Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid owners - Tired of Plaid?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Nevera is faster and quicker than the Plaid. Facts.

If one pulls up next to you give him/her thumbs up. Nevera is faster.

Last year I had a 720S pull up next to us on the highway I was on my ZL1 1LE A10 with stock 650 hp.

I said no thanks and give him thumbs up. I wasn’t winning that race. Someone will be faster than you sometimes. Just ask Felipe Massa.

The Lucid Air P cost 40k more than the Plaid and is a new company that can go under at any second. When Lucid hits volume production we can talk about their quality. The Lucid Air P has 450 miles of range with 113 kWh battery pack 3.98 kWh per mile and the Plaid at 396 miles with 100kWh so 3.96kWh per mile so the same thing and the Plaid comes with wider tires.

The comparison to the Nevera is just silly. Let me know where I can buy another 9.2 seconds for 130k...the Taycan Turbo S starts at 186k can't even run 9 seconds and with half the range. 1020hp for 130k with a warranty is cheap IMO.
You completely missed the point of my post. For production cars that will be used for everyday driving 0-60 doesn’t really matter. The majority of everyday driving is done at 75mph or below and in stop & go traffic. I’d rather have a car that is well built than a car that can go 0-60 in <2 seconds, with an *.
The comparison to the Nevera is not silly, it’s just not something Tesla fanboys like to see. Again, it would be nice to see Tesla start worrying about quality and customer service rather than being the fastest. In the real world I could race anyone from point A to point B on my 120hp motorcycle and beat any car because of traffic. The real world is not 1/4 mile at a time.

You completely missed the point of my post. For production cars that will be used for everyday driving 0-60 doesn’t really matter. The majority of everyday driving is done at 75mph or below and in stop & go traffic. I’d rather have a car that is well built than a car that can go 0-60 in <2 seconds, with an *.
The comparison to the Nevera is not silly, it’s just not something Tesla fanboys like to see. Again, it would be nice to see Tesla start worrying about quality and customer service rather than being the fastest. In the real world I could race anyone from point A to point B on my 120hp motorcycle and beat any car because of traffic. The real world is not 1/4 mile at a time.
Then you've kind of answered your own question. If acceleration is not important to you, then there's ZERO point in purchasing the Plaid version. What you get for $45,000 is.......quicker acceleration. That's it. Nothing more. Oh wait, sorry, you also get the $89.00 rear spoiler for free. Still have to pay $4,500 to upgrade the wheels to 21's if you want them. $45,000 gets you quicker acceleration....period. Identical exterior and interior, aside from the fact that it makes carbon fiber dash trim an option, which can also easily be added to any car after purchase.

Also, keep in mind, the Long Range version is exactly what the original P90D was. It has the original "Insane" mode. All the youtube reaction videos back in the day were made with "Insane Mode", which provided about 3.1 0-60 times and shocked the heck out of every passenger. The Long Range version gets you the same 3.1 0-60 acceleration, FAR faster than almost any other car on the planet, puts $45,000 in your pocket, AND gets you more range. So, go from the quickest EV on the road to the second quickest EV on the road and you actually get more than you do for the Plaid version.

Tesla is going to change their website to quickest production car under 2.4M 🤣 .

What a ridiculous and silly comparison. Tesla has nothing to worry they have orders for months. If for everyday use people are not worry about 0-60mph get a honda civic and call it a day.

OP I have seen some LR owners upgrading to the Plaid, go big or go home. A McLaren 765LT which comparable to the Plaid on straight line you got it drop $2k every 3k miles or so to get it service.

Last edited:
if you can afford a plaid, I would wait to at least SIT IN and try a lucid.

both are way beyond what I could afford. but lucid has something to prove and they will be in a sweet spot for a few years at least. tesla: well, we all know what kind of service you get.

I'd wait.

Identical exterior and interior, aside from the fact that it makes carbon fiber dash trim an option, which can also easily be added to any car after purchase.
Minor things here but the perforated bolsters and stitching are different on the Plaid as well. It doesn't look cheap or easy to add the carbon fiber trim to the LR... there is a thread on here somewhere showing the cost and one of the items requires you purchase the entire rear back/armrest.

