Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid owners - Tired of Plaid?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's funny to me. The P90D was the most amazing thing on the planet when it was released. It's 0-60 in 3.1 seconds was unheard of. There are thousands of YouTube reaction videos of people going nuts over the way it felt. The new Long Range has the same "Insane Mode" the original P90D did, Yet, is actually better. The P90D got to 60 in the blink of an eye, but then hit a brick wall. The new LR keeps accelerating beyond 60.

I had a P90D and while it was cool to feel that insane acceleration, I NEVER used it other than to demonstrate it to passengers. But, can't imagine that people's reaction wouldn't be the same today. There is clearly no "need" to go any faster on the street. I think Plaid will be a tougher sell as it's just beyond ridiculous how fast it is and 98% of the public will never use it.

For me, the cost is just way too much to justify for just a larger rear motor that accelerates faster. With just about every other car, the "performance models" come with A LOT of extra features and further add value. Even the Model 3. It's only $8,000 and you get several other items with it. $45,000, I mean seriously, that's a lot of friggen money for just a bigger motor to go faster than a car that's already faster than just about any car on the planet. On the street, without a grippy surface, what other car is there that will accelerate to 60 in 3.0 seconds or less?? Even the cars technically capable of it, could never do it on the street. Tires just light up. The Hellcat I think barely gets below 4.0 seconds on the street. The Tesla LR range can repeat 3.0-3.1 all day long and probably in the rain too.

Plus, the Plaid, to get maximum acceleration, you have to wait 15 minutes for the car to prep itself. Who the heck is going to do that? Pull up to a light and someone wants to race, are you going ask them to wait 15 minutes??? LOL. It's closer to 2.2 or 2.3 without Launch Mode or Cheetah mode. Whatever it's called. So, really, other than at the race track, the real world difference is just 7/10ths or so. I just think that for almost everyone, the LR will give the same shocking satisfaction each time you slam the throttle. I'd rather take my $45,000 to Vegas and do a one-hand money play on Black Jack to see if I could double it.

Add that to the fact that I won't blow $10,000 on FSD again and it's actually $55,000 for two things that have no practical use on the streets. If you're one that buys $300,000 to $400,000 exotic cars on a regular basis, then $55,000 is nothing. Go for it. But, for the rest of us, you'll never feel like you're missing out on something by not ponying up for the Plaid. I'll guarantee that you could lie to just about every passenger you have and say you got the best one and with their shock at feeling the 3.1 0-60, they'd believe you. It's still that good!

$55,000. Seriously!. That's more than half the price of a LR Model S. You could get a Model 3 for your wife or kid (or mistress..LOL). For many, that's a hefty down payment for a house. Would send your kid to many colleges. If you happen to buy two Plaids, it would be $110,000. More than the cost to get a 3rd Model S. Or TWO Model 3's. It's just mind baffling money for a larger rear motor that likely doesn't cost Tesla any more than $1,000 over the cost of the smaller motor. Sure, there's value to the development of it and I'm all for Tesla making a profit. But, $55,000 for a rear motor and flip of the FSD switch? Nope, regardless of the fact that I could afford it, I can't in good conscious justify it.

For me, the fact that the Plaid has less range was the he decision maker. Sure it’s not a massive difference, but in real world day to day driving, actual fact be is going to me more impactful than getting to 60 MPH a second faster.

Now if the Plaid had more range and the speed, it would have been a no brainer.

Thank you for all the responses thus far, but you guys aren’t making this decision any easier. Haha
I come from M3, M5 and 911 all in manual transmissions. And you know how slow they are in the real world driving unless you are driving like an idiot. This is going to be my first EV, and I think I’ll be happy either way.
A model 3 would impress you based on that. I’ve owned M3’s, M5’s, and 911’s. All manual transmissions. Tesla EV’s are fantastic performance wise. I’m on my second Model 3 LR and awaiting my MS LR. I can’t say how much better the plaid might be but just coming from prior cars to the Model 3, and soon the MS LR, I’m fairly confident the LR is plenty. That being said, if money is no object get the Plaid; why not?

