Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid center console light turns off when fully opened?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Because I have no clue what is right and wrong any more, here is various test that I could think of and my opinion. Probably missed a configuration.

Top cover - fully closed - large cubby light on. Video inside shows light still on. This is clearly wrong.
Top cover - half open - large cubby light on. I think this is right?
Top cover - fully open - large cubby light off. I think this is right?
Top cover and “coin tray” - both half way - large cubby light on, coin tray light off. I think this is right?
Cup holder and coin tray - both opened - top lid fully open - large cubby off, coin tray on. I think this is right?
Cup holder and coin tray - both opened - top lid halfway - light on. This is clearly wrong. It should be off
Cup holder and coin tray - both opened - top lid closed - light off; as soon as you open the top lid it trips back on. I think this is right?

So. Some things are fixed. Some are not. I bet people who got it previously "fixed" are all jacked up.
You forgot about the combinations listed but with glove box open :p

Jokes aside, I think the consensus here is that big drawer light should be on when top lid is open or partially open.

My car was in service for 2 weeks for this (I owned car for 3 weeks so far) they replaced entire center console and gave me back the car. Exact same problem!!!! They then shrugged shoulders and said oh well I guess that’s how it is and asked me to take it home… said there is no way to fix it.

The mobile service guy was here for 5 hours today. Nice guy, knowledgeable, Tesla veteran, but he had never dealt with the problem himself before. He removed the console, stripped it down a little, replaced a couple of switches, put it back in, it still didn't work, took it back out again, did a lot of testing, put it back in again, and it still didn't work. He's coming back tomorrow!

The mobile service guy was here for 5 hours today. Nice guy, knowledgeable, Tesla veteran, but he had never dealt with the problem himself before. He removed the console, stripped it down a little, replaced a couple of switches, put it back in, it still didn't work, took it back out again, did a lot of testing, put it back in again, and it still didn't work. He's coming back tomorrow!
See my earlier post about the three switches. One is more difficult to access and requires pulling out the entire console. My tech had some success when experimenting with reversing the physical orientation of some or all of the switches…it was like feeling his way in the dark.

Reactions: cwanja
Also check my earlier post where the tech who fixed it had to figure out that one of the switches activates when released as opposed to when pushed.

Reposted, but...this is the guide for how it should be:

Thank you so much!!! It was driving me crazy that the light never went off. I took it in and they said if the lights burn out they will replace it. But to figure out how to turn off was a mystery. Until now!! Glad i looked here. I have a 2021 plaid 1800 miles so far love the car best car i ever owned

He texted me this morning and said that he has to order some parts and postponed his visit until April 15th. He order the part labeled "9" in this diagram.

Last edited: