Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid owners - Tired of Plaid?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Personally I don’t think the Plaid is worth the extra $50k. You will rarely use the 2.2s 0-60. I used to have a 911 Turbo S and I rarely used the 2.5s 0-60 on that. General you don’t want to be driving around public streets acting like a maniac.

I would only consider a Plaid if they had a lot of other benefits beyond more power. When you looks at cars like the Porsche’s Taycan Turbo S, you also get things like full leather, active anti-roll bars, carbon ceramic brakes, etc for the extra money. Tesla seems to have copied the extra price premium for an Uber-performance model, but skimped on the content beyond the bigger motors.

That monster amount of torque I use every day. I also can find an excuse to open it up at will. Maybe it depends on where you live but in Florida every highway is smooth and wide and all the suburbia streets are 3 to 4 lanes wide open with huge patches between traffic lights. Plenty of room to stretch it's legs a bit.

I definitely don't want to get in a Plaid. I would have to unload my P100DL for one after that I would imagine. Ignorance is bliss in this case!!!

Also interesting to see so many others have moved out of high HP ICE cars into performance Teslas. I too sold a ZL1 for my Model S.

Ignorance is bliss that's very true. Plaid has ruined my two other cars but only in straight line.

My wife loves fast cars (she raced out previous Nissan GT-R at the 1/4mi strip) but she was always afraid to get on it in the RS7. It is very torque heavy (small turbos and a V8) at around 730lb/tq as it stands modded. After she took a hit in the Plaid she goes "I'll never be afraid of the RS7 again." 🤣 She still likes her RS7 because of the V8 snarl and the "older tech" with physical buttons it's a 2018 not the 2021 refresh. She's not on the Plaid bandwagon...yet. Plus being our first EV and a new model refresh the kinks this car has makes my wife happy we kept the RS7. It's rock solid reliable and much better on the fit/finish department.

My personal fun car is a Gen 2 R8 V10 Plus. It is faster than the RS7 (10.5 @ 132 MPH) but it's paltry amount of torque requires the motor to rev up to really feel the oomph. Sort of like a crotch rocket. Since Plaid it feels like a ricer. All sound no go. Told a friend that he just about spit his drink out going I think I heard it all (that I called an R8 a ricer). 😂However, once she's above 6,000 RPMs she pulls, she screams, and it's an aural experience no EV is going to match. Plus she corners way better it's no contest and it's more low slung to the ground.

My point? The ICE cars have their charm and are still impressive and worth keeping (if you can afford to do so). I never got the "oh EV has no soul" from the ICE crowd. I never got the "ICE is ancient and slow and worthless" or whatever mud is slung the other way. Both are cool in their own right. It's not a what's better mentality.

Reactions: tabraha
My point? The ICE cars have their charm and are still impressive and worth keeping (if you can afford to do so). I never got the "oh EV has no soul" from the ICE crowd. I never got the "ICE is ancient and slow and worthless" or whatever mud is slung the other way. Both are cool in their own right. It's not a what's better mentality.

Amen to that. I got rid of the big HP ZL1, but I've still got an air cooled 911 in the garage that is the most visceral car I'll probably ever own. Unfortunately market appreciation is continually taunting me to sell it LOL.

Like you I'm a straight up car guy, not all in on any one thing. One day I feel like a 7000lb Land Cruiser the next a flyweight 911. Other days a 2-second family sedan! :cool:

My wife much preferred the ZL1 to the Model S (for now). We have several cars and bounce around and the Tesla is a bit different to get used to with the decel, one pedal driving etc. The ZL1 was more jump in and go friendly for her. The S is growing on her and with her lead foot I'm sure given enough time they will bond well...

I have driven the plaid for a week now. Is it "worth 142k (including taxes)", Yes. It is for now. Will most of us get bored with it? Yes. Let me pose this question,
How many soccer mom's offroad their range rovers? I bet 99.9% don't. Does that mean they aren't worth it? Apparently it is for them because they are selling luxury SUV's like hotcakes.