It’s interesting that it rarely gets mentioned that the LR is 205 lbs. lighter than the Plaid. That’s not an insubstantial difference! Most will rarely use the additional power of the Plaid over the LR in day-to-day driving but you will notice the weight difference on every corner and with every hard stop.

*sugar*. I think I just talked myself out of a Plaid.

It's funny to me. The P90D was the most amazing thing on the planet when it was released. It's 0-60 in 3.1 seconds was unheard of. There are thousands of YouTube reaction videos of people going nuts over the way it felt. The new Long Range has the same "Insane Mode" the original P90D did, Yet, is actually better. The P90D got to 60 in the blink of an eye, but then hit a brick wall. The new LR keeps accelerating beyond 60.

I had a P90D and while it was cool to feel that insane acceleration, I NEVER used it other than to demonstrate it to passengers. But, can't imagine that people's reaction wouldn't be the same today. There is clearly no "need" to go any faster on the street. I think Plaid will be a tougher sell as it's just beyond ridiculous how fast it is and 98% of the public will never use it.

For me, the cost is just way too much to justify for just a larger rear motor that accelerates faster. With just about every other car, the "performance models" come with A LOT of extra features and further add value. Even the Model 3. It's only $8,000 and you get several other items with it. $45,000, I mean seriously, that's a lot of friggen money for just a bigger motor to go faster than a car that's already faster than just about any car on the planet. On the street, without a grippy surface, what other car is there that will accelerate to 60 in 3.0 seconds or less?? Even the cars technically capable of it, could never do it on the street. Tires just light up. The Hellcat I think barely gets below 4.0 seconds on the street. The Tesla LR range can repeat 3.0-3.1 all day long and probably in the rain too.

Plus, the Plaid, to get maximum acceleration, you have to wait 15 minutes for the car to prep itself. Who the heck is going to do that? Pull up to a light and someone wants to race, are you going ask them to wait 15 minutes??? LOL. It's closer to 2.2 or 2.3 without Launch Mode or Cheetah mode. Whatever it's called. So, really, other than at the race track, the real world difference is just 7/10ths or so. I just think that for almost everyone, the LR will give the same shocking satisfaction each time you slam the throttle. I'd rather take my $45,000 to Vegas and do a one-hand money play on Black Jack to see if I could double it.

Add that to the fact that I won't blow $10,000 on FSD again and it's actually $55,000 for two things that have no practical use on the streets. If you're one that buys $300,000 to $400,000 exotic cars on a regular basis, then $55,000 is nothing. Go for it. But, for the rest of us, you'll never feel like you're missing out on something by not ponying up for the Plaid. I'll guarantee that you could lie to just about every passenger you have and say you got the best one and with their shock at feeling the 3.1 0-60, they'd believe you. It's still that good!

$55,000. Seriously!. That's more than half the price of a LR Model S. You could get a Model 3 for your wife or kid (or mistress..LOL). For many, that's a hefty down payment for a house. Would send your kid to many colleges. If you happen to buy two Plaids, it would be $110,000. More than the cost to get a 3rd Model S. Or TWO Model 3's. It's just mind baffling money for a larger rear motor that likely doesn't cost Tesla any more than $1,000 over the cost of the smaller motor. Sure, there's value to the development of it and I'm all for Tesla making a profit. But, $55,000 for a rear motor and flip of the FSD switch? Nope, regardless of the fact that I could afford it, I can't in good conscious justify it.

Without warming the car up or launch mode etc, the Plaid is staggeringly faster than my old Model 3 Performance, which is only a tiny bit slower than the new LR in the 0-60 range. You can talk about 7/10 or whatever, but the difference in person is massive. Is it worth the $? Maybe/maybe not. But the difference is huge.

LOL at all the justification to not do Plaid.

