unsubstantiated posts.

Warren-RB

Upvote 0
This forum certainly needs more healthy, unbiased, and quality posts like this one - Providing an overall view on what a Plaid owner should be looking at "based on their own needs" and why.

Anyone deserves to express his opinion but NO ONE should attempt to use it whether it's a "true experience" or "fabricated story" to override or mislead on others in this community. Especially for a vehicle not only is too heavy but so fast that can be considered as a moving bomb if a driver (no or little track experience) is misled.

Rather than using "TRUST ME", let's "TRUST NUMBERS" because the number don't lie. And learn how to respect others opinion and post responsibly - Remember this is a forum not your classroom.

The forum Admin is being informed to watch for any misleading/unsubstantiated posts.

Warren-RB

seems somebody forgot to tell then it’s to heavy.
Does this look like oem stability control?

Reactions: buckets0fun
Upvote 0
Track Mode ----To improve the stability of the vehicle under high speed driving - Nothing to do with the deceleration.
Track Pack ---- Brake and suspension hardware upgrade to make the vehicle more resistant to brake fading (deficiency) under repeated high speed stoppings.

They are two different things, no mix up, and no one here should purposely talk in a way to mislead the community - Especially in Tesla here where relatively few people track their cars with little or no tracing experience comparing to other communities.
Wouldn’t track mode also allow for heavier regen to alleviate some brake issues? We also have 3 motors so in theory our regen could become much stronger than the 3 performance track mode - which I though also increase regen.

Also took my plaid to a track and the brakes gave me the overheat after about 10 min of hard braking.

Thx

Reactions: Texas
Upvote 0
Wouldn’t track mode also allow for heavier regen to alleviate some brake issues? We also have 3 motors so in theory our regen could become much stronger than the 3 performance track mode - which I though also increase regen.

Also took my plaid to a track and the brakes gave me the overheat after about 10 min of hard braking.

Thx
Did you ruin your brake pads?
heard it’s easy to do in one session.

Upvote 0