For me, i think it's one of the best all around drivers out there. Quite possibly the easiest car I've ever driven. Even with the Yoke.
I have had several exotics and several luxury sports cars. Does this get the looks that they did? Not unless i'm at a supercharger..
But is there any other car out there that will be this fun with 4 people and room for storage? NO. Everyone has their own opinions.

Reactions: Phlier and Paul8810
I have driven the plaid for a week now. Is it "worth 142k (including taxes)", Yes. It is for now. Will most of us get bored with it? Yes. Let me pose this question,
How many soccer mom's offroad their range rovers? I bet 99.9% don't. Does that mean they aren't worth it? Apparently it is for them because they are selling luxury SUV's like hotcakes.

For me, i think it's one of the best all around drivers out there. Quite possibly the easiest car I've ever driven. Even with the Yoke.
I have had several exotics and several luxury sports cars. Does this get the looks that they did? Not unless i'm at a supercharger..
But is there any other car out there that will be this fun with 4 people and room for storage? NO. Everyone has their own opinions.
I bet it’s a nice cat and would be a slight upgrade for me. Except I will never buy one because of the Yoke. That’s sad.

When I got my 3 Performance, the trade off was an extra 8 grand to make the car a ridiculous 3 second to 60 car instead of a relatively boring 5 second to 60 car. To me the value was there. Here not so much.
The percentage difference in time to 60 is what counts. If you bought the upgrade for that difference in feeling from 5 seconds to 3 seconds, about that same “difference” is from 3 to 2 even though it’s only 1 second. Granted the plaid “upgrade” for this difference is much more expensive but this is a much more difficult difference to achieve.

And to go from 2 to 1 is an even bigger difference. (Yes I know the plaid is not 1 second to 60.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Issaction
But but….carbon fiber interior option, torque vectoring, piping on the seats AND a nice double-sided tape carbon fiber spoiler!? (Mine is peeling off).

Also it’s only $40k difference. Not $50k. Bargain!

At the end of the day it’s difficult to put a price on this performance. It’s otherworldly, nothing touches the Plaid on the streets at the moment, and I certainly enjoy punching it when I can. The LR is a quick car, but it’s not special enough. It’s just an excellent car in its own right, which for some (many) will be more than enough. If someone asked me if they should buy the LR S or the Plaid S, the decision is always simple: Model Y. It’s the best car Tesla makes.

Model Y? 326 mi EPA range which is actually much less thanks to its large form factor. It’s storage space is comparable with the S when the seats are down. Give me the 405 mi range any day. Especially when that estimate is closer to the truth than the 326 range is for the Y. I do a lot of road trips. The 79+ mile difference is a LOT and adds up. So I disagree that the Y is the best value Tesla. I believe Model S LR is.

But but….carbon fiber interior option, torque vectoring, piping on the seats AND a nice double-sided tape carbon fiber spoiler!? (Mine is peeling off).

Also it’s only $40k difference. Not $50k. Bargain!

At the end of the day it’s difficult to put a price on this performance. It’s otherworldly, nothing touches the Plaid on the streets at the moment, and I certainly enjoy punching it when I can. The LR is a quick car, but it’s not special enough. It’s just an excellent car in its own right, which for some (many) will be more than enough. If someone asked me if they should buy the LR S or the Plaid S, the decision is always simple: Model Y. It’s the best car Tesla makes.

Model Y? 326 mi EPA range which is actually much less thanks to its large form factor. It’s storage space is comparable with the S when the seats are down. Give me the 405 mi range any day. Especially when that estimate is closer to the truth than the 326 range is for the Y. I do a lot of road trips. The 79+ mile difference is a LOT and adds up. So I disagree that the Y is the best Tesla. I this it’s Plaid, but if money is a consideration, I believe Model S LR is the best value Tesla. Paying extra for a significant range increase is ALWAYS worth it.