If you can't decide then clearly Plaid isn't for you. It's my first EV and only because of that wild acceleration.

I have a few cars in my garage with one of them being a tuned RS7. It runs [email protected], or roughly what a long range Model S will do. It's zero contest in acceleration.

Those that chase the high HP builds of the likes of say GT-R or R8/Huracan and the other wild V10 cars a $50,000 price tag is nothing for modifications. To go from 10.8 to 9.2 and gain almost 25 MPH in trap speed is a phenomenal deal.

There's just too many here that I feel never played the fast ICE game. 👍

LOL at all the justification to not do Plaid.

If you can't decide then clearly Plaid isn't for you. It's my first EV and only because of that wild acceleration.

I have a few cars in my garage with one of them being a tuned RS7. It runs [email protected], or roughly what a long range Model S will do. It's zero contest in acceleration.

Those that chase the high HP builds of the likes of say GT-R or R8/Huracan and the other wild V10 cars a $50,000 price tag is nothing for modifications. To go from 10.8 to 9.2 and gain almost 25 MPH in trap speed is a phenomenal deal.

There's just too many here that I feel never played the fast ICE game. 👍

Agreed completely. Those who have the LR and never take a ride in a Plaid will believe their car is very quick. And guess what. It is! The LR is a quick car. The Plaid is otherworldly quicker, however. These cars aren't comparable in any way. The discussion on which is "worth it" is ultimately pointless, though. If you want a quick car, get the LR. If you want an obscenely quick car, get the Plaid. There's no right or wrong decision, here. Life is too short. I went Plaid. The end.

Comparing rimac to plaid is like comparing LaFerrarri to a corvette. When you are spending over a million for a car you are buying a hand made super exotic vs a production line car.

A better comparison would be a MB S 560 4MATIC Coupe vs a AMG S 63 Coupe. I bought the S550. The S63 is cooler,faster and I would love it. But I decided the S550 was enough car for my needs and is a really great car.

I just bought my first EV, the Model S LR. Again the plaid is cooler and more special but realistically, the LR hit all my check marks. I am thrilled with it. Great sedan very fast and the tech is bowling me over. The MB has been sitting in the garage since I bought the LR.

again the plaid is faster and more special and really fills the ego needs I used to value more. I would prefer the plaid but am super
Happy with my LR. I love my LR and am really impressed with Tesla as a company.
If Tesla had a customer service division they could rule the world. I would never go through the crazy purchasing and delivery system that Tesla put me through again. I ordered in December of 2020 with a promised delivery of February 2021. I received my car after being bs’d by Tesla several time at EOQ 6/30. It was a frustrating experience for me.

If Tesla had a customer service division they could rule the world. I would never go through the crazy purchasing and delivery system that Tesla put me through again. I ordered in December of 2020 with a promised delivery of February 2021. I received my car after being bs’d by Tesla several time at EOQ 6/30. It was a frustrating experience for me.
This is the part that makes me sad to read. I started with Tesla 9 years ago. Back then, service was INCREDIBLE. White glove service. They really acted like they cared. Was such a nice experience. Sadly, now, once they get their purchase money from you, as an existing customer, rather than a future customer, you become an annoyance to them. Reading the above, makes me wonder if its getting worse? Even after the level of service declined, they still kissed my ass every time I was in the process of buying a new car. It ended abruptly the second I took delivery. Literally. I walked back in with a question before leaving and they gave me the "buzz off" attitude. But reading the above and hearing similar stories from others, possibly new customers are becoming too much a nuisance to them too? Now that viable competition is here with many more just around the corner, I'm looking forward to seeing if Tesla finally turns back in the right direction on this stuff to remain competitive in all areas? Time will tell. I hope so.

Comparing rimac to plaid is like comparing LaFerrarri to a corvette. When you are spending over a million for a car you are buying a hand made super exotic vs a production line car.

A better comparison would be a MB S 560 4MATIC Coupe vs a AMG S 63 Coupe. I bought the S550. The S63 is cooler,faster and I would love it. But I decided the S550 was enough car for my needs and is a really great car.

