Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid Vibration around 38-42MPH....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Update after driving more. Tesla replaced my half shafts on 3/1/22, which temporarily fixed the vibration. It started to have a slight vibration again after a few days. I installed the lowering links on 3/7/22. I set them to +5 mm all around. I still haven't measured how high the car is now, but it looks pretty slammed when on the low setting. I can't imagine going much lower and still having enough suspension travel. Also, the camber angle is visibly off, so I imagine I'm wearing the inside of the tires pretty strongly.

The vibration is better, but not gone. It's not very noticeable, unless I am trying to feel for it. It definitely gets worse when I go to the "normal" ride height setting, which from what I gather should be about the same as the previous "low" setting.

So, I wouldn't really recommend lowering the car as a fix to the vibrations. It's more like a band-aid until someone comes up with a better solution. I don't think it was worth the money and effort, unless you want the lowered look as well.
I’m of the same thought process. The car already sits quite low on the low setting without looking slammed. Hopefully @jebinc ’s car is patient 0 for the fix in service at the moment. Not counting on it quite yet, though.

Update after driving more. Tesla replaced my half shafts on 3/1/22, which temporarily fixed the vibration. It started to have a slight vibration again after a few days. I installed the lowering links on 3/7/22. I set them to +5 mm all around. I still haven't measured how high the car is now, but it looks pretty slammed when on the low setting. I can't imagine going much lower and still having enough suspension travel. Also, the camber angle is visibly off, so I imagine I'm wearing the inside of the tires pretty strongly.

The vibration is better, but not gone. It's not very noticeable, unless I am trying to feel for it. It definitely gets worse when I go to the "normal" ride height setting, which from what I gather should be about the same as the previous "low" setting.

So, I wouldn't really recommend lowering the car as a fix to the vibrations. It's more like a band-aid until someone comes up with a better solution. I don't think it was worth the money and effort, unless you want the lowered look as well.
I measured my ride height today on "low" when parked in my garage. Average is very close to 28", but it could have been thrown off by my drivers rear that was quite a bit higher than the others.

@jebinc Does that match what you have measured? My links are set to +5mm.

Height
FrontDrivers
27.75​
Pass
27.875​
RearPass
27.875​
Drivers
28.375​
Average
27.96875​

1647350784399.png

1647350804343.png

1647350819366.png

1647350834882.png

• Informative
Reactions: jebinc
Matches pretty well with this post. This post has +6 mm on the links. Mine are at +5mm and my car seems very slightly higher.

Reactions: jebinc
I measured my ride height today on "low" when parked in my garage. Average is very close to 28", but it could have been thrown off by my drivers rear that was quite a bit higher than the others.

@jebinc Does that match what you have measured? My links are set to +5mm.

Height
FrontDrivers
27.75​
Pass
27.875​
RearPass
27.875​
Drivers
28.375​
Average
27.96875​

View attachment 781214
View attachment 781215
View attachment 781217
View attachment 781218
I was at -4.17mm front and -4.36 rear so not as much of a drop for me. Also less variability than you from left to right.

Someone posted a question on FB asking if anyone else noticed that the latest FSD (10.11) seems to have fixed the vibration issue. I'm still waiting on that version to be pushed to my car but I have doubts it would have fixed it. If it does in fact address the vibration, that should mean the latest non-fsd branch should have the fix as well.

Anyone have the latest FSD or non-FSD care to comment?

Someone posted a question on FB asking if anyone else noticed that the latest FSD (10.11) seems to have fixed the vibration issue. I'm still waiting on that version to be pushed to my car but I have doubts it would have fixed it. If it does in fact address the vibration, that should mean the latest non-fsd branch should have the fix as well.

Unlikely that they would put a fix in the beta FSD release and not production. Also unlikely that the fix is software.

Reactions: xEvoLveDx

I have the latest 10.11 as of yesterday. I'll check later on today after work, but I'm very, very dubious.

Also unlikely that the fix is software.
They could patch the issue in software by biasing the torque to the rear under light acceleration and only use the front motors under heavy acceleration. It would be an easy fix. It might negatively reduce efficiency slightly. I'd guess they probably use the front motor almost entirely now for light acceleration and let the rear freewheel.

They could patch the issue in software by biasing the torque to the rear under light acceleration and only use the front motors under heavy acceleration. It would be an easy fix. It might negatively reduce efficiency slightly. I'd guess they probably use the front motor almost entirely now for light acceleration and let the rear freewheel.
So what’s the defect/culprit then? The front DU or inverter? Fix the root cause, please!

Reactions: xEvoLveDx
So what’s the defect/culprit then? The front DU or inverter? Fix the root cause, please!
Probably the shafts, I'd guess.

I'm a bit suspect of the issue being entirely related to the extreme half shaft angle. After watching the Munro tear down videos, it's pretty clear that Tesla changed a lot of stuff on the Plaid. I don't know why they wouldn't have lowered the motor by 1/2 or 1" to reduce the CV angles. They changed a lot of other parts. I'm guessing that since it is a subtle vibration that only shows up after 1,000 miles, they didn't catch it. I imagine they didn't drive the prototypes more than 1,000 miles before shipping it.

Ship first, fix later...

I have the latest 10.11 as of yesterday. I'll check later on today after work, but I'm very, very dubious.

Aaaand... guess what, guys? GUESS WHAT? I just saved you ALL the trouble of wasting your time like I did, because there's exactly 0.0% difference in version 2022.4.5.15 with the latest FSD BETA and the vibration issue. What a bloody surprise, eh?

• Funny
Reactions: cwanja and jebinc