Model Y? 326 mi EPA range which is actually much less thanks to its large form factor. It’s storage space is comparable with the S when the seats are down. Give me the 405 mi range any day. Especially when that estimate is closer to the truth than the 326 range is for the Y. I do a lot of road trips. The 79+ mile difference is a LOT and adds up. So I disagree that the Y is the best Tesla. I this it’s Plaid, but if money is a consideration, I believe Model S LR is the best value Tesla. Paying extra for a significant range increase is ALWAYS worth it.

Well we can agree to disagree on all points! 🤣

Range? What's that? 😂

Attachments

• pulls.jpg
    pulls.jpg
    371.7 KB · Views: 87
  • rangeLOL.jpg
    rangeLOL.jpg
    424.4 KB · Views: 57
  • Funny
Reactions: Phlier and WilliamG
I've owned my Plaid for 3 weeks now and I figured nobody would notice it since it looks like every other Model S to the average person. BUT, I was wrong! I can't tell you how many people have stopped me in parking lots and have tried to race me. Everyone wants to see the Yoke first and then ask if I have gone 200 MPH.. From older retired guys to 13 year old teenagers and Soccer Moms asking if their son can look inside. I had a blast keeping a GSX motorcycle behind me on the freeway- The guy couldnt figure out how I was able to blow past him...

So if you care about any of those things, then go with PLAID.. if not, LR is the best Value!

Reactions: JimBob 909
I've owned my Plaid for 3 weeks now and I figured nobody would notice it since it looks like every other Model S to the average person. BUT, I was wrong! I can't tell you how many people have stopped me in parking lots and have tried to race me. Everyone wants to see the Yoke first and then ask if I have gone 200 MPH.. From older retired guys to 13 year old teenagers and Soccer Moms asking if their son can look inside. I had a blast keeping a GSX motorcycle behind me on the freeway- The guy couldnt figure out how I was able to blow past him...

So if you care about any of those things, then go with PLAID.. if not, LR is the best Value!
I have bad news for you... people think every LR is a Plaid - they all have yolks.

I’ve got some input here…

Yes, the Plaid is VERY worth it. If it is not worth it to you, then you do you in a LR, and I’ll do me In a Plaid.

I use the power multiple times daily, and it feels great. I try to use the power in a way that does not piss off other drivers, and it does a good job of flying under the radar In many cases. It’s not as fast and violent as my other street car, but it does what it does on the down low, which makes it more accessible to enjoy on the regular.

BTW, stop calling the Rimac Revera a production car. You cannot get even one yet, maybe get one later this year, and until they deliver at least 25 units to paying customers, it simply does not qualify as a production car. I love how their press release states they “produced the production version”, but steers well clear of mentioning production numbers or deliveries to customers. It’s vapor ware until they sell at least one unit.

• Love
Reactions: Phlier

Car insurance Costs… Tickets, traffic school, loss of work, I care about those things.

TBH, I was holding out for the Roadster, but the Plaid specs started stretching into the amazing numbers the new Roadster was supposed to bring, all in a car that is more practical, and half the cost. I'm sure the Roadster will be great when it is released in two weeks, but honestly I think the Plaid has sufficiently scratched that itch while still allowing me to bring home furniture from Ikea.

Deciding whether it is worth it is obviously personal preference, but performance is a pretty established differentiator among, like, every make of car in this class. No one needs a Taycan Turbo S instead of a Taycan 4S, but they sell because people want the fastererer one. Dodge is still successfully selling people a platform with an early 2000s interior and tech, just by putting bigger, dumber engines in the same car and slapping an $80k price tag on it.

Is a Plaid worth +$50k over an LR if you are shopping for a good value? No.

Now, as to whether it is worth it to me: My average of 441 wh/mi (and climbing) at 4531 miles on the odometer tells me I'm deriving substantial enjoyment from having the fast one. So for me, ya, it is worth it.