I just bought my first EV, the Model S LR. Again the plaid is cooler and more special but realistically, the LR hit all my check marks. I am thrilled with it. Great sedan very fast and the tech is bowling me over. The MB has been sitting in the garage since I bought the LR.

again the plaid is faster and more special and really fills the ego needs I used to value more. I would prefer the plaid but am super
Happy with my LR. I love my LR and am really impressed with Tesla as a company.
Not even sure that’s a fair comparison. The price differential is far greater.

You don't understand the engineering effort and the amount of money that is need it to make a 5000lb car run low 9 seconds in the 1/4th. Buy a GTR or Huracan/R8, BMW M4 and see how much money you will spend in modifications to make it run low 9 seconds reliably. I am with you the Plaid only offers more speed but that single fact cost a lot of money and for what Tesla is charging for the Plaid is cheap IMO. The Plaid is not for people making a rational financial decision and if that's what you are trying to use that logic even the LR doesn't make sense. The people that are buying the Plaid is because they want brutal acceleration.

Other similar cars cost even more like the Audi e-tron GT and Taycan Turbo S, are they worth it? They offer less hp, less range, less cargo and cannot even seat 5 people. How about the Lucid Air? 100-50 more miles for $40k more? Is that worth it?

• Love
Reactions: Phlier
It's just mind baffling money for a larger rear motor that likely doesn't cost Tesla any more than $1,000 over the cost of the smaller motor. Sure, there's value to the development of it and I'm all for Tesla making a profit. But, $55,000 for a rear motor and flip of the FSD switch?
The difference from LR to Plaid is not just the rear motor. The entire drivetrain (excluding the battery) is different. Upgraded inverter, motor, higher flow cooling pump. There are body differences, too, like the rear spoiler.

Personally I don’t think the Plaid is worth the extra $50k. You will rarely use the 2.2s 0-60. I used to have a 911 Turbo S and I rarely used the 2.5s 0-60 on that. General you don’t want to be driving around public streets acting like a maniac.

I would only consider a Plaid if they had a lot of other benefits beyond more power. When you looks at cars like the Porsche’s Taycan Turbo S, you also get things like full leather, active anti-roll bars, carbon ceramic brakes, etc for the extra money. Tesla seems to have copied the extra price premium for an Uber-performance model, but skimped on the content beyond the bigger motors.

Reactions: Thepugster
I definitely don't want to get in a Plaid. I would have to unload my P100DL for one after that I would imagine. Ignorance is bliss in this case!!!

Also interesting to see so many others have moved out of high HP ICE cars into performance Teslas. I too sold a ZL1 for my Model S.

Personally I don’t think the Plaid is worth the extra $50k. You will rarely use the 2.2s 0-60. I used to have a 911 Turbo S and I rarely used the 2.5s 0-60 on that. General you don’t want to be driving around public streets acting like a maniac.

I would only consider a Plaid if they had a lot of other benefits beyond more power. When you looks at cars like the Porsche’s Taycan Turbo S, you also get things like full leather, active anti-roll bars, carbon ceramic brakes, etc for the extra money. Tesla seems to have copied the extra price premium for an Uber-performance model, but skimped on the content beyond the bigger motors.
But but….carbon fiber interior option, torque vectoring, piping on the seats AND a nice double-sided tape carbon fiber spoiler!? (Mine is peeling off).

Also it’s only $40k difference. Not $50k. Bargain!

At the end of the day it’s difficult to put a price on this performance. It’s otherworldly, nothing touches the Plaid on the streets at the moment, and I certainly enjoy punching it when I can. The LR is a quick car, but it’s not special enough. It’s just an excellent car in its own right, which for some (many) will be more than enough. If someone asked me if they should buy the LR S or the Plaid S, the decision is always simple: Model Y. It’s the best car Tesla makes.

Reactions: Phlier