Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid S in the wild photos

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That’s why it’s so goofy that there are people in this thread saying the car we’re looking at is 3-4 inches WIDER than the already girthy girl we have now.

That’s Lamborghini Aventador width. More even.
This is precisely why I think we're looking at your run-of-the-mill Model S Plaid test mule. I don't think this has anything to do with a refresh like others have said. That cars are already borderline too wide so I can't imagine they would want ALL of their Model S options to be that wide. It would make sense on something more exotic like the Plaid version though... probably necessary too to cram all of those battery cells in and the wider tires and width for the track times it's after. I just don't see this being every Model S though.

We have the license plate, someone just needs to find a willing police officer, give them a little finders fee, find out where the car resides and go measure it!
It's a manufacturer's plate so it'll come back to Tesla's registered address.

Playing devil's advocate here... The only thing that is a head scratcher for me is why did the guy make all of the effort to do a u-turn & haul butt to chase the car down & then record like 5 seconds of video, take a few photos & then go the opposite way? I woulda gone left to get a better look & at least some shots of the front if it was truly the obvious difference he mentioned.

For someone who knows what they're looking at & how rare it is to see in the wild, has a dozen cameras & an established YouTube channel it seems "odd" the effort they put in for the scoop of the decade.

Playing devil's advocate here... The only thing that is a head scratcher for me is why did the guy make all of the effort to do a u-turn & haul butt to chase the car down & then record like 5 seconds of video, take a few photos & then go the opposite way? I woulda gone left to get a better look & at least some shots of the front if it was truly the obvious difference he mentioned.

For someone who knows what they're looking at & how rare it is to see in the wild, has a dozen cameras & an established YouTube channel it seems "odd" the effort they put in for the scoop of the decade.
Good point.

Also the timing is suspicious. Right after end of quarter push. Seems like an intentional leak.

Don't forget he used to be a Tesla employee, so he knows the inner workings and probably still has some contacts/friends inside...

EqI711NUYAIR98i

Don't forget he used to be a Tesla employee, so he knows the inner workings and probably still has some contacts/friends inside...
Also very suspicious from the youtube video is that he stops posting video / pics when the car is turning left, if he would have continued the video / pics for another second we could see inside to see if there is a landscape screen like the 3.

This is the only speculation I can agree with, my thoughts exactly. And where are all the paparazzis? When Model X/3 first came out, there were spy shots coming out left and right.

Or follow it until a stop light is encountered, get out of the car, walk up and photograph it all inside and outside.

Reactions: Ostrichsak
The original poster has now stated on Twitter that he doesn't believe this is a Plaid vehicle and is potentially a simple external refresh for the Model S (similar to what we saw for Model 3 in September).

I am more comfortable with that opinion, albeit a little disappointed that the external refresh is potentially minimal

The original poster has now stated on Twitter that he doesn't believe this is a Plaid vehicle and is potentially a simple external refresh for the Model S (similar to what we saw for Model 3 in September).

I am more comfortable with that opinion, albeit a little disappointed that the external refresh is potentially minimal
This is also in correlation with Model 3 and Y chrome delete and new rims, headlights, and interior

Furthermore, Model S/X production lines shutting down for 2-3 weeks, could give the new refreshed production line time to come into play :p

Reactions: Saabstory88
Or follow it until a stop light is encountered, get out of the car, walk up and photograph it all inside and outside.

I was thinking of that, and those windows have a pretty darn dark tint on them... but one could get a shot though the windshield to see if a horizontal screen is installed or not.

I also zoomed in on one of the photos and I see double pane glass above the front doors. Anyone else see that? No? Look harder....

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: 46&2
I sure hope there are more changes than a wider body and tires.

Everyone keeps assuming that a refresh is "imminent" and/or this is it. These same people are disappointed that this is all they've changed and it's so subtle it's generating online discussions on if there's even any changes or not.

Think about these pics from another perspective that's also the likely one: It's NOT a Model S refresh. It's the modifications necessary for the Plaid version of the Model S and nothing more. This is also the ONLY confirmed change from Elon himself. No refresh. If you think about it from that likely perspective it makes 100% sense that it's not a drastic departure from the current Model S.

Personally, I love it and will own at least one if this is the case. My biggest fear is that Tesla will Model 3/Y the Model S/X because it means I'll be stuck in a time warp until something else comes along because for me the Model S is the most perfect car ever made. If you tell me that I can get my Model S with the stats of the Plaid that looks slightly more aggressive w/o anything crazy I'm 100% in. The Model S design is timeless.