Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid center console light turns off when fully opened?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did you get an update since delivery? My car arrived with 2021.36.5.1. Tech tried to flip the connections after extracting the console to no avail, thus it is possible this LED is controlled by a control unit. I suspect an update could fix this issue through a deep reset

Update:
- updated firmware to 2021.36.8.9, no fix
- SC removed console and investigated with the electricals, no fix, instead scratched the leather
- SC replaced top portion of center console, no fix, instead scratched the carbon fiber trim and magnetic closing on the armrest no longer work

Good grief. Any pics of the damage? I'd be on their butts pretty sharpish about this...

Mine also has this issue. Both with delivery firmware and the recent update. Order details in signature. I'm not going to bring it in, it's clear it takes a LOT of disassembly to fix it, and no one has confirmed it's a wiring problem vs software problem.

Maybe I’m slow but I’m having trouble following the verbal description of what issues others are having so I attached a picture of my particular issue. Shouldn’t the light be off in this case?

Attachments

• FA22FD4B-2851-40D1-AD5A-115B39CF1CC2.jpeg
    FA22FD4B-2851-40D1-AD5A-115B39CF1CC2.jpeg
    383.5 KB · Views: 139
Good grief. Any pics of the damage? I'd be on their butts pretty sharpish about this...
1. They replaced upper portion of the center console, and had scratches on the polymer coat
1640106873297.png

2. They scratched the leather next to wireless charging docks

3. They removed paint during door alignment, and paint was chipped all the way down to e-coat. They paid for repaint, but the repair is still visible, with more noticeable orange-ish glow from mid-coat

1640106951784.png

4. They broke the screen protector, which I installed specifically to prevent them scratching the screen

Maybe I’m slow but I’m having trouble following the verbal description of what issues others are having so I attached a picture of my particular issue. Shouldn’t the light be off in this case?

I think it should be like the following
Lid modeDefective switchProper switch
Fully closedLights onLights off
Half openedLights onLights on
Fully openedLights offLights on

I don’t think my deep cubby lights even work. The shallow one also seems to always stay on so who knows.
Does it even turn on if you have the lid half-opened?

I was told the LED are wired to 12v battery. Now the LED are very low powered, but what happens if 12v runs out of juice?

1. They replaced upper portion of the center console, and had scratches on the polymer coat
View attachment 746689

3. They removed paint during door alignment, and paint was chipped all the way down to e-coat. They paid for repaint, but the repair is still visible, with more noticeable orange-ish glow from mid-coat

View attachment 746690

4. They broke the screen protector, which I installed specifically to prevent them scratching the screen

I was told the LED are wired to 12v battery. Now the LED are very low powered, but what happens if 12v runs out of juice?
I’ll check tonight for you. Good chart.

Ju
View attachment 746689

View attachment 746690

Just checked, mines reversed. Closed light on open light off.

This one minor mistake in the electrical wiring costs 10 hour of employee time and 3 hour of customer time, so far
Yes. In additon Tesla has been made aware of the issue and can take steps to prevent it happening again in the future. This is standard practice with Tesla. They push the envelope to continue to introduce advancements in their vehicles. Usually things work out well, but when something goes amis, they have feedback systems to learn and inprove.

Assuming it’s wiring is a risk imo. You guys are going to be pissed when they release an update to “fix” this which re-reverses the wiring
Please do.

So far my car has been through the following, and none have resolved the problem
1. Removed center console and tech "messed" with the wiring
2. Replaced top portion of the center console (portion with carbon fiber trim and sliding lids)

They requested 3 more days for diagnosis, which I declined.

Reactions: jm404