If acceleration is not important to you, then there's ZERO point in purchasing the Plaid version. What you get for $45,000 is.......quicker acceleration. That's it. Nothing more.
FYI - the Plaid is far from just a difference in acceleration with the 3 motor setup and carbon-sleeved rotors. The Plaid has torque vectoring and that is an absolute game changer in terms of performance/handling characteristics and will result is much faster lap times. This setup would improve handling and traction in most situations, not just for road course/track racing. Also, it was a 40k difference back when I ordered mine... they keep changing prices. Is the 40k difference worth it? Obviously that is subjective but it is much more than just acceleration.

if you can afford a plaid, I would wait to at least SIT IN and try a lucid.

both are way beyond what I could afford. but lucid has something to prove and they will be in a sweet spot for a few years at least. tesla: well, we all know what kind of service you get.

I'd wait.
When you can afford a Plaid you don't need to wait. You can just sell the Plaid and get the Lucid when it comes out, or get both. Either works.

My 2019 100D is the fastest car I have ever driven and when I punch it, I sometimes get queasy. I'm pretty certain I would need to wear dark pants if I ever get to experience a plaid launch.

Aside from the knowledge that you are driving what is currently the fastest sedan in the world, how fast do you really need to go on a regular basis?

Reactions: KyleDay
My 2019 100D is the fastest car I have ever driven and when I punch it, I sometimes get queasy. I'm pretty certain I would need to wear dark pants if I ever get to experience a plaid launch.

Aside from the knowledge that you are driving what is currently the fastest sedan in the world, how fast do you really need to go on a regular basis?
I've had lots of fast cars including a 911 Turbo, several turbocharged BMWs, a Supercharged Mustang with fully built motor, a Tesla MS P100DL and a Tesla M3P among others. The P100DL was the fastest by far with a 0-60 of 2.4 seconds. When the lease was up, I decided I didn't need another one at the time. I ordered an M3P instead for about 1/3 of what I paid for the P100DL.

The M3P is plenty fast. I have never had a situation where it wasn't. I ordered the Plaid because it is so much faster than even the P100DL, and I haven't experienced anything like it. I want to experience it and own it, and I can afford to do so, so I am getting it. Need doesn't really play into the equation.

Very. Next question? 😬

• Funny
Reactions: Bull and AquaY
one thing I've found with just my 'lowly regular single motor m3' is that sometimes you can be too fast for your own good, in daily traffic.

cars do not expect you to be 'that fast' and I have to sometimes hold myself back.

when drivers see a car and plan to merge or change lanes or just drive, a certain amount of predictability is there. they know the general range of how soon a car can be in their lane and usually people do consider all this info when they drive.

now enter a car that looks like a sleeper (not a ferrari) and yet its 'there' instantly in a merge. there is a danger aspect to this and I wonder if people have noticed this, if they plan for it (as the 'fast car' driver) and if they have found situations where being too fast worked against them, in a bad way.

I want to use the car's speed but there have been times that the other driver just didn't expect I'd 'be there' so soon and there were some near misses.

having a super super fast car can be a problem when you are around regulars (lol) and you use your superpowers.

just something to consider. personally, I dont think I'd trust myself with a car this fast. I'd want to use it and like I've said, in mixed traffic, that's not a good idea.

Reactions: 365gtb4
one thing I've found with just my 'lowly regular single motor m3' is that sometimes you can be too fast for your own good, in daily traffic.

cars do not expect you to be 'that fast' and I have to sometimes hold myself back.

when drivers see a car and plan to merge or change lanes or just drive, a certain amount of predictability is there. they know the general range of how soon a car can be in their lane and usually people do consider all this info when they drive.

now enter a car that looks like a sleeper (not a ferrari) and yet its 'there' instantly in a merge. there is a danger aspect to this and I wonder if people have noticed this, if they plan for it (as the 'fast car' driver) and if they have found situations where being too fast worked against them, in a bad way.

I want to use the car's speed but there have been times that the other driver just didn't expect I'd 'be there' so soon and there were some near misses.

having a super super fast car can be a problem when you are around regulars (lol) and you use your superpowers.

just something to consider. personally, I dont think I'd trust myself with a car this fast. I'd want to use it and like I've said, in mixed traffic, that's not a good idea.
After 6 years of EV ownership I’ve gotten completely used to this phenomenon and use it to my advantage all the time. ICE cars are so slow they are extremely predictable so if you pay attention it isn’t an issue.

Reactions: foos and headcase

I totally feel this after having a Model 3 Performance, but I have learned to pass people you just do it strategically and it’s fine. I drove this car with a very heavy foot but did it defensively and had no close calls outside of one guy doing a U-Turn into me forcing me to brake but that would have happened in any car.