Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid center console light turns off when fully opened?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@jebinc said his did not behave that way, and that if that front tray is half covered his light goes out. I haven’t visually confirmed this myself, but maybe he can post a video to show functionality.

Not really bothered, but fully expect my new car to be borked, as it’s quite clear Tesla has muddled this installation for a good few months now…

*sugar*! I didn't even know there was a light for the little tray. That one isn't working on mine at all.

I assumed it was bad software, but I guess it could be entirely controlled by simple switches.

Well, I'll save a link to that video and show the tech how it should work...

Reactions: impastu
@jebinc said his did not behave that way, and that if that front tray is half covered his light goes out. I haven’t visually confirmed this myself, but maybe he can post a video to show functionality.

Not really bothered, but fully expect my new car to be borked, as it’s quite clear Tesla has muddled this installation for a good few months now…

Here you go.

Reactions: WilliamG
Can’t really tell what’s going on there. Can you take a video in the evening like mine? From the outside so you can see the light going on and off? 😬

I believe it’s working as you say it is, but still for consistency between our two videos…
As another data point, my original (6/21 build) console worked exactly like your video. After replacement the lower lights were only on when closed. Now that is is fixed it works exactly like my original and your video.

• Helpful
Reactions: WilliamG and jebinc

I just saw this post. I'd be pretty surprised if the light goes off in the upper tray when the top cover is half closed. It would certainly be the best possible function though. @jebinc is this true with yours?

Can you post a video like mine, showing from the outside that tray light turning off with the cover halfway? Seems odd to me that yours would appear to have an EXTRA trigger (i.e., not reversed, but just an actual trigger at all).

In fact I’m pretty convinced that’s incorrect and your phone is just not exposing correctly. Easy to check, of course, but I’m 99% sure yours behaves like mine and the coin tray light is not affected by the sliding lid at all.

Prove me wrong!

Reactions: Bull
Can you post a video like mine, showing from the outside that tray light turning off with the cover halfway? Seems odd to me that yours would appear to have an EXTRA trigger (i.e., not reversed, but just an actual trigger at all).

In fact I’m pretty convinced that’s incorrect and your phone is just not exposing correctly. Easy to check, of course, but I’m 99% sure yours behaves like mine and the coin tray light is not affected by the sliding lid at all.

Prove me wrong!
Since I half believe you, I will later on. The first video in the daylight might show the phone screen going off or other digital camera artifact.

Since I half believe you, I will later on. The first video in the daylight might show the phone screen going off or other digital camera artifact.

Test complete. In the dark I checked it and @WilliamG was correct. The light does indeed stay on. So, is this normal? What is the abnormal condition? No light in the big cubby when open, but light in the big cubby when 100% closed?

Test complete. In the dark I checked it and @WilliamG was correct. The light does indeed stay on. So, is this normal? What is the abnormal condition? No light in the big cubby when open, but light in the big cubby when 100% closed?
Yes. That is the normal condition.

No light in the big bottom cubby (calling @Bill Price ) when open and light on when 100% closed is abnormal.

Updated today. Going to check.
Because I have no clue what is right and wrong any more, here is various test that I could think of and my opinion. Probably missed a configuration.

Top cover - fully closed - large cubby light on. Video inside shows light still on. This is clearly wrong.
Top cover - half open - large cubby light on. I think this is right?
Top cover - fully open - large cubby light off. I think this is right?
Top cover and “coin tray” - both half way - large cubby light on, coin tray light off. I think this is right?
Cup holder and coin tray - both opened - top lid fully open - large cubby off, coin tray on. I think this is right?
Cup holder and coin tray - both opened - top lid halfway - light on. This is clearly wrong. It should be off
Cup holder and coin tray - both opened - top lid closed - light off; as soon as you open the top lid it trips back on. I think this is right?

So. Some things are fixed. Some are not. I bet people who got it previously "fixed" are all jacked up.

Last edited:
Because I have no clue what is right and wrong any more, here is various test that I could think of and my opinion. Probably missed a configuration.

Top cover - fully closed - large cubby light on. Video inside shows light still on. This is clearly wrong.
Top cover - half open - large cubby light on. I think this is right?
Top cover - fully open - large cubby light off. I think this is right?
Top cover and “coin tray” - both half way - large cubby light on, coin tray light off. I think this is right?
Cup holder and coin tray - both opened - top lid fully open - large cubby off, coin tray on. I think this is right?
Cup holder and coin tray - both opened - top lid halfway - light on. This is clearly wrong. It should be off
Cup holder and coin tray - both opened - top lid closed - light off; as soon as you open the top lid it trips back on. I think this is right?

So. Some things are fixed. Some are not. I bet people who got it previously "fixed" are all jacked up.

Reposted, but...this is the guide for how it should be:

• Informative
Reactions: impastu