Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid S in the wild photos

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i think you mean subjectively beautiful car.
No, I really don’t.

lots of good looking cars, current, and past that look great.
Indeed.
rs4 avant would be my 2020 choice.
Very nice to be sure, I’ve a soft spot for S Audis. But I’m not sure “beautiful” would be the first adjective that comes to my mind when describing a muscle station wagon.

model S need a new body refresh. Fortunately Chinese EV cannot sell car in US else Nio et7 design put model S into shame

NIO Reveals Stunning ET7 Flagship Sedan

how nice that the Nio PR department is here. Sorry this car is a lame rip off the beautiful Model S shapes. Maybe back to the drawing board for you to create something outstanding and original?

Certainly agreed. But like I said, to my eye (and this is where the subjective part comes in) nothing else in 2021 is doing it better.

Until the Lucid Air hits the streets in 2021 with better technology and fresher ideas.

I'm happy with how the S looks now, a classic. It does not have to be as "aero" as the Air.

But as the Air moves "downscale" into the current S price point, the S interior and technology will be very dated.

The Model S still looks like a UFO in most of the country. Take one outside CA for even a minute and you can’t stop anywhere without someone commenting.

It’s an objectively beautiful car. A common one in the Bay Area to be sure - but I don’t think “dated” is the right word. I can’t think of a single 4 door sedan available for purchase now that looks better.

It's "new" to most of the country because they haven't been looking at the car for 7yrs like the Bay Area has.

Reactions: 5JMJ and KalJoMoS
There are objective design principles - angles, proportions, surfaces, shapes, etc that essentially create the the hardwired human perception of beauty. They’re taught in design school. The Model S is a study in many of them.

Surely there is a concept of subjective beauty as well, and what most people generally think of in this context, but I stand by my statement.

And the Cyber truck studied and used which principals of beauty?

• Funny
Reactions: sillydriver
I prefer the looks of the S and X headlights. But they need to perform better.

An update to the headlight housings using newer laser-based technology would be cool. It also wouldn't require an massive refresh type overhaul to complete this increase in performance of an important safety feature of the cars. The LED they "upgraded" to for the refresh looks better aesthetically but the performance sucks. Big time. I much prefer our older HID housings to these newer LED headlight housings in terms of usable light output.

The Model S still looks like a UFO in most of the country. Take one outside CA for even a minute and you can’t stop anywhere without someone commenting.

It’s an objectively beautiful car. A common one in the Bay Area to be sure - but I don’t think “dated” is the right word. I can’t think of a single 4 door sedan available for purchase now that looks better.
I agree, the Model S looks stunning, but I think the Taycan looks slightly better especially the side profile and the trunk. I prefer the front of the S however.

I was at a Drive-in movie theater last summer that was hosted by the local Tesla owners club and a Taycan was there parked beside an S and that's when I felt the Taycan looked better. It also has a more aggressive and "higher quality" look to it. I don't how else to explain that.

Last edited:
Reactions: ucmndd
I agree, the Model S looks stunning, but I think the Taycan looks slightly better especially the side profile and the trunk. I prefer the front of the S however.

I was at a Drive-in movie theater last summer that was hosted by the local Tesla owners club and a Taycan was there parked beside an S and that's when I felt the Taycan looked better. It also has a more aggressive and "higher quality" look to it. I don't how else to explain that.
Taycan is a bit of a mixed bag for me, but overall I do like it. Looks great from offset angles and I like the aggressiveness of the front. I think the S could keep a similar profile/greenhouse as it has now with slightly edgier bodywork and front/rear treatments and it would be an overall improvement. I do agree you can “see” the improved quality, detail, and workmanship (as I’d certainly expect at the price).

Taycan is a little awkward to me from the side straight-on. A little too Panamera, which I’ve always thought was a bit of an ugly duckling.

Reactions: SilverGS

Taycan has nicer overall shapes, but just because that was the main focus.
Model S has so much more space and sacrificed a nicer silhouette for that.

I specifically didn't buy a Taycan because it's not made to be the primary car.

Reactions: SilverGS
Taycan has nicer overall shapes, but just because that was the main focus.
Model S has so much more space and sacrificed a nicer silhouette for that.

I specifically didn't buy a Taycan because it's not made to be the primary car.

I compared my '15 MS to a Taicaan 4S in the vid below.

I'll let you draw your own conclusions.

It would be interesting, but unlikely, if the Refresh added any design cues from the Taycan.

plaid.JPG