Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid center console light turns off when fully opened?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Know this has been a year+ issue now, with people getting mixed results when they take it to service centres (either replies on “that’s how it should be”, or a coin flip on whether it gets fixed or not).

For the people who got newer 2022/2023 builds, are you bottom compartment center console lights wired correctly so it lights up when the drawer is open now?

I’ve been waiting until Tesla gets some consistency in their builds for this matter, before trying with my SC.

Thanks!
We also have an August, 2022, MS LR build and that one appears to operate as it should: light out when the lid is closed, but only after a few seconds.

Oddly, that suggests it might be software controlled, vs. just a dumb switch?

Our older Palladium MS's still have the issue and we can't wait for a permanent fix; will take them back in now that it's a new year in the hope that someone at Tesla finally found a way to fix this irritating and exasperating issue. It's been far, far too long for them to say that "Tesla Engineering is looking into it."

Perhaps now that there are nearly 1,000 MS's sitting in inventory Tesla will begin to pay more attention to customer pain points? We can only hope . . . .

Last edited:
Reactions: aerodyne
We also have an August, 2022, MS LR build and that one appears to operate as it should: light out when the lid is closed, but only after a few seconds.

Oddly, that suggests it might be software controlled, vs. just a dumb switch?

Our older Palladium MS's still have the issue and can't wait for a permanent fix; will take them back in now that it's a new year in the hope that someone at Tesla finally found a way to fix this exasperating issue.

I've had the console replaced and they finally fixed it. It took three times, but they got it right eventually. It would have been two times, but the second console was damaged during the installation.

When you say replace whole thing, what does that include? Including the rear screen and all the trims / cubbies?

Question is better directed to @n2mb_racing

However, doubt the center console replacement includes the rear screen, however, greater than zero chance SvC will have to remove it and might damage it in the process, potentially giving you a new, larger rear screen.

Reactions: Caliboi707

However, doubt the center console replacement includes the rear screen, however, greater than zero chance SvC will have to remove it and might damage it in the process, potentially giving you a new, larger rear screen.

@leonwu I don't know exactly what they replaced, though it seemed to include the base of the console, cup holders, interior cubby, etc. They didn't just replace the lid on mine. Actually, I can just include the service invoice screenshot below. Somehow included a new charger and new keys.

1673312795368.png

Reactions: leonwu

@leonwu I don't know exactly what they replaced, though it seemed to include the base of the console, cup holders, interior cubby, etc. They didn't just replace the lid on mine. Actually, I can just include the service invoice screenshot below. Somehow included a new charger and new keys.

View attachment 894072

When my Feb 2022 MSLR had its console replaced a few months ago it included a new rear screen. The console was replaced as one part with no subparts removed.
I posted here Plaid center console light turns off when fully opened?
I don’t really care as much about the rear screen as I never use it - in fact, I’m hoping that’s not an excuse they use for not fixing my cubby lights. They can replace it or fix current and save me trouble of re-wrapping the centre console.

I am just worried I go in, they have no clue how to fix it but try, and then break a drawer or two, or something else, in the process and I’ll be left with a damaged console plus no fix. Trying to gauge if it’s a widely known issue / fix yet or not.

View attachment 894072
Would you possibly have the service of the replacement console when they actually replaced it for the light issue? I think the two you shared are the subsequent ones after they broke the prior one.

Thanks again in advance. Booked an appointment for Friday, fingers crossed.

May need to visit my SC once again to complain about this. When I did complain back in February of 22 they checked another new car they had and since it worked the same way it was "normal" behaviour therefor nothing was done.

I had the same issue. Same time too, 2/22. They checked their Plaid on the floor and said “works as intended.”

Seems to be fixed on the fall builds. Lights work correctly on my May build.

I'd not accept the car if there are any major defects you can't live with.
My January, 2022 has the issue, and there have been multiple failed attempts to fix it - including new console, rewiring of the switches, etc.
My buddy got his Plaid a few months before me (i think November, 2021), has the issue.
Another buddy got his LR a few months earlier, like August or September, 21 and didn't have the issue
It's not HORRIBLE, it's just annoying.

Reactions: Bull
My January, 2022 has the issue, and there have been multiple failed attempts to fix it - including new console, rewiring of the switches, etc.
My buddy got his Plaid a few months before me (i think November, 2021), has the issue.
Another buddy got his LR a few months earlier, like August or September, 21 and didn't have the issue
It's not HORRIBLE, it's just annoying.
Try again. They finally have new consoles in the supply chain that are manufactured correctly.

That’s actually an interesting comment, I’ve never thought of that. I guess since our switches are reversed, the lights would always be open if my lid is closed, even when parked?

Try the new remote dog mode and see if you can observe with your phone.

I suspect all lights power down when the car goes to sleep, and dog mode will keep it awake, so perhaps that's not the best way.

Reactions: mcirish